Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Custom dash piece (for iPad)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom dash piece (for iPad)

I wanted something a little different than the usual, so I decided to make a custom iPad mini dash mount for my car

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-kj7kpbx.jpg

It started with that, trying to figure out how it would work.

I personally fabricated my own holder for it, but you could also buy one premade like this one.
(( https://shop.soundmanca.com/ipad-min...4%A2-kit/dp/16 ))

and get a double-din kit from Japan-parts. and cut/fab it together.

Here is sort of the process I used.. (I bought a fake iPad [display unit] off ebay for... $12-15 for the molding process)

I wrapped the unit in tape, then taped it down to a piece of MDF board, created a little bump on the bottom of the iPad (for press-to-release ability) did a few coats of mould release wax (I think ~$10 on Amazon and some Evercoat fiberglas release agent, also ~$10), the 2 different release agents arent necessarily needed, but I just wanted to make sure it didnt stick.

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-a6bg2ua.jpg

Then proceeded to coat it with 1 or 2 layers of fiberglass. I did not have a fiberglass roller to get out all the air pockets, so there were some. I just filled them with bondo later and smoothed them down.

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-uvfq3t1.jpg

This is what it will look like after you release it from the iPad

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-p6rnr74.jpg
Custom dash piece (for iPad)-tjw0cit.jpg

Real one fit's perfectly!

I don't have any pictures of the next step but.. I found some magnets online.. and I don't exactly remember where I got them.. but they are just high powered magnets, if you can.. I would recommend cutting up an iPad mini smart cover and cut a hole then glue/fiberglass the magnet strip in.

But I just got the magnets and put my iPad in the mount, then let the magnets grab where they wanted to grab and superglued them in (I fiberglass over them as well later)

I also put some fiberglass down flat on the table where I wanted it to create support in the corners, then cut them down to size

Then you take your double din mount you ordered from japan-parts (NOTE: The one from japan-parts isn't necessary, I didn't realize this until a while after, the USDM one should work just fine since you're cutting out the entire middle), and cut a hole big enough (I used a Dremel) to comfortably fit the iPad and fiberglass in from the back.

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-lsnqnyn.jpg

Once that is done you put bondo where you need it to be smooth (and want it). I filled up the indents on the dash mount to give it a better look, as well as over the corners I mentioned for support (to give shape/uniformity). [Sorry no pics on the bodo].

You can also grab some spot glazing putty and fill in any small spots after you're satisfied with the main bondo.

After that what I did was throw down some Filler primer to fill any small scratches from sanding.

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-yxiwslk.jpg

As you can see, the inside corners of the pan aren't perfect.. I went back and sanded them best I could but it's not super crucial, I tried to get it down as much to the pan as I could to not add tons of thickness

Once you're happy with the smoothness of the primer, shoot some paint over it, I personally used a semi-gloss, I initially tried gloss and it was WAY too shiny.

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-jelse4n.jpg

And as you can see behind the iPad, I masked of the layer of primer (again, keep thickness minimal)

Then I got some suede from my local fabric/craft store (I specifically went to Jo-Ann's Fabrics) I traced around the iPad upside down on the fabric (holding the pencil so it points outwards)

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-tp73oxt.jpg

And that's what I did to make my iPad mount for my car!

Keep in mind, prior to this I had NO fiberglass experience.

Custom dash piece (for iPad)-gcyjdui.jpg

It does not charge while being mounted in there, but I am also installing a USB charger into my arm rest/pocket holder place.

It plays through bluetooth to my Rockford 3Sixty.3

Last edited by Syringe; Jun 17, 2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Any better pictures? Maybe It's my phone. Good job either way. Im working on something "less permanent" on mine. On the plus side, I'll be able to mount literally any phone or tablet I choose. Good job bud!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good job on the dash!
Only issue now is that there is no "shell" interface that you could load onto the iOS to look integrated. Android has many nice ones.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by evo8lento
Any better pictures? Maybe It's my phone. Good job either way. Im working on something "less permanent" on mine. On the plus side, I'll be able to mount literally any phone or tablet I choose. Good job bud!
There we go. Bigger better pics.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:32 PM

Wow that is cool
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Syringe
There we go. Bigger better pics.
Thank you sir! Looks great!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:20 AM

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Good job on the dash!
Only issue now is that there is no "shell" interface that you could load onto the iOS to look integrated. Android has many nice ones.
I have the GoPoint BT1, and DashCommand, if I don't need to listen to music, I can connect that to the bluetooth and run that If I want. I haven't messed with it too much, but seems pretty cool so far.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:38 PM

I like this! So will you be able to run the charger through the back some how?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:48 AM

No, I wouldnt be able to with this design.

I also installed a USB plug in my arm rest, so I can run power and charge my devices through that.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

This is sweet, definitely lots of potential in this idea. Just have to be careful of theft.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:42 AM

That is pretty sweet. Could you add an obd reader option/app to it? Don't they make those? lol
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by anotherslow8
That is pretty sweet. Could you add an obd reader option/app to it? Don't they make those? lol
Yes, if you check one of my previous posts, I use a GoPoint BT1 (apple approved obd2 - bluetooth) and an app Called Dash Command.

I got the GoPoint one because I tried the other ones and they didnt work with iPads.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:38 PM

nice job on the dash very different. im sure alot of people will try this now
Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by neal.johnson
nice job on the dash very different. im sure alot of people will try this now

Thank you, hopefully they do, that's one of the main reasons I wanted to do this write up.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might be a little off topic but where is your headunit mounted?

Quick Reply: Custom dash piece (for iPad)