Notices

Twin Clutch SST questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Clutch SST questions

Hello there, 2009 Ralliart.

Just a couple of questions.

Is it normal for my transmission to sputter a couple of times while starting from a dead stop, uphill?

Is it alright if I shift into reverse and the reverse light blinks a few times before it lets me reverse?

Keep in mind both of these have only happened a handful of times. I've had the car for about a year. Regular maintenance done. 80,000 miles.

SOMETIMES it feels like it takes a second for my transmission to catch gears, even on a flat surface, but it's not enough to scare me, just a little concern.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juke

Is it normal for my transmission to sputter a couple of times while starting from a dead stop, uphill?

Is it alright if I shift into reverse and the reverse light blinks a few times before it lets me reverse?

Keep in mind both of these have only happened a handful of times. I've had the car for about a year. Regular maintenance done. 80,000 miles.

SOMETIMES it feels like it takes a second for my transmission to catch gears, even on a flat surface, but it's not enough to scare me, just a little concern.

Thanks.
I have a 2014 RA and I've also had the Reverse light blink a few times before letting me go into reverse. I was just thinking I put it in to reverse before coming to a complete stop or something. Kind of like a warning or safety mechanism.
Far as transmission sputtering? If your talking about like it surging or doing the herky jerky movement, seems kind of normal for SST transmissions(to me it feels like driving a manual and not engaging the clutch at the right moment?).
I'm sure someone with way, way more knowledge on the SST can chime in on that issue.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by russ72
I have a 2014 RA and I've also had the Reverse light blink a few times before letting me go into reverse. I was just thinking I put it in to reverse before coming to a complete stop or something. Kind of like a warning or safety mechanism.
This has happened to me backing out of my garage. About 3 times during my ownership.

Was told I was shifting into R too quickly and to shift into D first then into R (if it kept happening)

OP, when you say Regular Maintenance when was the last time you changed your tranny fluid?

z
e
R
e
p
Old Jan 8, 2016, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Once you get past the early models, SSTs came with a hill-assist mode, which does funky things to stop you rolling back. Can't really comment on that, as my RA is 2009, and happily rolls back a little until the clutch grips.

Yep. It's even mentioned in the owner's manual. Sometimes, it's necessary to put it back into P, then try R again. Sigh.

One thing I've noticed is that the SST really likes the car being put into R with absolutely no drivetrain movement possible, ie. park brake on, or brake pedal properly applied. Mine will do the beeping, flashing-R thing if I've tried to put it into reverse without having the brakes holding everything totally immobile.

Rich
Old Feb 11, 2016, 07:32 AM

I haven't really had the transmission sputter while stopping happen... but i can tell you that I have had the reverse light flashing at me when i throw the car in reverse. Keep in mind, I had to get a brand new transmission because mine went out at about 41K. Car currently has 49K now. Seems pretty normal to me.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 08:11 AM

I did not have either of these issues with my old or new transmission. I have not seen many with similars issues either. Sounds like its time to take it to the stealership and hope the fix whatever the issue is under warrnaty.