Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

CarPuter Install

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarPuter Install - UPDATE it's working (page 4)

2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII MR
CarPuter Install

I decided I would document how I am doing my CarPuter install in my Evo; actually I didn’t decide this, but a non car friend thought the idea was so cool, and that my initial work was so good that I should document it. These things aren’t plug_and_play, and turn a lot of people off because of the configuration required. But the flexibility you get is phenomenal, and the options of what your CarPuter can do are only limited by your imagination. Because of this I think more people would be interested if they can see what can be done. Here were the standards I set before starting this project:

1. Must appear factory: No wires or sensors visible, screen must look factory designed and installed, must have a plug and play wiring harness, and all items must be out of sight except the touch screen.
2. Stability: Must be as close to a regular home computer as possible. This is highly debatable as to how stable Windows can be to begin with, but my definition of stability is that I shouldn’t have to reboot this thing at all. But I can live with once a week reboots. Reboots must be accomplished via the touch screen interface and through the front end so it (again) appears like a Mitsubishi factory item.
3. Features: Must have all the features I want, outlined below:
a. MP3: Must have my MP3 Collection.
b. Video’s: Must be able to play (and store) video’s.
c. IPOD: Must have full IPOD integration and be able to control the IPOD through the touch screen interface.
d. Bluetooth: Must have full Bluetooth functionality so I can have full hands free operation of my phone along with auto-mute of the music to take a c.
e. GPS: Must have full GPS capability, auto routing, voice prompts and muting of the music for the voice prompts.
f. Internet: I like to check things on the internet a LOT, and again, whipping out my phone to browse to some crappy small screen webpage can’t happen. I need full internet functionality through the touch screen interface.
g. Camera: I don’t have a problem backing my car up, but having a forward facing camera would be cool so I don’t hit a curb when pulling into a parking spot and dinging my front lip. Also would be cool to record driving sometimes.
4. Additional Features: Some more things that will be nice to have, that I use infrequently and would just be cool:
a. Radio: I don’t listen to the radio that often, and when I do it’s usually news
b. XM: I don’t have an XM subscription, but it would be nice to have the ‘option’
c. USB Storage: Would be cool to be able to access, store, and play music/videos/etc from USB devices directly from the interface.
d. Data logging: I really want to run EvoScan and be able to data log directly from the interface.
e. Gauge View: Would be nice to have a “dashboard” so I can view all kinds of engine parameters from this touch screen interface.
f. YouTube: Common, it would be friggin cool to be able to stream YouTube into the car. And since I want to be able to record from an onboard camera being able to instantly upload to YouTube would be interesting as well.
g. Internet Radio: Self explanatory
h. Netflix: I’m a Netflix head, so having the ability to stream into my car would be an interesting option.
Now, based on my lengthy requirements list above you can see that an aftermarket double din radio/dvd player would never get me where I wanted. None of them appear factory, and though some are close, none are perfect factory look, and that is #1 on my list. They mostly all have excellent stability however, and their feature list is generally pretty good, but won’t give me everything that I want.

So after determining my requirements I started researching. I researched for months and months (I was even researching this months before I bought the Evo, as I was planning on installing this in my previous car). Downloaded front-end software to my computer and tested them. Went to electronics stores and tested hardware. Went to car audio stores and tested touch screens. And after about 3mo of research and testing I came up with a game plan for the main components of my CarPuter:

1. Double Din Kit would be the JDM Double Din trim bezel. Nothing else comes close to the quality and look of this trim bezel.
2. Computer would be the Acer Aspire Revo. Small size, low power requirements, high media playability due to Nvidia graphics, and silent running.
3. Front End would be the Centrafuse application. Not as flexible as RoadRunner (RideRunner), but much more stable.
4. Touch Screen would be the Lilliput 8” Widescreen model so it completely fills the JDM Double Din bezel and you see nothing but screen.
5. Power would be supplied by a Carnetix Smart DC/DC inverter that powered on the screen and computer based on the ignition.
6. Integration would be on a custom soldered, wrapped, and routed wiring harness that I will build and will be completely plug and play. No splicing into the car wiring.

