Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Compustar Problem and a Fix

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compustar Problem and a Fix

I searched, but found nothing similar.

About a few weeks ago I purchased a Compustar 2W900FMR alarm/remote starter and had it installed at Autotronics (Pontiac, MI). They did a pretty clean install. I played around with it all night and was starting to measure distances on how far I can start the car with the remote. Unfortunately the next day the 2-way remote was not responding. At first I thought it was the distance, but walked right up to the car and it wasn't communicating with it. I knocked on the paging system and it responded to the 2-way, but I couldn't get the 2-way to talk to the car. In addition to the poor communication, the 2-way remote would reset itself every once in a while. The 1-way remote had no problems. I figured it was a bad 2-way remote. I called Autotronics and they were more than happy to order me a new one to replace it with.

After about a week on waiting for a replacement remote from Autotronics I had them swap out the 2-way remote last night. Not even 2 minutes after getting into my car, the remote reset itself. Tony at the front desk called Compustar service and learned that he would have to modify the remote to fix the "problem". The Compustar rep told him to solder a few pins together and everything should be ok. So far it's been working pretty good.

Needless to say, I'm surprised why there wasn't any other post about this. I'll keep monitoring the status and update you guys with any changes.

Hope this helps others.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... I thought it was just the battery. My remote sometimes still does it.. but not a big deal. Hey, D. if you are good with that stuff let me know if you can check mine too.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Great info. I plan on getting a Compustar soon.

Last edited by 8thWonder; Mar 7, 2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't had that problem yet and i've had mine for over a year. It might just be a little defect in the newer ones? The only time my remote restarts itself is when the battery is low.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by B-SR
I haven't had that problem yet and i've had mine for over a year. It might just be a little defect in the newer ones? The only time my remote restarts itself is when the battery is low.
Do you have the same model that I have? It's supposidly only on the model that I have and on the turbo (gray remote) version.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb

Yeah sorry, my bad. I have that same remote but mine says Compustar 2W8000FMR (3000) at the bottom. I do not have a turbo but the option is there. Mine is an Alarm/Starter.. so if yours is just an alarm then that would explain the difference.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by B-SR
Yeah sorry, my bad. I have that same remote but mine says Compustar 2W8000FMR (3000) at the bottom. I do not have a turbo but the option is there. Mine is an Alarm/Starter.. so if yours is just an alarm then that would explain the difference.
Originally Posted by MIevo8MR
About a few weeks ago I purchased a Compustar 2W900FMR alarm/remote starter and had it installed at Autotronics (Pontiac, MI).
I have the alarm/starter. I think the problem is just on the gray (turbo) remote and the 2W900FMR model.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the 2WSSR Alarm/Remote starter. I have problems with the remote not communicating with the car all the time. I think I am going to call up compustar and see if they have a fix fix for my remote. Anyone else have any problems with the 2WSSR?
Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

hey guys I'm looking at getting a compustar alarm for my evo ix since they are based here in seattle. but I guess I'm scared to let them just fumble with the wiring cause theres no 'cheat sheet' wiring diagrams for the 06's yet. are they virtually the same as the evo 8's?
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MIevo8MR

[size=1]

Mine used to look that good, till I dropped it on the ground about 100 times, and the screen cracked and spewed black stuff all over inside. But its a trooper, it still works!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolvinEvo
hey guys I'm looking at getting a compustar alarm for my evo ix since they are based here in seattle. but I guess I'm scared to let them just fumble with the wiring cause theres no 'cheat sheet' wiring diagrams for the 06's yet. are they virtually the same as the evo 8's?
Not sure. You might want to look around a little more. If there's anything I hate, it's wiring.

Red wire? no...the blue wire? wait I think it might be the gray wire with the blue stripe. AHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

I have the 2wssr and it seems to be very battery dependant for distance. I have had it for 2 years now and it is on the 2nd evo now. I would be very interested in a fix for distance issues. Good info guys
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

How much did you guys pay for the alarm and install? I'm interested in getting something for my car and the compustar looks like it's the best.

Fox
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

I got mine for around 600 and a friend who is an installer did it for me. install time is long and will probobly add 100 - 200. Mine is the 2wssr alarm/starter/turbo timer.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ohio-evo
I got mine for around 600 and a friend who is an installer did it for me. install time is long and will probobly add 100 - 200. Mine is the 2wssr alarm/starter/turbo timer.
Guess I'll be waiting on that promotion... haha

Fox

Quick Reply: Compustar Problem and a Fix