Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

alky vs race gas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alky vs race gas

If alky is suppose to be similar to race gas then would you say both are stressing the engine just the same or are they slightly different? Which one is more harmful to your engine?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 02:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
alky.

your engine wont last long. You'll probably change your motor or internals fairely soon, running these on regular bases.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
alky.

your engine wont last long. You'll probably change your motor or internals fairely soon, running these on regular bases.
but why is alky that much more harmful to your engine than race gas?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

I assume you are talking about alcahol injection.... anyway, neither one is the least bit harmful to the engine.... not sure where either one of you are getting your information. Leaded race gas will destroy a catalytic converter, and damage your Oxygen sensors... but you can get 109 octane unleaded from VP racing... or you can go with alcohol injection. Either one of these options does ZERO damage to your engine.

Keith
Old Feb 28, 2005, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I assume you are talking about alcahol injection.... anyway, neither one is the least bit harmful to the engine.... not sure where either one of you are getting your information. Leaded race gas will destroy a catalytic converter, and damage your Oxygen sensors... but you can get 109 octane unleaded from VP racing... or you can go with alcohol injection. Either one of these options does ZERO damage to your engine.

Keith
yes im talking about alcohol injection.

I suppose the same thing would happen if you have a car(no alky) tuned for race gas and you put in 91 octane, your car could also blow correct?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neither one is the least bit harmful to the engine, it's when we crank up the boost or add timing therby adding cylender pressure that will shorten the life of the motor. If either one is used correctly they are booth safe. Leaded kills cats and 02's and if alky fails it could kill the motor if you continue to run on alky setting with no alky...just like if you were tuned for racegas and then run it on 91.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
yes im talking about alcohol injection.

I suppose the same thing would happen if you have a car(no alky) tuned for race gas and you put in 91 octane, your car could also blow correct?
Most likely the stock ECU would pull back the timing and the car would run like crap without blowing anything up.... but it would defenitly not be a good idea. Most people if using a piggyback or stand alone engine management system have seperate tunes for race gas and pump gas. The only one I know of that has only one setting is getting a reflash of any kind.

Keith
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys I cant find denature alcohol where I live. Maybe its not listed as that name but could someone tell me what are the ingredients in it? Is it one type of chemical or its other stuffs all mixed in with it?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:47 PM
Account Disabled

i would be worried more about the consistancy of it burning. that's why i said you wont last long on regular usage on alky rather than race gas.

Stock ECU's ability to keep engine from knocking and detonating has limits.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor

did anyone look in there owners manual and read that the factory tells you to mix diff additives in your gas... cool blue, 102, 109, cam 2, alchohol, its not going to hurt your engine... just remember the higher the octane the harder it is to ignite.. hence the reason you can play with your timing and not get knock.. knock comes from too low an octane, that ignites too easily.. hot spots, high compression, etc...
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:58 PM
Account Disabled

fine, whatever, go try it and find out and let me know.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:04 AM
Former Vendor

as long as its mixed right youll be fine.. people dont need alchohol to accelerate there wear.. they do it enough by buying a mbc a just cranking up the boost. full on alchohol burns cleaner than gas.. less additives in it.. and it has more oxygen in it.. another reason it burns better.. now methanol is a diff story
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

alky is a better way to go when you consider the price differences in fulling up your tanks with race gas.alky all the way
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:29 AM
Former Vendor

another big advantage,^^.. as long as people buy the right alchohol
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
another big advantage,^^.. as long as people buy the right alchohol
if they don't know want kind of alcohol to buy,i would suggest not getting the alky kits

Quick Reply: alky vs race gas