Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Pros and Cons of going E85

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold and hot starts can absolutely be fixed by a tuner, or yourself, using the vast information found in this (alternative fuel) forum.

For the trips where E85 may not be readily available, simply have your tuner set you up on 93 octane and E85 with maps that you can switch between. The swtich takes very little time and is painless.

In addition, the gas mileage is not horrific, as I still average close to 19 mpg around town. Of course, this is heavily dependent on driving habits.

Bang for the buck, you simply cannot beat E85. Your car, with the advance in timing and increase in boost, will feel completely new...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
wouldnt be really safe to take a road trip in the evo after that.. unless you map out a route based on where there are e85 stations lol.. so you might have to start trailering the evo to events or getting a big drum or something
Having dual maps setup for E85 and pump gas will take care of that.

Originally Posted by gymnasty
so in other words cold and hot starts can be fixed with a good tuner then?
Yes.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

haha this is awesome
how bad are your cold starts tho?
and wouldnt e85 retain water if its kept without use for long periods of time?
thanks!
it starts after the 2nd crank with gas, and some times if its really cold or the car hasn't been on for a while it will die if you don't catch it and give it more gas while idling until its a little warmed up.

different cars tunes and weather make for different experiences, when I first made the switch I started up on the first crank and it would not die while warming up. even on a cold morning

it will retain water but you should be good to store it for 1 to 2 months depending on your containers and where its stored.

I was thinking of putting some silica gel packs on the bottom of the caps to help the e85 last longer but I don't know if that will help very much and I don't really store it for long periods of time. I DD the car until my left overs from the track days are gone cause I don't want to risk storing it until the next track day and having it spoil.

Last edited by Montu; Apr 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kasaper
E85 is very Hydroscopic! Draws moisture, and therefore not recommended for storage over 30days or more. Not to worry tho, it burns so fast you'll be filling her up every week!!! The new found power is addictive!!!! I have't run anything else int 3 years!!!
I think you mean hygroscopic...sorry, just trying to make sure you know the difference between the two.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

thank you ALL for the fast replies and answers that clarifies all my questions but there is still one thing im confused about. whats the deal with all the gunk/gum build up on the valves and injectors? i was under the impression that e85 is cleaner and wouldnt have the nasty gunk build up we get from regular gasoline. again thank you fellas!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

thank you ALL for the fast replies and answers that clarifies all my questions but there is still one thing im confused about. whats the deal with all the gunk/gum build up on the valves and injectors? i was under the impression that e85 is cleaner and wouldnt have the nasty gunk build up we get from regular gasoline. again thank you fellas!
There are very few instances of this happening. However, from what I have read and heard, this generally happens with smaller stations that continue to add the detergents, etc. that you must add with typical gasoline batches. These detergents simply do not hold in solution in the E85, and end up on your injectors, etc.

To combat this potential issue, you can either run an inline filter to protect you fuel system, etc. or you can run a batch of 93 octane once every 5 or so E85 fills. The gasoline will loosen and remove the deposits, but all may cause "hot spotting" on your pistons if you have a solid amount of deposition in your system.

The best best is an inline filter if you are worried about getting a bad batch of E85.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

thank you cheb! can you provide me with a link where i can purchase this in-line filter so i can have some piece of mind when pumping e85
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

I Been thinking of going to E85 too.. Is any of y'all car is DD.

Thanks..
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:36 AM

As stated cold starts can be had with a good tune. Also note the cold weather mileage on the trip meter. if I can daily drive with it year round in Minnesota anybody should be able to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgejK5IDs0

Enjoy e85

Last edited by kruthles; Apr 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

^
i should work on my cold start lol
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

thank you cheb! can you provide me with a link where i can purchase this in-line filter so i can have some piece of mind when pumping e85
Here is one that I have seen used with great success...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonsuz01
I Been thinking of going to E85 too.. Is any of y'all car is DD.

Thanks..
i daily my car.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I DD'ed my car on e85 for over a year one thing i noticed was that cold timing trim helps with e85 if your one of those people that just hops in and goes like i do. Before the engine warms up fully e85 tends to have ignition blowout if you reach any level of boost. The solution for me was to create a timing reduction trim using the warm up timing trim table and the wamup trim percentage table to phase it out gradually as the car got warmer.

E85 also seemed to like substantially more fuel when the engine temp dropped below 60F the fuel to get the car to reliably kick over with initial fuel pulse rising much more than regular gas.

Another warmup table touched I found it easier to make the car run slightly rich on warmup with maf comp vs engine temp so cold engine performance wasn't as effected. I live in a place with a pretty large and steep driveway so you need more than the average amount of power to make it and having the car go lean wasn't an option.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kruthles
As stated cold starts can be had with a good tune. Also note the cold weather mileage on the trip meter. if I can daily drive with it year round in Minnesota anybody should be able to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgejK5IDs0

Enjoy e85
wow i was expecting something really rough and nasty lol
looks just like a normal start but a bit slower. i can live with that
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:38 PM

Like everyone else stated cold starts have been my only issue and my tuner got it to where im starting second crank every time even in -40 weather. The only other downside is the few amount of gas stations but other than that its great. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of going E85