Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM EMS vs. HKS F-Con Pro V

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:39 AM
Y2A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM EMS vs. HKS F-Con Pro V

So which one do you guys think is "better" ? Advantages, disadvantages of each? Capability of each?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
aem simply because it does the most but MOSTLY because the support in the states is better. fcon pro is supposedly good... but finding someone to tune it or learning it yourself is really hard and then all the manuals are in japanesse :\.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

FCON VPro and APEXi Power FC are my two choices.. i run the VPro in my EVO and have had great experiences with it.. all the tuning is done by XS Engineering which are both HKS and APEXi master tuners...

Robbie
DSport
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on how much power you plan on making . My choice is AEM aswell because of the fact that it is made in the USA , so tech support would be easier to get.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

There aren't many qualified tuners for the F-Con in the US. I know Dan at Pruven in CT can tune them.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:49 PM
Dom
Evolving Member

what about wiring the f-con?
I don't think there is a specific harness for evo's
Old Dec 15, 2004, 02:01 PM

There is a HKS F-Con V Pro for sale on ebay. Search under HKS Evo.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 02:03 PM

There's only one more day. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33596
Old Dec 15, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dom
what about wiring the f-con?
I don't think there is a specific harness for evo's
yes there is a specific wiring harness for the EVO.. i believe the part # is 4202-RM009.. i have it on my car.. HKS has them in stock

Robbie
DSport
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

one of the problems with apexi power fc (i don't know if there's a similar problem on hks) you can only put one of two maps on teh apexi power fc or something like that. also the sparco evo had troubles at the competition before the evom shootout, they called out the guy from japan that designed the power fc and they still couldn't fix it :\.

there are benefits to the japanese systems tho. they don't have the cranking issue like aem does (aem has to brank a certain number of degrees before it can get all the sensors calibrated.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:44 AM
Dom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZENTRAEDIevo
yes there is a specific wiring harness for the EVO.. i believe the part # is 4202-RM009.. i have it on my car.. HKS has them in stock

Robbie
DSport
so then there is no question which EMS I will buy
thanks
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dom
so then there is no question which EMS I will buy
thanks

This has been said lots of times before, what ever EMS you go with it won’t be better than the person who will tune it. If you are going to tune yourself you will probably be better of with the one that got the best manual and the best support. If you will have somebody professional who will do the tuning for you you should definetly ask that person first which EMS he prefers and is most knowledgeable with before you choose.

I see you are in Germany and I think either Motec or Autronic seam to be very popular around here. Also Gems and Haltec is pretty common. AEM EMS will probably become more and more popular as well.

Good luck what ever system you get.

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; Dec 16, 2004 at 03:23 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:03 AM
Dom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
This has been said lots of times before, what ever EMS you go with it won’t be better than the person who will tune it. If you are going to tune yourself you will probably be better of with the one that got the best manual and the best support. If you will have somebody professional who will do the tuning for you you should definetly ask that person first which EMS he prefers and is most knowledgeable with before you choose.

I see you are in Germany and I think either Motec or Autronic seam to be very popular around here. Also Gems and Haltec is pretty common. AEM EMS will probably become more and more popular as well.

Good luck what ever system you get.
Thanks man. Me and my friends use to tune our cars in the states (let them fly in) or
tune in poland (rallye guy who tunes the best cars around).
Some of my friends are playing with the AEM on Supras and 1gs but I still prefer the
PFC. I had the PFC in my FD and was very happy with it.
However I thin the F-Con V Pro is one of the best ECUs and once set correctly you
will have nothing but reliable fun without issues (cold start and stuff)
You might come down here next summer, we have a nice event at Nurburgring where
friends from UK, Norway, Germany... are talking and racing a whole week.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

see thing is with haltec and other US ems's they're expensive without doing as much as aem... so might as well just stick wtih aem. unless you have an rx7 in which case halftec mgiht be slightly better just because the amount of time ti's been in the rx7 industry.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:53 AM
Account Disabled

If you guys have tuned your own standalones before, you'll find them all pretty much the same from a functionality standpoint. If you are a frequent member of the board, I'd argue you'll get better and quicker support using the AEM vs any of the others, simply due to the fact that its the most popular one here in the US (its actually remarkably similar to the HKS as they are both based on the same GEMS platform).

If however you are paying someone else to tune it, I'd throw everything you read on the net out the window, and use what that tuner uses - you will end up a far happier customer in the long run (assuming the tuner is knowledgeable), and any issues that do eventually creep up, will be able to be solved quicker.

Adam

Quick Reply: AEM EMS vs. HKS F-Con Pro V