That was the main components; there are a lot (a LOT) of smaller items as well, plus all the configuration work, soldering, bracket manufacturing, etc. Plus I don’t know if I will get the volume that I want from the Acer Revo’s on-board audio, or will I need to add a 4 channel amp into the loop.

Anyhow I was at the point where I had enough information where I could start ordering everything I wanted…and the parts started coming in…

[save spot for pic]

So I have been actually working on this for five days now, and plan to do this install in stages so that I can move slow enough to get everything perfect, but quick enough to reap the benefits and enjoy the work and investment. Phases:
1. Relocate HVAC, remove un-necessary components from dash. I will be removing the stock radio and MR gauge cluster. Everything should be removed so that I could switch back to stock if I wanted.
2. Configure Acer Aspire Revo, and the front end software
3. Install computer, screen, and power supply in the car
4. Add on peripheral components, (GPS antenna, Camera, radio tuner, internet connection, etc)
5. Clean up physical install
6. Clean up the software after everything is running the way I want (removing BIOS screen, Windows screens, etc)
7. Wrapup report, completion of project
Since I am at work now there aren’t any pics here, but hold tight, you’ll see some once I get home. I have almost everything I need already, and the touch screen and power inverter are scheduled for UPS delivery on Friday, so I may be able to get phase three done this weekend. I already did phase one last weekend, and am half way through phase two. So here is my schedule so far:

Phase 1. April 2-4
Phase 2. April 5-9
Phase 3. April 9-11
Phase 4. April 12-18 (I will be traveling this week for work so will have less time to work on this)
Phase 5. April 19-25 (I will be traveling this week for work too so will have less time to work on this)
Phase 6. April 26-30
Phase 7. May 1-2

Last edited by dyezak; May 2, 2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: formatting
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Hold - for phase 1

Hold - for phase 1
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Hold - for phase 2

Hold - for phase 2
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Hold - for phase 3

Hold - for phase 3
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Hold - for phase 4

Hold - for phase 4
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Hold - for phase 5

Hold - for phase 5
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Hold - for phase 6

Hold - for phase 6
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Hold - for phase 7

Hold - for phase 7
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely went wrong with an acer. You shoulda bought all the parts yourself and made a custom computer that would fit your needs even better and you would only end up spending 400. Your going to need an amp to power your speakers there is no option there. But good luck lol
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with an Acer, it should meet all of the requirements that are being asked. For the speakers you really don't need an amp, if your car has the SSL package, you already have one.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed
Definitely went wrong with an acer. You shoulda bought all the parts yourself and made a custom computer that would fit your needs even better and you would only end up spending 400. Your going to need an amp to power your speakers there is no option there. But good luck lol
I couldn't come close to the Acer building my own. It's a little short on CPU power but that's it. I mean I'm used to my desktop Core i7 920, dual SSD's, 12gb ram, ATI 9x graphics that I built in November. And for the tasks that I'm asking the Acer to perform I'm not seeing any lag or latency. The only thing is I may drop the standard HD for an SSD for faster hibernate/unhibernate times.

$199 for this setup is a steal.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

What network do you plan on using? This sounds amazing but expensive to pay for internet just in your vehicle as well as an XM subscription.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

I already have a 4g internet connection I use for my laptop when away from my office. So I'll be using that. It's a Sprint 3g/4g connection.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Can't wait to see how this turns out!!! I woudl most definetly recommend dropping the HD for a SSD drive. It will be much less prone to failure due to vibrations.

I am looking at building my own carputer too (with much of the same requirements) but I will probably run Riderunner in lieu of centrafuse. Centrafuse is more stable but Riderunner has more interface and plugin options.

Keep up the good work man!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

In for pics.

Quick Reply: CarPuter Install