Notices
ECU Flash

HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 02:39 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
people with the Stream 7, what kind of logging speeds are you guys seeing. Now that i have mine all mounted up and im trying to fine tune it, im seeing terrible logging speed.

Edit: please list the cable you are using with your samples per second. With the openport 2.0 im seeing anywhere from 10/sec to 75 and it seems like its coming in bursts not a smooth stream of data.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Sep 25, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 04:40 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Stream7 is not the only Full Windows8 PC hitting shores now sub $200... I estimate over 200 tablets with these processors now.. at a cost of less than $40 per chip for intel and $16 for full copy windows8 or full windows 10, I am not surprised. I am going to make EvoScan more touch friendly in light of the following new cherry trail chipsets that look like it is starting to slice the android market to pieces

Cherry Trail is AMAZING on battery life, less heat dispersion too! they are going to be awesome for motorsport.

NEW Cherry Trail (2015)

This new and latest family of Atom processors, code-name Cherry Trail (14nm) are currently available in the following variants:
  • Intel® Atom™ x7-Z8700 Processor (2M Cache, up to 2.40 GHz) 64-bit 14nm – BEST
  • Intel® Atom™ x5-Z8500 Processor (2M Cache, up to 2.24 GHz) 64-bit 14nm – BETTER
  • Intel® Atom™ x5-Z8300 Processor (2M Cache, up to 1.84 GHz) 64-bit 14nm – GOOD

Old Bay Trail – T (2014)

The more common processor to grace the tablets are of the Bay Trail – T (22nm) generation. These Quad Core Processors SoCs have the following features:
  • All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4,[2] Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation), Intel Burst Performance Technology (BPT), Intel VT-x, AES-NI.
  • GPU and memory controller are integrated onto the processor die
  • GPU is based on Ivy Bridge Intel HD Graphics, with 4 execution units, and supports DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.0, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenCL 1.1 (on Windows)
Intel® Atom™ Z3735F Quad Core 1.33GHz (Burst Frequency 1.86GHz) 2MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor 2.2W – GOOD
Intel® Atom™ Z3745 Quad Core 1.33GHz (Burst Frequency 1.86GHz) 2MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor 2W – GOOD
Intel® Atom™ Z3775 Quad Core 1.46GHz (Burst Frequency 2.39GHz) 2MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor 2W – BETTER
Intel® Atom™ Z3795 Quad Core 1.56GHz (Burst Frequency 2.39GHz) 2MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor 2W – BETTER
OLDEST Cloverview (2013)

Some older tablets, featured at the bottom of this article are based on the previous generation Atom processor. These processors have only half the L2 Cache and only handles 32-bit instruction set. Cloverview (32nm) Dual Core SoCs with the following features:
  • All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), XD bit (an NX bit implementation), Hyper-Threading, Intel Burst Performance Technology (BPT).
  • GPU and memory controller are integrated onto the processor die
Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz Dual Core 1MB L2 Cache 32-bit Processor
Old Sep 28, 2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by evoscan
Stream7 is not the only Full Windows8 PC hitting shores now sub $200... I estimate over 200 tablets with these processors now.. at a cost of less than $40 per chip for intel and $16 for full copy windows8 or full windows 10, I am not surprised. I am going to make EvoScan more touch friendly in light of the following new cherry trail chipsets that look like it is starting to slice the android market to pieces

Cherry Trail is AMAZING on battery life, less heat dispersion too! they are going to be awesome for motorsport.
Wow thats great news. I really look forward to those updates. Do you have any advice on troubleshooting to try and find the bottleneck in the logging speed? I have really old hardware that blows away the stream 7 logging speed wise, and i can't really account for it.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Will a Windows tablet with an Atom z3740d be sufficient to run EvoScan and EcuFlash?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hamish,
I totally get following the good hardware, but does this mean you're going to abandon Evodroid (which I just purchased and can't get to work)? Surely you have limited time to do this fun stuff on the side, so please layout your roadmap such that your customers can invest in the right hardware.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Hamish,
I totally get following the good hardware, but does this mean you're going to abandon Evodroid (which I just purchased and can't get to work)? Surely you have limited time to do this fun stuff on the side, so please layout your roadmap such that your customers can invest in the right hardware.
Kinda jumping the gun here, all he said was he was going to add more touch support to evoscan. Which would be really awsome! Evodroid is like its own separate thing.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 02:15 PM

after installing a pretty fast SD card and doing some optimizations on the OS i was able to get 160-180/sec. This puts this thing back in usable territory. Im still working on what kind of gauge layout im going to get away with while still keeping logging speeds up though.

