Notices
ECU Flash

New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 01:02 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Se7ve
Thanks for the detailed response. I have posted a ticket on the Evoscan site but didn't know if it was still active for support tickets

The tablet I am considering is a Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet 64GB SSD 2GB Win8.1Pro 3G 5570 HSPA.

Apologies for the over requesting but due to a special offer on the tablet, time is a constraint for me.

Again, thanks for the response
Yep EvoScan.com site is active for support tickets, I saw you had logged tickets all over the place. I replied to your support ticket before I replied on this thread.

If you are getting this... Intel® Xeon® Processor X5570(8M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) beware it was released in early 2009, soo old, therefore its going to be a heap of junk in terms of performance, battery life and hot temperature output, if your car has good aircon blowing air over it and a nuclear power plant, it should be fine...
Old Jan 11, 2015, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, sorry bout that , kinda panicked as the clock was counting down to the offer.

The processor is : Intel Atom processor Z3740D (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core) which was launched late 2013 afaik.

Once the software is compatible with the tablet that's my main concern.

I have one of the old 1.3u cables, I *may* have to get a new cable?

Last edited by Se7ve; Jan 11, 2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:29 AM

Will evoscan work on the nexus 7 or 9? ? I have been thinking about doing a nexus 7 in dash install on my evo x. Just curious if it will work with evoscan as well.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 08:24 PM

Is evoscan for android software available separately from the Evodroid 7 so you can run it on your own android device?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You guys can use evoscan on another tablet but there are no gaurantee's it will work 100%. Thats why he chose to supply the tablet.
Personally I think i want to go the route of a windows tablet with some kinda real/better gps satellite add on.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 01:14 PM
Silver Sponsor

The processor is : Intel Atom processor Z3740D (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core) which was launched late 2013 afaik.

Once the software is compatible with the tablet that's my main concern.

I have one of the old 1.3u cables, I *may* have to get a new cable?
EDITED: yes Intel Atom will work because it is x86 based. evoscan will install fine and work on any x86 based windows o/s windows7/8/8.1/10

yes any 1.3U cable even old ones are still good to go.

Last edited by evoscan; Feb 21, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 01:22 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Indianbrandon
Will evoscan work on the nexus 7 or 9? ? I have been thinking about doing a nexus 7 in dash install on my evo x. Just curious if it will work with evoscan as well.
is Nexus 7 even still in active development? there is no more Nexus 7 for sale in New Zealand? and aren't they really too expensive? about $100-200USD more for the nexus7 than a KindleFire7 for the same hardware?

I am looking into releasing another version of EvoDroid7 with Kindle Fire HD 7 (4th Generation) Quad Core. the usb port is currently being a pain, no root event access to put the device in standby with accessory key.. it is work in progress.. every new android device is never the same as the last.. *sigh*. Kindle Fire7 has no GPS.. is gps even important? can't you have a dedicated GPS on the other side of your dash? or just use Siri for your GPS?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 01:41 PM
Silver Sponsor

This is what Kevin Tofel had to say about this back on Jan. 15, 2013,

1. ARM-based: A Windows RT tablet for around $500 that has acceptable performance, a Desktop limited to Microsoft Office use, no support for legacy software and a device that runs for about 10 hours on a charge.
  2. Intel Atom-based: A Windows 8 tablet for around $500 that has slightly better performance, no desktop or software installation limitations and runs for 8 to 10 hours on a charge.
  3. Intel Core-based: A windows 8 tablet for around $900 that offers the best performance, has no desktop or software installation limitations and runs for 4 to 5 hours on a charge.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

GPS is deadly important to me. I tab out to evodroid (sometimes i have to do this twice to get the connection established)when i'm on the highway and someone wants to play otherwise it's in gps mode. Only thing that sucks is that evodroid can't log in the background then it'd be perfect. I am still running your first version so if u want to get rid of your second generation which has supposed "faster" satellite reception. Let me know
Once the satelites are connected it runs pretty smoothly but sometimes it can take 30+ minutes or just never connect at all.

Going with kindle 7 or anything that has built in bloatware is the wrong direction, last thing i want is a stupid popup forcing me to update while i'm using such a device while driving.
With no GPS I may as well just get a window based tablet and run evoscan and not bother with any of these issues. I want a gps solution that is built in and not something I have to mount and unmount.
Originally Posted by evoscan
is Nexus 7 even still in active development? there is no more Nexus 7 for sale in New Zealand? and aren't they really too expensive? about $100-200USD more for the nexus7 than a KindleFire7 for the same hardware?

I am looking into releasing another version of EvoDroid7 with Kindle Fire HD 7 (4th Generation) Quad Core. the usb port is currently being a pain, no root event access to put the device in standby with accessory key.. it is work in progress.. every new android device is never the same as the last.. *sigh*. Kindle Fire7 has no GPS.. is gps even important? can't you have a dedicated GPS on the other side of your dash? or just use Siri for your GPS?

Last edited by Grimgrak; Feb 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:37 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
GPS is deadly important to me.

Going with kindle 7
including GPS costs an extra $150, i.e. Nexus same hardware with GPS is $150 more.

it is not called kindle. it is called Fire HD 7 (4th Generation). and it is not bloatware it runs android v4.4.3 with all the same APIs. and FireHD7(4thgen) is actually a skinny and higher performing version, without all of the google bloatware.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have any pictures of the new Fire 7 HD unit running? What's the price shipped to the US?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'll take the gps version. I've noticed the v1 evoscan gps does work when it can connect but it's just in big cities that it can't connect unless it's 3am or at a time with less "satalite" users. Hopefully this wont have the same issue.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:30 AM
Silver Sponsor

unfortunately Kindle Fire HD6, nor HD7, nor HDX7 doesn't seem to list any GPS included. thats a shame because the FireHD screens are amazing brightness in sunlight and have full 360degree viewing angles, just as well I don't mind not having GPS. But for those that do, the next options might be a GalaxyTab7 or Nexus7 to try and get the Full OLED quality brightness screen in sunlight, even if they are a few hundred bucks more, just for GPS.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 03:52 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by evoscan
unfortunately Kindle Fire HD6, nor HD7, nor HDX7 doesn't seem to list any GPS included. thats a shame because the FireHD screens are amazing brightness in sunlight and have full 360degree viewing angles, just as well I don't mind not having GPS. But for those that do, the next options might be a GalaxyTab7 or Nexus7 to try and get the Full OLED quality brightness screen in sunlight, even if they are a few hundred bucks more, just for GPS.
my phone has GPS. i'd rather have a decent screen for the monitors.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 01:43 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by ivey
I have the 1.3u cable I believe? The one with obd2 flash cable and usb for the laptop on the other end, is this this the same as 1.3DA?
Just to clarify, I am getting a lot of questions on this this week. The 1.3DA is not the same as 1.3U. the 1.3U is $137, the 1.3DA is $57.

The 1.3DA is for android. the 1.3DA is not a cable. the 1.3DA is a computer in a tiny OBDII box. it has a usb port, a serial port, and 3 sensor inputs, that you can plug the android into. and the 1.3DA also charges the Android tablet over USB using a 3.0Amp charger circuit, which is current limited by the tablet itself to about 0.5 to 2.0amp during charging.

Quick Reply: New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review