Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear wiper acting up, LR turn signal acting up..... pulled my connector and I found this....

Name:  PICS1446.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  PICS1445.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.1 KB

I like wiring and electrical so this will be a piece of cake aside from the limited room I have to work in.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Sucks man dont it. I took that whole White box out of the car and gave me plenty more room
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

What a PITA!!!

I did what you said and removed the entire white holder thinger mabobber that held the connectors in place and just ran extra wiring to make the connections. Got a crap load more room.

While I like tucking bays and stuff and wiring in new toys, I really hate doing electrical "repairs" such as this.

My LR turn signal would work sometimes, sometimes it wouldn't. One of my buddies (Mitchsubishi on these boards) was with me and witnessed it. It worked one minute, next it didn't. We turned my car off and turned it back on, it worked. I ran a new tail lamp harness, new bulbs, no dice.

LR door was not unlocking, locking with the rest. Pulled the door panel, rods in tact, rod holders in tact, power to the switch.....

Rear wiper was on the fritz too. I would turn it on and it would stop wherever it wanted to, except the down position. I looked like a fool driving down the street with my rear wiper standing straight up on my rear window.

I have a feeling all my electrical woes will go away after this. I hope.

Last edited by revvin9k; Sep 10, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

They will har solder everything seal the grommet and kiss your woes goodbye. My lights and wipers would stay on when the car was off I had to disconnect the battery.

I fixed it all and 40k later still no more issues
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly, the Evo is a bad *** ride, once you work out ALL the gremlins.

It's gonna take a lot of time and a lot of money to get the Evo right. As many times as I tried to sell her, i'm gonna keep her and finish one project that i've started.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Hearing it. Good luck man its not too hard just tedious
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Wow.... now my rear wiper doesn't even work. My test light is at work and the fuse is good.

LR door lock is still inoperable.

LR turn signal still not working.

Anyone know the color of the wires for the rear wiper and LR turn signal, possibly the door as well?

EDIT: I went to my work for a wiring schematic, than went to Mitsu. To make a long story short, the reason most of my LH stuff wasn't working or working intermittently, was because there is a connector to the front of the fuse box w/ a blue/white wire that controls the wiper, the LR lock, and the LR turn signal. It was loose before, causing the intermittent problems, after the connector fiasco, it must have come completely loose. Making me think I did some bad wiring work.

Thanks for the informative sticky. Saved me a lot of BS.

Last edited by revvin9k; Sep 10, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet glad your fixed
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My power steering just shut off today for no reason. The car was still on though. I immiedietly turned the car off and on everything was normal. Is any of the power steering power running through these harnesses?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:20 PM

yah i got some gremlins too. just started doin this a few weeks ago, car had a boat load of water in the back rear driver floorboard, and now when push down on the gas the dash lights flicker but only when the gas pedal is depressed. hope this sticky helps me.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

I had this happen to mine too. Ended up cutting all the plugs and hardwiring them all together during a torrential downpour. Let me tell you how much fun it was driving home in a bad rain storm and having my wipers and lights stop working.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:20 PM

My 03 is having all of these issues, I would just randomly go out to my garage to see the lights/dash on, was going to call the police that someone was trying to steal my car The 2nd time it happened I noticed it was only during heavy rain or driving through a lot of puddles. Gonna try to take a look at this tonight thank you!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

My evo 8 had the Check oil light flash intermittently while at idle.
The car is idling fine and the oil level is fine as well. It started doing this because of all the snow in the NW burbs in IL.

Would this issue help alleviate this oil light issues as well. Just wondering. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

The oil light thing may actually just be a bad sensor its happened to many IX guys
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolv
My 03 is having all of these issues, I would just randomly go out to my garage to see the lights/dash on, was going to call the police that someone was trying to steal my car The 2nd time it happened I noticed it was only during heavy rain or driving through a lot of puddles. Gonna try to take a look at this tonight thank you!
This will be your fix for sure man

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix