Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Comments on this sound system being installed Friday...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments on this sound system being installed Friday...

Alpine CDA9885 HU
JL 10w3v3-4 sub
Alpine MRP-M250 amp
Alpine MRP-F450 amp
JL VR A-pillar tweeters and kicker panel 5.25" (vr525-csi I think)
JL TR 16x9 rears (tr-690txi)

I'm putting it in my 04 Evo.

I listened to a few different speakers and liked the JL VRs the best - very good, wide sound with accurate highs - not tinny at all. I had originally settled on a 10w6v2 sub but they had to make a custom box for it so that drove the price up a hundred just for the stupid box, not including how the w6 was more money. I listened back and forth between the w3 and w6 - the w6 definitely had more punch but the w3 was still dang nice.

This is the first system I've ever gotten so be nice. I'm getting it installed at Sound Advice, which is a bit overpriced (IMHO) but I like the idea of dealing with a bigger shop.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I love JL woofers and amps. After listening to Focal K2's and up, I use only Focals for interior speakers. Also no too sure about the 5.25" kickers up front. Why not 6.5"s? You're giving up lots of midbass and will probably get a lot more sound from the rear. Is the shop cutting your rear deck for the 6x9s or are they fabbing up some kind of brackets? Either way you go, your setup should be miles ahead of the factory stuff.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
I love JL woofers and amps. After listening to Focal K2's and up, I use only Focals for interior speakers. Also no too sure about the 5.25" kickers up front. Why not 6.5"s? You're giving up lots of midbass and will probably get a lot more sound from the rear. Is the shop cutting your rear deck for the 6x9s or are they fabbing up some kind of brackets? Either way you go, your setup should be miles ahead of the factory stuff.
I listened to the Focals - they sounded nice (forget which series it was) but the JL VRs just sounded amazingly full and accurate.

They couldn't get 6.5" JLs for some reason - so they're doing a plate. I was a little leery about that, but I admittedly don't know enough about it to say otherwise.

What's normally in the rear deck size-wise?

Thanks for your help
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

will sound very very nice!!!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

don't let them put in 5.25 driver... you want the full 6.5 and there is no reason not to have it.

I think all the new alpine stuff sucks... it's an old school name who have really fallen off in quality recently. I personally like the eclipse HUs better and I've yet to find anybody in a side by side test who could argue the alpine was better except for "looks" possibly.

my setup is an eclipse 8053 -> 2 zapco amps -> 12w6v2 and focal polyglass 6.5 up front.

I don't believe in using rear speakers in a car. Why not spent that extra money on a better 2 channel amp and better components.

you're listening to 2 channel source music.. so why 4 speakers?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Schuyler
I listened to the Focals - they sounded nice (forget which series it was) but the JL VRs just sounded amazingly full and accurate.

They couldn't get 6.5" JLs for some reason - so they're doing a plate. I was a little leery about that, but I admittedly don't know enough about it to say otherwise.

What's normally in the rear deck size-wise?

Thanks for your help
There is a pretty big difference in midbass performance between 6.5" speakers and 5.25" speakers. I wouuld not buy 5.25" speakers for your car. And the factory front and rear speakers are oversized 6.5" speakers aka 6.75" speakers. It sounds to me like this place that your having install the equipment is a joke. If they can't find you the propper size speakers for your car, I wouldn't even let them touch it.

Also, you might wanna double check pricing on the product to make sure they aren't taking you to bank. Check Tweeter.com for industry pricing on JL and Focal Equipment. If anyone is charging you more than what's listed on their site, you are getting robbed.
Goodluck bro.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

There is a pretty big difference in midbass performance between 6.5" speakers and 5.25" speakers. I wouuld not buy 5.25" speakers for your car. And the factory front and rear speakers are oversized 6.5" speakers aka 6.75" speakers. It sounds to me like this place that your having install the equipment is a joke. If they can't find you the propper size speakers for your car, I wouldn't even let them touch it.

