EVO VIII SD Problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VIII SD Problem

Hi currently running a 2003 Evo
Mods in sig

Just began getting my build wrapped up and now im in transition to SD.

Recently added a WB 450lph FP and FIC Bluemax 1450cc injectors

I also had to remove my afpr because it wouldnt read any psi on first startup during idle so im currently on stock FPR

Anyway I start the car with the SD map for first time and get an idle AFR of 10.9 and when I push hard on the gas the car bucks and stalls. When I gently apply gas the car will rev to 5k normally then sputter.

So I chang VE RPM @ 1250 and 1500 to 75 through much trial amd error and got AFR to 13.4 but still no change in WOT bucking.

The car will shake and almost stall completely with any sudden throttle and hasn't moved and inch under its own power in days.

Any ideas? I have had so many problems with this build. Im desperate.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

What did you set the injector scaling and latency to?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Scaling 1218

Latency

If I take it to 1329
AFR sits at 10.1
Old Apr 18, 2015, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm... If you increase the scaling it should lean out, not get richer.

Are you looking at your wideband when it buck and stalls? I would guess it is lean under these circumstances.

Did you verify that your map sensor is scaled properly?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

That's what I thought as well? Which is why I tried 1329 and 1460 both yielded rich conditions

Wideband jumps to 17 then bucks and reverts to 22.4 because the car dies for about 3 sec then AFR drops to 11.1 at idle for 2 min and will slowly climb but never back above 12 after I rev it unless I shut the car off.

Also I will look into proper map scaling I got the basemap from a friend who has an identical setup just not FF and he's been driving circles around me.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Also, I would take it out of closed loop, assuming you haven't already. Sometimes closed loop corrections can make things more confusing when you are making adjsutments. Once you have the fueling dialled in pretty well you can put it back into closed loop.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

This might be a bit out there, but prior to swapping out the injectors, were you running SD or on the MAF? If you were running on the MAF, it might be worth it to throw the old injectors back in the car in order to have a baseline to tune against. Once the car is running good and the tune seems square, then drop the 1450s back in so that you only have to deal with one set of variables at a time.

Again, that's just my thought process.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Update... after waking up @ 6am to get to the shop on Sunday to review data
Map sensor scaled correctly I went word for word via tutorial just to make sure I wasn't missing something I didnt understand.
Im going over the the cars ecu. And it was in closed loop. I didn't think of it since the map was working on my friends car. So im changing the values now to run open

However im slightly suspicious of the new fuel pump or something along those lines.

I tested the brand new fuel pressure gauge with a compressor and it works.....so why would the afpr read 0 and why only when I step on it is it choking. The STM rewire kit is wired in properly the fuel pump is in and not leaking.

Still going forward with running open loop will report back
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StreetEvo
This might be a bit out there, but prior to swapping out the injectors, were you running SD or on the MAF? If you were running on the MAF, it might be worth it to throw the old injectors back in the car in order to have a baseline to tune against. Once the car is running good and the tune seems square, then drop the 1450s back in so that you only have to deal with one set of variables at a time.

Again, that's just my thought process.
I was running maf however the switch to an FF turbo was what the SD conversion was for. I have been debating the idea of throwing in the the old injectors. Thanks for talking me into it.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

It's choking when you step on it b/c you're flooding the cylinder with fuel. I ran into this issue when I disabled Lean Spool on my car. The car drove great at part throttle, but as soon it went WOT it would bottom out the AFR (7.9 on my LC-1) and immediately go lean and felt it like you were trying to pull a semi with the car.

With the AFPR, was the plumbing correct? Does your fuel rail have a port to mount the gauge? If it does, have you tried to mount the gauge directly to the fuel rail to check it?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

I had an aem fuel rail with a port however during installation we had one of the factory screws used in mock up shear in the rail so I switched it to the stock one for now.
I used a MAP kit I had one side port blocked one side port from passenger side rail and bottom port was sent to return everything is plumbed with 6an stainless teflon brand new and purged.

Last edited by SR Concepts; Apr 19, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Update

so first thing I noticed post leaving the shop and looking over the map was that MAP MID MAX VE was 4.80 instead of 4.90..... I am running a 4BAR

could that cause the sputtering? Only reason i ask now is i really don't want to blow another day of shop time on my own car unless I can have some info on the 4.80 causing the problem I have been having.

Open loop yielded no change
fine part throttle revs while stationary but a WOT stationary rev causes the car to sputter and cut out.

Let me know if you need VE table pics

Also been toying with latency's does anyone have an opinion on these?

Any help I'm grateful and sitting with open eyes
thanks
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you running SD or SD2.0 with 3dVE table?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Just SD atm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

If everything was scaled to a 5 bar map sensor would that be causing my issue?
I just looked into
Boost error, desired and alternate boost settings
All were scaled to a 5 bar instead of OMNI 4
I won't know until tomorrow myself but just trying to get an idea ahead of time.

Quick Reply: EVO VIII SD Problem