Notices
ECU Flash

Speed density on AUDM evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed density on AUDM evo 9

Hey all,

I've an AUDM evo 9 that does not come with a map sensor from factory. I purchased a spoolinup speed density harness with a map sensor connector and IAT connector.

Am I still required to run wires from the map sensor /IAT to the ECU? Or does it just connect to the MAF sensor connector?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump
Old Jul 12, 2016, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Dont do it, MAF is way better for Evos.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I've got a AUDM Evo 9 running speed density and it runs heaps better than it ever did on the MAF. I'm running the 88591715 Tephra V7 rom, tuned remotely by Chris from Pure Drive Performance. The way I set mine up with the iat (tapped into the intake mani) plugged into the maf plug with the spoolinup harness. I also have a 4 bar map sensor installed which is wired directly to the ecu. This is installed on one of the small hoses attached to the intake mani and the cables run to the hole behind the drivers side suspension strut, into the cab and across to the ecu in the passenger side foot well. I purchased some ecu plugs for spoolinup and the 3 cables, after putting a plug on the signal wire, are attached to the ecu (the signal wire, now with the ecu pin attached, plugged into the currently unused map pin on the ecu, one wire attached to a ground wire and one attached to a power wire. I can look up the ecu pin numbers if you like, I can't remember them off the top of my head). Your tuner adjusts the tune, with a speed density map installed, to suit the new info being supplied. Job done.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

pins I used are 46 (chassis ground), 47 (+12v) and 92 (MAP sensor).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

of course I have the original spoolinup cable that only takes signal from the iat via the maf connector, not the jdm cable that, I assume can take signal from both the iat and map sensor, via the maf connector. You'll still need to install the iat sensor and a map sensor then it's my understanding that you will need to access your cars ecu (passengers footwell), unplugged the baro pin (51) and take that wire and plug it into pin 92 (map sensor, which won't have a wire attached on Aussie 9's).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

This is the problem then......my pin 51 is the Immobiliser and my pin 92 is sensor ground.

I'm thinking that the Spoolinup cable can't even be used now....?? I can wire the MAP sensor and the IAT directly to the ECU, but would rather use the Spoolinup cable or make another cable to use with the MAF connector.

Any ideas??

Thank you AUSSIE guys for this great information.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

that's certainly an issue, the pin layout in the ecu is different for all the Evo's. Not sure for a 7, and the problem is that because the 7's weren't imported into the US there's bugger all support for them, I'm not even sure if there's a speed density equipped rom for the 7 (not having one I've never looked into it). I guess if there is a rom available it should be written to redirect the info being provided by the sensors so the spoolinup cable should still work. I would probably hard wire the map sensor to the three pins (ground, 12v, and maybe a spare pin) then get your tuner to adjust the tune so the needed information reads from that pin (the code would be the same, just reading between 0 and 5 volts, but the pin info would have to change). As far as the iat sensor info goes this should already be adjusted to in any Evo 7 speed density equip rom, so that should be fine.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

repost
Old Jul 14, 2016, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, this is what I get for importing an Evo7 to the US, but I have one of the few....

PIN 72 is air temp, so I'm good there.

PIN 73 is empty on mine.

I'll have to find out which PIN is being used for the MAP sensor to ECU cause I really don't want to run 3 wires. I like the clean engine look.

Shouldn't be that hard.......right?

Last edited by gvr4v; Jul 14, 2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

I think pin 90 is the air flow input. Have you spoken to your tuner about this (if you have one) and can you confirm that there is a speed density map available for the Evo 7?

It's funny about the 7, here in Australia the 7 is as common as mud, lots around and probably the least desirable CT because they're old and have weaker rods so engine rebuilds are pretty much necessary for anything over stock power output, but over in the States they're desirable because they're rare. On that rebuild thing, has your motor built, because if it isn't I'd be very careful indeed about increasing the power level, the 7's rods are substantially weaker than the 8's and 9's and don't take kindly to the extra stress!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, the motor is built.

2001 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION 7 (VII) MOD LIST

STOCK BLOCK:
STOCK CRANK – BUTCHERED FROM FFWD – 5 LBS LIGHTER
EAGLE RODS
WISECO PISTONS – 9:1 – STOCK BORE

STOCK HEAD:
FP COMP CAMS 119200 (aka 270 plus)
STOCK SPRINGS/RETAINERS
PORTED AND POLISHED

EXHAUST:
FORCED PERFORMANCE – GREEN – 1 ST GENERATION
WASTEGATE: FP 18 PSI
STOCK MANIFOLD – PORTED AND CERAMIC COATED
HOT SIDE: 10.5 WITH SINGLE FLAPPER – PORTED AND CERAMIC COATED
O2 HOUSING: DONT REMEMBER, BUT ITS NICE- CERAMIC COATED
DP AND EXHAUST: FULL 3” - NO CAT (RESONATOR)

INTAKE:
STOCK MANIFOLD – PORTED FOR A 70MM THROTTLE BODY.
OMNI 4 BAR MAP SENSOR – UK EVO7'S DID NOT HAVE ONE.
GM IAT IN UPPER I/C PIPE
SPOOLINUP SD HARNESS – TRYING TO USE
TROTTLE BODY: S90 70MM THROTTLE BODY
STOCK MAF – HKS INLET WITH CUSTOM AIR BOX

FUEL SYSTEM:
FIC 1250 CC INJECTORS
WALBRO E85 RACING FUEL PUMP 450LPH
PERRIN FUEL RAIL
PAXTON FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR – SET AT 46PSI

GRIMMSPEED EBC

INNOVATE MTXL WIDE BAND WIRED FOR EVOSCAN TO LOG

EVOSCAN

ECUFLASH

As far as tuners go: I have a great tuner that can do the my car as it sits. But I want to go to Speed Density and he is not familiar enough with it, so we decided to get a tuner that can do SD. So I contacted 2 of the top tuners from this forum and both said they can do it. So I paid the first one for a SD tune and waited a entire week....no response. So I got a refund from paypal and paid the 2nd tuner. He started on it that weekend, took all day to even write a ROM, waited another week before he sent a ROM...it didn't start and now its another week gone and the still does not start with the SD rom and this is where we are at..................

Are there any remote tuners in your area that can do SD on an E7?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

Hey.

That setup looks great, no problems there.

I know that my tuner, Christian from Pure Drive Performance, has remote tuned a 7 that was based in New Zealand, so I'd definitely email him about your car, he's a great tuner and the most thoroughly professional person I've delt with in the Evo community. I did use another very popular tuner on EvoM and had no end of issues, going over to Chris was one of the best things I did with my Evo. I don't know the details of the tune on the 7, whether it was speed density or not, but Chris is more than capable of manipulating code (he did for my tune) so I think he'd be worth a try.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can sort it if you get stuck.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you Fireescape. I will contact them. This will be difficult due to the fact that we are more than 12 hours apart. I will email them on sunday night and see what they say.

My tuner is going to try and get the car to run today on Speed Density.

Benja - IM STUCK!! I just need to get it started on Speed Density so he can tune.

Thank you.

Last edited by gvr4v; Jul 17, 2016 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Speed density on AUDM evo 9