ECU Flash

Pulled Rom- No start

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulled Rom- No start

Hey guys,

Long story short I bought a tactrix 1.3u to pull the Rom from my evo 9. I pulled the rom and was unable to open it. It said unknown rom image and gave me 3 options. Download but be unable to read or edit, abort, or use wizard to create a new definition. So I just saved it as read_image.srf. I have the xml files and tephra in the correct folder. The rom didn't even give me an ID it just came up as "read_image.srf." after pulling the rom the car won't start. I checked all of the fuses and everything. I found out the tactrix cable still had pin 9. Do you think I fried my etacs? Would that cause a no start condition? The symptoms I read were not a no start for a bad etacs. How would just downloading a rom cause a no start otherwise? Please help.

Last edited by Sheasta; Oct 19, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Does it crank and not start or no cranking?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, should have had that in there. It cranks and doesn't even try to start. It acts as if the immobilizer was put on or there's no gas.

The thing with the etacs fried theory is none of my lights are doing anything weird like symptoms I've read about. So no flickering, no blinking, no blinker always on, and no wipers always on etc. It just won't start.

I want to try to get my ecuflash to recognize the Rom so I can try to just reflash it and see if it works. I have no experience with ecuflash I was just trying to pull the rom to look through the mivec tables because I have a p0011 code I'm trying to diagnose.

Literally all I did was download the rom from the ecu and it gave me an error so I used ecu unlocked and it worked but couldn't read the rom so I saved it as it was even though I couldn't read it and figured I'd try to figure it out after. When I went back outside to go to the store, crank no start.

Last edited by Sheasta; Oct 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

I attached the ROM to this post if anyone can help me find the correct XML files for it.
Attached Files
File Type: rar
read_image.rar (353 Bytes, 0 views)
Old Oct 19, 2015, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
missing rom files

If it says it can't read your rom then you're missing the rom files in your rommetadata folder. You need to either try and reinstall the program again or try to copy those rommetadata files to the folder.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

I already downloaded the tephra files and put everything in the folder. I reinstalled the program 25 times. My Rom ID reads as 0000000 which is obviously wrong. Even if I can't read the rom why doesn't my car start? Any other solutions?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

rom

It looks like you're saving the rom as an srf or structured rom file. Try saving it as either a hex or bin file and try opening it with ecuflash.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

I tried as a bin and a hex file it also didn't work. I got them to open with the wizard with some random xml file and itit wasn't right becaus all the values are way off. Like 74.0 timing advanced at every rpm.. So now I don't know how to try and open it with a different xml. Nothing is working.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:32 PM

The Rom ID has been changed to 00000000 to hide what rom it is... Give me a few lol. Also is this an Evo9?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:42 PM

WAIT... The rom you posted up is completely wiped... all the data in the rom is 00. you are going to have to flash in a base stock rom into your ecu and start from there! if the ecu is not bricked.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

What does bricked mean and how come my Rom is wiped? I can still access my ecu, I got in last night to try to pull the rom again. Is that why the car won't start? Anyone have a link for an evo 9 stock rom?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 08:47 AM

Bricked means it as useful as a brick. Rom wiped I don't know can't help you on how that happened
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaganader2
Bricked means it as useful as a brick. Rom wiped I don't know can't help you on how that happened
So essentially if I flash a stock Rom on the ecu it will start? Are you sure it is wiped? That's what I saw too. I just thought I was reading it wrong. If I can access the ecu through ecuflash and evoscan while the ignition is on, that would mean it is not bricked, correct?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

rom

If you flash a stock rom on your car and you don't have the correct init or immobilizer code then your car won't start.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Not quite....there is still the matter of the immobilizer and immobilizer code. Your rom might be fubared but even if you flash a generic rom ( 88XXXXXX for the IX) it wont start because it wont have an immobilizer code to match..

You will have to either disable the immobilizer in the MUT tables or try to recover the immobilizer code from the current rom and input that code to the generic rom you can then flash to the ecu. then it will start but will need tuning etc for the car's mods etc

You might try one of the online tuners like aaron@english racing or TScomptuned to see if they can help you by doing that by remote dial in etc.

Quick Reply: Pulled Rom- No start