Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Rear diff clunk after a hard upshift?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you say that this is something bad? I noticed this on mine on couple of AutoXes only when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd and it is not all the time.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that clunk is your rear diff complaining. you shouldnt be shifting that fast unless you're racing. you're eventually going to break it. if you're daily driving and doing that, then expect to pay a lot in the future since drivetrain components arent cheap
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a chance to drive one of the new 2.5 l WRX s the other day (with only 50 miles)and every time i shifted you could hear the ''clunk'' i figured it was normal...the thing rips pretty good for a stocker though...im just not getting used to the front end yet.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:56 PM

I have this similiar noise, but it happens more often. For example if Im in 1st gear and let out the clutch you can hear the clunk rather loud...When I took the car for an oil change one of the guys said it might be my U-Joint. The car does this sound even when I shift slow...any suggestions as to what it may be? Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kshatriya
I have this similiar noise, but it happens more often. For example if Im in 1st gear and let out the clutch you can hear the clunk rather loud...When I took the car for an oil change one of the guys said it might be my U-Joint. The car does this sound even when I shift slow...any suggestions as to what it may be? Thanks
it could be other things than your rear diff if it's when shifting slowly. i'd check the rear suspension arms' bushings and ball joints for tears and breaks. as well as your rear sway bar end links and mount bushings.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

I can't believe all of you guys get this clunk, even when shifting very fast, if you have proper technique while letting the clutch out, you should get no clunk. It should feel very smooth and it is actually faster.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:54 PM

"fast is slow and smooth is fast" technique is everything (but sometimes not a cure)
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Time your shifting better and slow it down OR replace the diff bushings. Pretty simple fix here guys. It's NOT the u-joint, it's not the clutch it IS the nut behind the wheel. Just a precautionary inspection of the rear diff carrier and bushings will tell you if something is wrong. Check the torque on the carrier bolts while you are at it. If all is well, slow down your shifting a bit.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone tried the upgraded bushings or any other techniques to eliminate this problem? What works and what doesn't?

I just got my evo and was startled the first time it happened...I've learned to take it easier on the shifts to eliminate most of it...
Old Dec 14, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by allricedout
i got a chance to drive one of the new 2.5 l WRX s the other day (with only 50 miles)and every time i shifted you could hear the ''clunk'' i figured it was normal...the thing rips pretty good for a stocker though...im just not getting used to the front end yet.
The new Subaru's have a very weak rear tranny mount from what I understand. It's a problem, and the dealers are declining to do anything about it - pointing to abuse issues instead. Our 06 STI does the clunk anytime that you get on it at all.. I've been meaning to go to the dealer to see what they will do about it.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it's the LSD
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binh
Has anyone tried the upgraded bushings or any other techniques to eliminate this problem? What works and what doesn't?

I just got my evo and was startled the first time it happened...I've learned to take it easier on the shifts to eliminate most of it...
Bushings will do the trick but if you smooth it usually doesn't happen.

It doesn't bother me, after a quick 1-2 shift I get a free back message.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

lol .. free massage..
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Its called BANGING GEARS to use an old muscle car phrase.If you dont want to hear it anymore(which isnt the greatest thing for the drivetrain)you will just have to learn how to shift it correctly at high rpm,s and fast shifts. The clunking is normal when banging gears.But i would change my shifting style rather than do potential harm over time to your gearbox, clutch,diff gears etc,etc.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Try getting the Beatrush Diff Carrier bushings or something similar. I know Whiteline makes a set for the Evo as well.

I also did the Driveshaft Bushings as well.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rear diff clunk after a hard upshift?