Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Tuning tips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
For those of you interested in Flashes here is some good info.
I'll be releasing some more tuning tips and working with other vendors to get you guys some great basemaps to start with. This way the community can learn and get some good tips on fuel maps, timing maps, and other things.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...&page=11&pp=25

Stay tuned for some great free starter maps.

-Martin
vBulletin Message
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

I think the link is not working...
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thread as been deleted. But the information Martin is posting up is even more important.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Jun 29, 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

In that thread...whoever said AMS doesnt know their stuff and is in over their heads has absolutely no clue what they are talking about. Thanks for posting up the helpful tuning tips in this thread.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good post.. Explains things very well for the folks.. Nothing like tormenting an angry drunk!

I'm surprised how many people who do tune, don't even understand these concepts..
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for posting this info, Martin.

This needs to be linked over to the ECUflash forum. Some of the things I've seen floating around in there are pretty scary...

l8r)
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

^ It is scary some of the people that try to tune themselves and do not not have basic tuning knowledge.

Tuning is the one thing that i will leave to the professionals. I would like to give it a shot but i would still send the map to Martin (if he would ever have the time) to check it over for me.

Originally Posted by AMS
To simplify things pretend that low octane fuel is an angry drunk, any little provocation will set him off and explode. While high octane fuel is one of those British Gaurds with the funny hat, he won't do anything but stand there keeping cool under pressure, ha! Unfotunately to make the best torque you have to provoke the angry drunk beyond his level of toleration and he'll explode on you

Regards,

Martin Musial
lol
That is sig worthy
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

To add some information to this thread.

A lot of people are confused between pre-ignition and detonation. Detonation is what causes knock. Here's a great article on the subject(s): http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articl...ne/Detonation/

I'd also like to comment that with turbocharged engines, like our beloved Evos, peak VE is greatly affected and can be moved around by the type of turbo and boost control that is used.

In my (limited) experience, the following Evo mods affect VE to a noticeable degree:
- turbo
- boost control method
- cam shafts and cam timing
- intake manifold
- ported head

l8r)
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Keep up the good work AMS.

Every one who made the thread request to me has been emailed the info. Although, I don't see my previous post here.

Later
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This goes out to anyone. If you have had a bad experience with a vendor. PLEASE post so in the vendor / tuning review section. Due to EVO M rules its the only way we have to combat faulty product and services.

If your voice isnt spoken the next guy has no way of knowing and another person will be ripped off.

Eric
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
This goes out to anyone. If you have had a bad experience with a vendor. PLEASE post so in the vendor / tuning review section. Due to EVO M rules its the only way we have to combat faulty product and services.

If your voice isnt spoken the next guy has no way of knowing and another person will be ripped off.

Eric
Unfortunately the catch 22 of this is that if the person is smart enough to realize something is amiss, then they would have been smart enough in their initial product choice. I hear the comment that there are many good vendors that know their stuff- Um no there are only a handfull and the longterm joke is on the fanbois.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

WOW...amazing post Martin/AMS. Very thorough in explanation .
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:34 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Quick explanation:

Detonation - Quick and uncontrolled combustion, resulting in a very quick release of energy (pressurse spike) instead of controlled flame propogation.

Pre-igntion - The air/fuel mixture being set of by something else than than the spark plug. Pre-ignition is usually very destructive.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:14 PM

Got any base maps up yet, Martin?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

base evo9 maps ..
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Great Thread! Any other recommended readings that dive more into what concepts Martin started covering in this thread? I am hungry for knowledge.

Quick Reply: Tuning tips