Notices
ECU Flash

Car really leans out around 2000-3000rpm

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not a tuning issue, I have the same type of problem, car ran great and just started breaking up and sputtering. Now it idles fine but when you try to drive it around 2-3,000 rpm the a/f gauge goes lean and it misfires like the plugs are fowled, sounds like a subi.

Did compression test, changed the plugs three times, new pump, changed cam position sensor.

Next will be fuel pressure regulator, crank sensor, fic 2150's, omni 4 bar, then the ecu. I'm determined to figure this out!

What I think is happening is for some reason the engine is running super rich, so rich that raw fuel is going past my wideband making it read lean due to not being able to get a reading off liquid. I can smell it and at the rate my gas gauge is dropping from trouble shooting, that's gotta be it.

Let ya know what I find...
Old Aug 10, 2016, 01:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Migsubishi
It's not a tuning issue, I have the same type of problem, car ran great and just started breaking up and sputtering. Now it idles fine but when you try to drive it around 2-3,000 rpm the a/f gauge goes lean and it misfires like the plugs are fowled, sounds like a subi.

Did compression test, changed the plugs three times, new pump, changed cam position sensor.

Next will be fuel pressure regulator, crank sensor, fic 2150's, omni 4 bar, then the ecu. I'm determined to figure this out!

What I think is happening is for some reason the engine is running super rich, so rich that raw fuel is going past my wideband making it read lean due to not being able to get a reading off liquid. I can smell it and at the rate my gas gauge is dropping from trouble shooting, that's gotta be it.

Let ya know what I find...
Maybe you should try troubleshooting the problem instead of just throwing money at it. Research or try and think of logical ways to eliminate something as a problem before just replacing stuff and hoping it will fix the problem. Or don't, its your time/money.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Maybe you should try troubleshooting the problem instead of just throwing money at it. Research or try and think of logical ways to eliminate something as a problem before just replacing stuff and hoping it will fix the problem. Or don't, its your time/money.
well i agree with u but when you have no CEL and nothing is pointing directly to the issue then there is only so much testing you can do to verify parts are functional.

i have a spare set of 560cc high z injectors i can test, i also have another map sensor i can swap out. i have a spare fpr i can test with but i dont remember where i stored that. and i have the replacement pump.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

What makes you think I haven't tried that, next time before you assume that everyone but you is a dumbazz, ask a few questions first. No cels, no signs, everything looks to be in working order, if you read what I wrote, I did trouble shoot including boost leak tests. If you have better ideas I'm all ears, and as far as research, how do you think I found this thread?

What money, I have 2-3 of every sensor, a friend with a set of 2150's, well I guess I did buy the plugs..

Op is looking for help, I believe I have the same issue. If you have some advice or ideas I welcome them, but if you have nothing worth value to offer, please save the post.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by spdracr83
well i agree with u but when you have no CEL and nothing is pointing directly to the issue then there is only so much testing you can do to verify parts are functional.

i have a spare set of 560cc high z injectors i can test, i also have another map sensor i can swap out. i have a spare fpr i can test with but i dont remember where i stored that. and i have the replacement pump.
thats true, but this isnt the space shuttle we are dealing with. There are only so many things that could be wrong, and you don't need a Phd to understand how the components involved work. Between the factory service manual and the wealth of information available on this site, there is no reason you should not be able to troubleshoot this problem without having to resort to random luck to solve it. Troubleshooting is a skill that requires that you assume nothing and never eliminate something as a problem unless you have directly tested that it isnt. Obviously you want to weight the different systems as being more or less likely to be causing your problem and kind of go down the list in order or likelihood. You are starting off with the assumption that it cannot be software related, which might turn out to be not the case, but you won't know unless you eliminate all possible mechanical issues, or learn to read and understand data logs yourself.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 01:45 PM

What makes you think I haven't tried that, next time before you assume that everyone but you is a dumbazz, ask a few questions first. No cels, no signs, everything looks to be in working order, if you read what I wrote, I did trouble shoot including boost leak tests. If you have better ideas I'm all ears, and as far as research, how do you think I found this thread?

What money, I have 2-3 of every sensor, a friend with a set of 2150's, well I guess I did buy the plugs..

Op is looking for help, I believe I have the same issue. If you have some advice or ideas I welcome them, but if you have nothing worth value to offer, please save the post.
So your telling me your fuel pump and cam sensor both tested bad before you replaced them? Sounds like your car has some serious gremlins if thats the case. What do your fuel trims look like? What are your injector pulse widths doing when it goes lean? Is it going lean during the transition from closed to open loop?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like some more assumptions. However your now asking questions, that I can work with. Being that is seemed to be a fuel issue with the gauge running lean the first thought since the car runs on e85 was that it might have a pump going. I being lazy just activated the second pump out of my double pumper and shut the primary off and the car ran great again. About a day later, same problem returned so I put in my spare bnib 450 I had in my tool box. The problem is still there. Then came the plug changes, cam sensor etc.

I'm going to change out the fuel pressure regulator when I get home to see if that helps. I have a tuner coming by at 8 tonight to check the fuel trims, pulses and sensor voltage as well as log the problem.

