Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Loud exhaust remedy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud exhaust remedy?

I love my exhaust, but my passengers tend to complain about how loud it is. I was looking up different kinds of sound reduction materials and narrowed it down between Dynamat(really damn expensive) or http://http://www.secondskinaudio.co...hp?category=72 .

I figured 9 sq.ft would be plenty to do my trunk and maybe a little more. Does anyone have any other ideas or possibly an even cheaper alternative?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:50 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The best thing you can do is get a quieter exhaust. Nothing will help as much as that.

Dynamat and other panel deadening materials won't do much to cut the noise. You can lay it end-to-end and get the effect of a heavy blanket covering the area, or you can use MLV (heavy and not cheap) to do the same , but much more effectively:

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

I am in the same boat. But one thing you can get on the cheap is carpet padding. Sure its not Dynamat but its very light and usually tossed by installers (ie free). I lined the floor section of the trunk (cant see it) with it. It only made a meager diference against against exhaust note, but took away some road noise.

I am looking for a resonator to solve the over all problem tips appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Dynamat and similar products are very heavy and are also difficult to remove later if you aren't happy with them. Been there, done that. A resonator will make very little difference. You really need a quieter muffler. There are lots of threads on quiet exhaust projects. My solution was to run the stock muffler with a cutout that opens under boost. Best of both worlds.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A resonator will help a ton. I added one to the rear section of my car and it took away about 80% of that drone I had when cruising.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:53 PM

If your passengers are going to complain about it tell them to walk or take their own form of transportation.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:37 AM

^^^ lol good idea!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:39 PM

There is a such thing as a vacuum actuated exhaust valve. I have a friend with one on his single turbo supra. Sounds like stock but it wakes up under heavier throttle to reveal 600 whp... (in his situation)

They use something similar on the bimmers.
e.g. they are doing the reverse of you but the concept should set in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Q1NSNvQvU

You could also have your local exhaust shop weld in a resonator on front of the muffler if you want it quieter all the time.

Ben
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:53 PM

^^^ Has anyone actually tried this on an evo? Interesting concept because I wanted a louder exhaust but it didnt want to make my passengers uncomfortable so I just went with a quieter one, but this could be the best of both worlds
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:10 PM

Get a high flow cat, if your on a test pipe.
If your on aftermarket cams, your exhaust will be loud. You can't do anything about this.
Changing the TBE, might help alittle but I'd see it pointless unless your getting those really tiny n small exhaust systems. 2.5" pipes throughout
Or you could swith on the radio louder
On top of this evos are built to be loud
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:35 PM

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ry.php?sub=111

Sorry I was lazy last time.

Something else cool they make.
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ool_Valve/3643

Ben
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

What about a dual muffler setup like a few have done
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Short_Block
These would easily cost a few hundred and this might not even include the installation. With that amount u could probably get a new exhaust
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:13 AM

This might be pricey but it is the best way to keep a high flowing exhaust with all the performance benefits and still fly under the radar at stock-like decibel levels.

When he gets on the gas it he will still be able to love his exhaust note just the same.

This is also nice for long trips when the drone of the exhaust can wear on your nerves.

His passengers would not complain anymore if he installed this.
If you are familiar with how tedious and pricey dynamat installations can get then you might be more apt to consider this as an option.

Just trying to offer a best of both worlds suggestion.

I am certain this is the direction I would take in his situation.

Ben
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep the catalytic converter in the car (or Mil.Spec HFC) or put a big resonated test pipe on it. Dynamat or similar will help keep some of the sound out of the cabin, but the results are negligible, best bet is a change in exhaust or adding one of the aforementioned pieces in the cat space.

Quick Reply: Loud exhaust remedy?