SD card i used: http://shop5.frys.com/product/854944...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I got this on a pretty good sale, otherwise it would have been like 50% the cost of the tablet itself.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So are you saying when you look at your saved CSV file you actually have over 100 entries every second or that's what Evoscan says?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 02:44 PM

Im talking about what evoscan reports in the client while logging. I could be wrong but i believe each sample is one data point. So the more data points you are logging the less rows of data you will be seeing for a given logging speed.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I get why it reads a high number and people talk about getting a way higher number than what I ever get close to now. Each point if data is counted in the at number. So RPM, AFR, Boost, are 3 points but 1 line of data. I've been confused by that for a while. I am guessing certain data points probably have more of an impact on logging speed than others also. Some are derived in EvoScan by applying a formula of varying complexity to raw data and others are just logging exactly what's received from the ECU.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
I get why it reads a high number and people talk about getting a way higher number than what I ever get close to now. Each point if data is counted in the at number. So RPM, AFR, Boost, are 3 points but 1 line of data. I've been confused by that for a while. I am guessing certain data points probably have more of an impact on logging speed than others also. Some are derived in EvoScan by applying a formula of varying complexity to raw data and others are just logging exactly what's received from the ECU.
yah exactly, like 2-byte load is twice the size of 1-byte load. There are other things in evoscan that have multiple look ups which are then put through a formula. It adds an extra level in choosing what is important to log for what you are doing.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
people with the Stream 7, what kind of logging speeds are you guys seeing. Now that i have mine all mounted up and im trying to fine tune it, im seeing terrible logging speed.

Edit: please list the cable you are using with your samples per second. With the openport 2.0 im seeing anywhere from 10/sec to 75 and it seems like its coming in bursts not a smooth stream of data.
im having the same issue. openport 2.0 with win8.1 on stream 7.
mine seems to be intermittent as well. like in a wot pull it will have a gap of up to two thousand rpm in some places
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:18 AM

Im still kinda scratching my head on this. It seems the openport 2.0 is actually cutting out (Lights go dark) then starts back up again, which is causing stuttering in the logging. I found that the timeout period under device settings in evoscan directly effects how long the 2.0 stays off for, and by decreasing the timeout i have been able to achieve high logging speed averages. The thing is the 2.0 is still cutting out and recovering quickly, but i still think data is being lost. At first i thought it could be EMI from my buck converter, but the wifi works perfectly, and i would expect that to suffer the most from emi problems. Im thinking about ditching the 2.0 for a 1.3 but i really hate just throwing money at a problem without knowing what the true issue is. If anyone has any ideas im all ears at this point.

I thought i would add that ecuflash seems to work fine, i can read and write roms no problem, without any of the cutting out issues im seeing in evoscan.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Oct 15, 2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: changed boost convert to buck converter
Old Oct 17, 2015, 06:13 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Im still kinda scratching my head on this. It seems the openport 2.0 is actually cutting out (Lights go dark) then starts back up again, which is causing stuttering in the logging. I found that the timeout period under device settings in evoscan directly effects how long the 2.0 stays off for, and by decreasing the timeout i have been able to achieve high logging speed averages. The thing is the 2.0 is still cutting out and recovering quickly, but i still think data is being lost. At first i thought it could be EMI from my buck converter, but the wifi works perfectly, and i would expect that to suffer the most from emi problems. Im thinking about ditching the 2.0 for a 1.3 but i really hate just throwing money at a problem without knowing what the true issue is. If anyone has any ideas im all ears at this point.

I thought i would add that ecuflash seems to work fine, i can read and write roms no problem, without any of the cutting out issues im seeing in evoscan.
you log when moving,

you reflash when stationary.

upgrade your laptop to a SSD disk drive.

or turn off hard drive motion protection setting on your laptop
Old Oct 17, 2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by evoscan
you log when moving,

you reflash when stationary.

upgrade your laptop to a SSD disk drive.

or turn off hard drive motion protection setting on your laptop
Thanks for the reply! Actually i was doing most of my testing with the engine off, ignition on, and the stream 7 has no spinning disk. As it turns out it was a hardware issue, but a really stupid one. The USB cable i had chosen to use apparently is no good. It was a pretty nice heavily shielded cable so i wasnt suspecting it, but i tried a different cable and things improved tremendously.

So to update this thread: Replaced USB cable and logging has improved. Now im just working on a nice gauge layout.

Quick Reply: HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan