Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Buschur's dyno testing......never ends.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur's dyno testing......never ends.

Back on the dyno today with my RS. The quest to improve what we do and how we do it never ends.

Most of you know at the end of this year my RS ran a 9.04 at 159.64 mph. The car at one point was making power in the 680 whp range on our dyno. The car was getting tired I suppose and we changed the header configuration, turbine housing, 02 housing and a few other things. As the dyno testing kept going on and on and on I was losing power. I finally decided to just take the car to the track and forget about what the dyno was telling me. By the time I had given up on the dyno I was in the 630 whp range. That's quite a ways from the 680 whp I was at. The dyno I guess lied to me because it ripped off the multiple 9.0 passes

After the racing season was over we pulled the head off and I pulled the pistons/rods out of the engine in the car. A quick inspection showed everything looked good but the rings were showing some signs of not sealing, probably from the cam sensor failure that hurt the head in August at the shootout. Anyway, I touch honed the cylinders and put a fresh set of rings and bearings in the engine.

While the timing belt was off the car I decided to have the guys finally install the 12 tooth crank trigger that I had been looking at on my desk for months. This new 12 tooth wheel takes the place of the stock crank disc. There is modification needed to the cam sensor trigger. Then of course there is quite a bit of set up required in the AEM EMS. The purpose of this new crank disc it so the AEM has a better signal from the crank sensor. It will allow the AEM EMS to sync instantly and the car starts faster. It does work, 100% as advertised. There seems to be some other benefits to it as well that I am seeing in the logging on the AEM. I'm not going into all that. The part is available direct from triggerdisc and we have been autorized to sell them as well. I'd suggest if you are going to do this to do it when you have the timing belt off for something else.

Next up I wanted to get some better temperature readings for the cam sensor shield. I did a pull, checked my log and then hit the header, shield and cam sensor with the laser heat gun. The header tube was 370 degrees at the point closest to the carbon fiber cam shield. The cam sensor shield at it's closest point to the same header tube was 165 degrees. The cam sensor itself, only 126 degrees.

Let's step back for a minute to when I was dyno'ing the car and swapping parts. I went from the header I had built for the car to the one Ron Shearer and I worked on together for the forward facing kit. When we made the header swap I also changed turbine housings. There was a loss of low and mid range when the headers/turbine housings were changed. I chased this for quite some time and that is what I was chasing when the power started falling off that I was talking about earlier. Tom Powell and I were looking over some of the parts I used on my car when we were deciding what to run on his car. Tom noticed that the turbine housing I was using on the header I built was completely different than the housing that was on the car after the header change. Some measuring showed a large difference in the actual physical size of my old turbine housing vs. the new PTE .82 4 bolt housing I was using after the header swap. After making some phone calls I found out that the PTE housing and the standard 4 bolt housing we generally use from Garrett (T31 housings) are old school, basically. The housing I had been using (on the header I had built) was the new Garrett GT turbine housing. It got my brain churning and since I just couldn't get the low/mid range back I had lost I figured it had to be in the turbine housing. Problem was there just wasn't enough room with the forward facing turbo to fit the Garrett GT turbine housing. You know what they say, "You have to pay to play." I like to play so I bought 5 of the Garrett GT housings and had them machined to work/fit with our forward facing kit. That brings me to the next part of the testing.

I made the base pulls with the PTE .82 turbine housing on the car. Which BTW, performed better than the standard Garrett .82 turbine housing by a slight margin across the board. After I had a good baseline this morning I swapped the PTE housing over to the GT .82 turbine housing we had machined to fit. I found my losses or I should say most of them that I had encountered when I swapped headers. The gains were most notable from 4300 to 5800 where they hovered in the 20+ HP/FT LBS. The largest gains were close to 30 hp/ft lbs. Peak numbers didn't change much, 8 ft lbs and 6 whp. A heck of a nice gain for just swapping the style of turbine housings and keeping the same A/R's.

The next test was to run our standard Race FMIC against our new BFIC. Before I even started I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting much as the air intake temps were in the low 50's to begin with. I was correct the gains were not noticable. I keep extremely good notes of my own car and the changes I make. I note the AIT's, AFR's, the RPM the car reaches 20 psi, rpm it reaches peak boost and the boost at 8,000 rpm. The increase in temperature across both the race and the BFIC was only 6 degrees F on a 3rd gear pull at 41 psi of boost. The difference to reaching 20 psi was only 55 rpm. Peak boost was the same and boost at 8,000 rpm only varied by .13 psi. I believe in order to actually see the difference between the two intercoolers we would need to test in some hot weather and in some more extreme conditions.

Last but not least. DEI just released a new turbo blanket. I've seen a lot of these through the years and they were all junk to be honest. Hard to install, looked like crap, couldn't really re-use them after removing them once etc. This new product from DEI is just flat out SWEET! It is perfectly formed and sewn to fit the T3 housings. The material is actually made of Lava rock and there is an inner padding/insulation that is made of silica and has a temperature rating of 2,000 degrees F. The turbo blanket has three heavy duty metal bosses embedded in the material so you can safety wire the blanket to the turbo. The install, seriously took me 3 minutes, including twisting the SS wire with the safety wire pliers. I did the dyno pull, Trent stood in front of the car with the laser heat gun. Immediately following the pull he took a temperature reading of the turbine housing, 693 degrees F. The turbine housing, obviously at that temperature was so hot it instantly burns you. I worked on the car that hot. Right after it was installed I ran the car again, identical dyno run. Trent took another temperature reading and at the end of the pull the outside of the blanket was only 260 degrees. That's a drop of 433 degrees. After a few minutes of Trent and I talking about the results he happened to hit it again, the temp had already dropped to 130 degrees. I told him, "If that's right I should be able to touch it and not get burnt." I took the plunge, it was correct. I could lay my hand on the blanket no problem.

This is huge for heat control under the hood. That is a lot of heat gone from the engine bay. DEI is releasing a complete kit that will include the turbine housing blanket, a 2"x15' long roll of titanium wrap (made of the same lava material), ss wire ties for the wrap and safety wire for the blanket. This kit and the turbo blanket by itself will be available next month. Anyone interested we are going to offer both the blanket and the kit at 20% off for pre-orders. The blanket alone is $230 retail, it will be $184 for this introduction. The entire kit is $251 retail and will be $200.

Here's a picture of the turbo blanket on my RS:

Last but not least is the final dyno sheet from all the work today. Considering the car ran 9.0 with the power levels in the 640 range, this new power and improvement on the power curve should put the car well into the 8's. It's going to be a hell of an exciting year next season!! Final numbers, 677 whp/536 ft lbs.

Here is the dyno sheet:

Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, impressive.

what are the major differences between the 2 housings you tested? the new and the old
Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David, you have a PM with my order. I've seen this blanket in person and it fits like a glove. Don't sell my housing either! As usual, if it wasn't for your testing, we'd all still be wondering whether something works or not. Thanks for your time and testing.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

dave .... stop the testing already all the money i keep making you make me keep wanting to spend it ...lol keep up the good work..
Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
Account Disabled

09 is gonna be a sick year....BR FTW
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

this thread is the reason why I <3 BR soo much! IT just never ends, constant development.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:23 PM
Account Disabled

^ then switch that AMS IC out for the BR race core
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The main difference is in the two housings is the actual area of the snail portion of the housing.

9sec9, I've always got parts for you buddy Glad I can be of assistance. You are still kicking my butt by about 45 whp! I compared our dyno sheets today, again
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Good stuff David,

That is the finest looking turbo blanket!!! Good find and great results out of it , over 400 deg. Wow.

That has to help with IAT's
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice!

Do they make a turbo blanket for a T4 TS housing?

looking forward to 09

Thanks

Evan Smith
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shacochis06
^ then switch that AMS IC out for the BR race core
I will after I buy drop ins and my BF272s that I already have get installed. Work is stupid slow right now in the auto business. I was hoping to already have the money by now. Atleast i havent been layed off. Pretty much only going to get stuff from Buschur anymore. The only place that Ive delt with that gives you what you expect for a good price and sound advice with expeirence.

Last edited by whitey4d; Dec 10, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Back on topic now. David is this still the FS635 that you were using during the turbine housing tests?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, they make T4 blankets. These things are quality plus. Not something that just wraps around the housing and is just 'OK'. I spent quite a bit of time at this booth looking at these. REALLY nice product. Also, David, I have a sneaking hunch that you can find that 45 whp difference. I think I know, but I've got to keep an Ace in the hole. LOL. Since I know what's in developement AND what next years plans are, I would say that REAL FUN is just around the corner. STAY TUNED!!!!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I can't wait till spring can we just rent Norwalk already haha.

Quick Reply: Buschur's dyno testing......never ends.