Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How To Launch The Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with stock clutch, forget it.
My brother launced his evo 6 at redline and the 2nd time fried his disc and screw his 3rd gear damned AYC.
he was used when driving evo3.
If you are planning to launch it frequently, just find and install the RS version rear stuff and get rid of AYC. INSTALL A strong clutch system. But even then you will **** your gearbox after some time so you have to change the gearbox internals.

EVO 4 EVER
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TRDHarrier
I just cant seem to properly launch the Evo. I dont burn the clutch and never smelled a burning smell. When I drop the clutch from 5K, it doesnt move. When I slowly disengage it from 5K, it goes. What is the proper way to launch it? I was used to driving FR and FF in manual. Only drove AWD in automatic. I just cant seem to get it right and don't want to mess my clutch up.
Try to rev at 2-3k rpm, release clutch gently then let your evo roll for a bit in 1st gear then FLOOR It!! Less stress on your clutch and drivetrain than dropping clutch at 4-5k rpms.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

would post a vid that i have of me launching at 6k rpm but i dont think that they mods would like that too much.... if ne1 is interested pm me and ill let ya have a look ;]
Old Jul 6, 2004, 05:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
7000 RPM Drop on a single disc aftermarket clutch. I've seen this done, and it's sick. I like it.

I'll try it tell you later on stock clutch.

Don't slip above 4000 RPM, you'll cook your clutch.

twin disc clutch should never drop, it should be slipped.

This is from last weekend with some launch testings with other evos.

That was fun.

Last edited by plokivos; Jul 6, 2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 05:17 AM

The best way? Gently....the fastest way???..that is somehting else
Old Aug 18, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

when i ran a 13.51 at the track here in vegas (all stock, no mods of any kind). i would rev the engine until it sat on 7k. i would pull the e-brake and start to slip the clutch. now it is a slight slip. probably a quater of the way above a full press. when doin this i notice that all my wheels would lock. i really cant describe the feelin, but it felt the wheels where locked up. probably because i was slipping the clutch at high rpms and the car wanted to move, but e-brake wouldnt allow it. once the light hit green and i released the clutch(basically just drop it). i shot off like a bullet and no burning clutch smell. i think this is the best way to launch.

so my 2 cents is u how to launch a few hundreds rpm above your max hp rating. which would be different if u have mods and a reflash or new ECU. pull the e-brake and slip the clutch. if u feel a locking of your wheels, then your car is ready to be launched like a bullet. i think in the process u should begin the slip as the first yellow light flashes. so u will not but to much stress on the clutch

now if someone feels this i wrong then let me know, but it help me get a 13.51 in the 1/4 with a stock evo in vegas.

Last edited by LostSoul Evo; Aug 18, 2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

so lets say i drop it a couple times, and then i am in need of a clutch, for a daily driver,(for now) that i drive the **** out of, who do i get the clutch from, and haw many franklins is it going to set me back.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Iv had the best results with 5700-6000rpm dumping the clutch. My stock clutch won't lock up in 1st gear if I try to slip launch it from 5000-5500rpm. clutch will hold much better with a dump.

I average about 1.75-1.80 on a slip launch (and give up 1/8mph)
I have gotten a bunch of 1.67-1.70 60' times dumping it at 6000, tires chirp for a second and we go off with a slight bog.

Seems to me that launch tecnique is determined by the clutch, as the stock clutch cannot take the power/weight/traction these cars have. The ideal was to leave in an awd car is slipping it out fast and letting the clutch take some of the shock.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Launched my car for the first time today. 5500rpms. I sliped the clutch a little to much at the begining. so I got the rotten fish smell, but the car felt like it was trying to take flight. my friends was like," man I think we just popped a wheelie" hahahahaah. it was cool but I don't think I'm gonna do it very often. the ole' stock clutch just didn't seem to like it. the car only has 1400miles on it. I would like to keep the clutch for atleast the next 5-10k before I have to spend 2g's on a clutch and install.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

6000 rpms - Slip clutch quickly = roasted clutch
5000 rpms - Slip clutch quickly = roasted clutch
4500 rpms - Slip clutch quickly = roasted clutch
4000 rpms - Slip clutch quickly = roasted clutch

WTF?

The only time I can "launch" my EVO is when Im moving about 10-15mph, rev it to 5500 and DROP the clutch...but I cant do that everytime.

The car has a brand new clutch in it (1500 miles back) I guess the previous owner couldn't figure it out either.

I'd almost rather get some sh*tty tires that will spin and dump the clutch!?!

Tires=$500
Clutch=$1200
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:52 PM

i just drop my clutch at anywhere from 6-7000 rpms..and launch the **** out of it..oh i love it..
and get into second gear real quick shifting.
Love it when it loses traction!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

with my old tires i dumped the clutch at 6500 rpm and off she went squelling liked a stuff pig. go ahead and say its wrong, but 1.655 60's say other wise.
i put on new tires yesterday and tried launching the same way and couldnt' get better than a 1.70. They grip WAYYYY to much. On one run I did something right, what I don't know I have to find out, but I ran a 1.427 60' so I did something right.
Launching an AWD depends on many things
1) Tires
2) Clutch
3) Surface
An aftermarket clutch, depending on your mods and tires you CAN dump it. I dont' have money but am confident my car will handle it. I have over 50 drag strip runs on my car with an ACT2600
With sticky tires its better to slip it a little.
As for a stock EVO, I never ran it stock, but slipping the clutch in at 5500-6000rpm seemed to work the best.
Ever car has its characteristics, you just have to find what works best for you.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:51 PM

I know what you all are talking about, and I agree with the advice! I bought an HD clutch so I wouldn't have to deal with this problem.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

shinobi you are responding to a post from 2 years ago. I wounder if they ever figured it out?
Old May 3, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
with the amount of evo clutch jobs we are doing at my shop i doubt it

Quick Reply: How To Launch The Evo