Notices
ECU Flash

Evo wont let me tune! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo wont let me tune! Help please!

Basically here is my issue… I just finished doing a ton of work to my car and now that it is all finished, for some reason , no matter how i adjust the injector setting in ecu flash, it does NOTHING. The car runs insanely rich (low 11s) and for some reason while it is running rich, the vacuum goes all the way to -20. My normal vacuum is around 10. Could this be a sign of bad injectors? They are a used set, could they be stuck open or something? I just really don't know where to go from here. I have tried EVERYTHING… If i go out and start the car when it has been sitting for a few hours, my AFR is lean as hell (16) and my vacuum is more normal (about -12) … The car will idle like this for about 3 minutes, and then BOOM! Out of nowhere, the afr goes rich and the vacuum goes to -20. My fuel pressure is right around 40psi at idle. Could this be tune related? Or does this sound like an issue with the car? Things I tried…

Replacing front o2
Replacing IAC
Replacing Coolant temp sensor
Boost leak tested... 0 leaks whatsoever

I also swapped in a set of a buddies fic 2150s, but they could also be bad I guess because they had some gunk in them and they sat for a while now.

My mods list includes….

Freshly built 2.1 with wiseco hd piston and GRP aluminum rods in a 4g64 block
Fresh head rebuild
STM forward facing kit with a .82 T3 6266
id 2000s
double pumper (wired to run both pumps full time)
-8 fuel feed
-6 fuel return
buschur intake manifold
aeromotive fuel rail
koyo half size radiator
tial Q
tial 44mm wastegate
fuelab FPR
nisei intercooler

Car is on e85 and speed density. The injector resistor pack has been removed. The only changes I made since the last time the car was running, was the injectors (had rc1200s), intake manifold (was stock), fuel pumps (had a single 450), block (was stock), and the turbo kit( used to have an fp black) ……

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

This is driving me insane. I have no clue. I talked to one tuner and he said that my car starting lean and going rich is completely normal with the large injectors because they just need to warm up and that it just needed to be leaned out, but no matter how much my other tuner adjust things in ecuflash, the cars behavior changes 0% …. i am not a tuner, so I feel lost and have no idea if this is a tune thing or not. I am getting fed up with this and hopefully someone will have some helpful info. I could not find ANYTHING on the forums besides one guy on the dsm forum had a similar issue when he was tuning a 2g dsm with stock evo injectors. He replaced the injectors and it fixed the issue. But idk if his scenario was exactly how mine is… My next step is to send the injectors out to get flow tested/cleaned tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE CHIME IN! Thank you. I look forward to your helpful suggestions.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 09:53 AM

Can you try to run it with the IAC connector disconnected? How does the car's behavior affected?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Do you have a spare ECU that you could swap in momentarily?

It would be tough to start checking continuity between the pins on the ECU and all your intake manifold peripherals, but that's what it might come down to.

-pal215
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito
Can you try to run it with the IAC connector disconnected? How does the car's behavior affected?
If I disconnect the iac it just raises my rpm to 2,000rpms
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Do you have a spare ECU that you could swap in momentarily?

It would be tough to start checking continuity between the pins on the ECU and all your intake manifold peripherals, but that's what it might come down to.

-pal215

I do have another ecu, but i dont see how it could have gone bad out of nowhere?

Last edited by Brandon Robblee; Sep 6, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Robblee
I do have another ecu, but i dont see how it could have gone bad out of nowhere?

Little update... The car is now showing these codes.

P0170

P0135

I am gonna try swapping another o2 sensor in there and see if it has any positive impact. I already tried an o2 sensor from napa, but maybe it was faulty? Wish me luck...

Last edited by Brandon Robblee; Sep 6, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think anything after market is hit or miss. Its possible you got a bad one.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
did you apply the minimum injector pulse width patch for the 2150s? if not that is likely your issue... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...nimum-ipw.html

What injectors are you using and what are your settings

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Sep 3, 2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
did you apply the minimum injector pulse width patch for the 2150s? if not that is likely your issue... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...nimum-ipw.html

After some research... You may be correct.... I will mess with it and let you know. Thank you!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Running both pumps full time?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

You're running a big *** injector at very low pulse widths. Please read this thread as well as mrfred's tuning notes on FIC2150's

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ion-table.html
Old Sep 7, 2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie

You were right. That definitely fixed that issue... Now it wont start and stay running when it is warm. Ughhh
Old Sep 8, 2015, 08:35 AM

If it won't start after the engine is warm I'd check that cranking enrichment isn't getting in the way. While some enrichment on cold start makes sense on e85, it is problematic when warm. Does it start better with throttle + crank when warm?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Soda
If it won't start after the engine is warm I'd check that cranking enrichment isn't getting in the way. While some enrichment on cold start makes sense on e85, it is problematic when warm. Does it start better with throttle + crank when warm?
Yeah the only way i can get it to start when warm is by holding down the gas pedal. But it wont stay on unless i keep giving it gas. The second i let off the pedal, it dies.... Thank you everyone for the responses!!! It is much appreciated. This car is making me want to burn it to the ground. I have emailed a few tuners with hopes they can get this going for me, but have yet to hear a response. I emailed Chet Rickerman, pure drive, and tscompusa. Basically whoever gets back to me first is going to get my business. I have run out of patience lol