The car runs in closed loop all the time, just the way the tuner set it up.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 02:13 PM

Sounds like some more assumptions. However your now asking questions, that I can work with. Being that is seemed to be a fuel issue with the gauge running lean the first thought since the car runs on e85 was that it might have a pump going. I being lazy just activated the second pump out of my double pumper and shut the primary off and the car ran great again. About a day later, same problem returned so I put in my spare bnib 450 I had in my tool box. The problem is still there. Then came the plug changes, cam sensor etc.

I'm going to change out the fuel pressure regulator when I get home to see if that helps. I have a tuner coming by at 8 tonight to check the fuel trims, pulses and sensor voltage as well as log the problem.

The car runs in closed loop all the time, just the way the tuner set it up.
How do you have the fuel pump wired? This could be a problem of fuel pressure regulator over run causing the pump to overheat and fail. A pump running at full voltage at low injector duty cycle could be pumping more fuel then the regulator can send back to the tank causing the pump to overwork and heat up. The solution to that kind of problem would be to utilize the factory low voltage circuit while augmenting the high voltage circuit with a hardwire triggered from a hobb switch. I assume you mean its always in open loop because our ECU is not capable of full time closed loop. If you don't have one of your own, buy a Tactrix cable for your evo. It will be one of the best bang for your buck investments as far as maintaining/modding your evo goes.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

This car has had the same pump set up and wiring on it for the past 3yrs. I would have to say that's the most reliable part of the car. It never burnt up a pump, and the one I took out still works good. Also my secondary pump I switched to doesn't run off the same circuitry as the primary, their completely independent of one another.

I could have sworn he said closed loop, I'll check with him again and make sure.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 03:24 PM

This car has had the same pump set up and wiring on it for the past 3yrs. I would have to say that's the most reliable part of the car. It never burnt up a pump, and the one I took out still works good. Also my secondary pump I switched to doesn't run off the same circuitry as the primary, their completely independent of one another.

I could have sworn he said closed loop, I'll check with him again and make sure.
you could apply that logic to every part of the car...Everything works fine until it doesn't. Also i can't really follow what your saying, you claimed everything works fine, but your having problems, then you switched to another pump and that fixed it, but then it didn't. Have you actually tested your circuits? You say the first pump still works good but how do you know that? If it still works fine why did switching to the secondary pump make a difference.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 03:53 PM
kaj

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
You guys get your feelings hurt way too easy.
If you're gonna act like little kids and/or not take useful advice, fix your own ****ing cars.
Don't come here saying you don't know what's wrong, then shoot down every idea that's offered to you, and in a rude way, at that. We're all here trying to help you. For FREE.
Jesus Christ, kids these days.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'm really not sure who that post is for hopefully not me, if it is than your reading comprehension skills need work.

First off, I never asked anyone for help with anything, I came on here and simply stated to the op that I have the same issue and what I have done and plan on doing to find it. This other guy comes in and offers no advice, no real tips and nothing to help the situation besides ridiculing my methods and with no real knowledge of my situation or what I have done begins telling me what I already know.

I wouldn't have to spell this out to you if you had read then understood what you read. So the only person being childish is you and it shows in your lack of reading comprehension.

So yes, I am fixing my own ****ing car, you need to go back to what school let you graduate and let them know they have failed you.

Instead of crying over what you see on the board, find a corner to cry in and stop making unuseful posts and save the space for someone with something useful to contribute.

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

you could apply that logic to every part of the car...Everything works fine until it doesn't. Also i can't really follow what your saying, you claimed everything works fine, but your having problems, then you switched to another pump and that fixed it, but then it didn't. Have you actually tested your circuits? You say the first pump still works good but how do you know that? If it still works fine why did switching to the secondary pump make a difference.
Hey man, not to be rude and if you feel I have then I apologize, but constantly ridiculing what I have done and offering no real help I can use isn't helping.

Thanks for trying, but please focus on the op as he is the one asking for help not I.

If I need help I will make my own thread. Thanks for your understanding.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:17 PM

Hey man, not to be rude and if you feel I have then I apologize, but constantly ridiculing what I have done and offering no real help I can use isn't helping.

Thanks for trying, but please focus on the op as he is the one asking for help not I.

If I need help I will make my own thread. Thanks for your understanding.
really the problem here is your ego, from the first response i made to your post i was trying to help you. I'll acknowledge that you never actually asked for help, but reading what your problem was and what you where doing to try and fix it just sent up all kinds of red flags to me. I get that you where trying to help OP somehow by posting here, but all you really did was pass him false information, claiming it isnt his tune when you couldn't possibly know that as fact, and communicate your own unresolved problems. Learn to be humble, obviously if you knew the answer you would have already fixed it. Don't take other peoples advice/opinions as a personal attack on your intelligence. I was not trying to ridicule you, i was trying to get you to critically think about your methodology in dealing with this problem and maybe approach it a little more logically. Good luck on fixing your problem, and sorry OP for this getting so
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:22 PM
kaj

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
really the problem here is your ego.
/thread

But after seeing the replies, I'd say we are wasting our time here.

Quick Reply: Car really leans out around 2000-3000rpm