Also, you might wanna double check pricing on the product to make sure they aren't taking you to bank. Check Tweeter.com for industry pricing on JL and Focal Equipment. If anyone is charging you more than what's listed on their site, you are getting robbed.
Goodluck bro.
This is Sound Advice - aka tweeter.com

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll have them fix the speaker sizing for sure.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Ok - called and changed to the XR650csi. Next step up but well worth it from what you guys are saying.

Assume I want to have something in the rear deck - what size fits there?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Schuyler
Ok - called and changed to the XR650csi. Next step up but well worth it from what you guys are saying.

Assume I want to have something in the rear deck - what size fits there?
Already told you above that they are 6.5 " speakers. I used .5" mdf rings up front for the Focal K2's and .25" mdf bracket rings (matched to factory speaker mounting pattern) for 6.5" Polyglass coaxial rears. So you may want to go with some XR650 coaxial rears. You will be much happier with the sound from the correct speakers.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Already told you above that they are 6.5 " speakers. I used .5" mdf rings up front for the Focal K2's and .25" mdf bracket rings (matched to factory speaker mounting pattern) for 6.5" Polyglass coaxial rears. So you may want to go with some XR650 coaxial rears. You will be much happier with the sound from the correct speakers.
My bad - misunderstood. So it's 6.5" for both the kicker panel as well as the rears if I'm reading you correctly?

Good info.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey man, I think you'll have a nice little system when it's all installed. Kudos to you for actually going to the store and listening to the speakers and choosing the ones you like based on how they sound. A couple things that will hopefully help you:

1) NoTec's got it right. 6.5" for front doors and rear deck. The XR650cxi for the rear deck would be perfect match to the XR650csi you're putting up front. Another suggestion, if you like the sound of the VR series, you could go with VR650csi up front and VR650cxi in the rear. Would be less expensive than the XR series (if you need to save some cash).

2) Are they building a box for the 10W3? Or are you buying a pre-fab box? If you can, try to have them make a box for you (if you need the money, go with the VR series speakers and put the money towards a good sub box). Most pre-fab boxes aren't made all that well.

3) The MRPF450 amp is a perfect match power-wise for the front and rear speakers.

4) The MRPM250 is a little light on power for the 10W3, but it should be OK. Just make sure you adjust the gain properly so you don't blow the sub. If you find that you want the sound louder, DO NOT turn the gain up higher...that just introduces distortion and you could blow the sub pretty easily. You'd might be better off going with the MRPM450 amp...more clean power.

5) Make sure you get good power, speaker wire and RCA cables. Makes a HUGE difference.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it sounds when it's all in there.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Adam!

1) They didn't carry the VR650s for some reason. It wasn't even in their system. I'll ask if they can get it tomorrow when the guy I worked with is back.

2) They were but I talked him out of it. I'll undo that. $150 for a box seemed excessive, but I guess you get what you pay for.

3) Great

4) I may have the mono and 4-channel ones mixed up. It may be the MRPM450 and MRPF250 - I'll check when I get home tonight.

5) They're doing the install - I want to say it was JL wire and a 1-2 power distribution block. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Thanks all again - very good info.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Schuyler, I have a set of the XR's in my Evo right now. They sound great to me. I just happened to have them left over from an old install. I think you will enjoy everything you picked out.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Ok - just spoke with the sales droid - good guy. He's checking on availability of the XR650s and seeing if they can get the vr650s in or how long it might take. Told him I wanted the custom enclosure.

And thanks LayinLo.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Update - got the component swap. Upgraded the amp for the speakers to drive the XRs (was a recommendation before anyway), went with the XR650s for the front, VR650s for the rear, and a custom sub enclosure. It came out to be about $400 more but I'd rather do it right. Thanks again everyone - install now scheduled for next Wednesday.

Alpine CDA9885 HU
JL 10w3v3-4 sub in a custom enclosure
Alpine MRP-M450 amp (sub)
Alpine MRP-F450 amp (front and rear)
JL XR650csi (front)
JL VR650cxi (rear)

They're using JL audio power / ground kits and JL audio RCAs.

Last edited by Schuyler; Jun 6, 2007 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Comments on this sound system being installed Friday...