Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gear whining noise ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gear whining noise ideas?

Anyone have any ideas on what my problem may be? Here is the story...

I launched the car, ran up to around 130 and slowed down. Once I got slow enough to put in first gear again the car started whining once I put it in first gear... I didnt even need to let the clutch out. Right when I move the shift to first it starts whining VERY loudly. I assumed it was the transmission at first so I pulled it out and gave it to Rick Shindley to repair. He tore it all apart and found two bearings that were worn out.. nothing toooo major though. He is a great guy and helped out with everything and got my tranny back real fast. The problem is, he told me that may not have been the problem. He was right. I put the car back together and it still whines in 1st badly. You can hear a click click type rubbing noise in any gear at any speed while accelerating but the whining is the most apparent noise and it is most apparent in 1st gear during decel.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?? If it isnt the transmission I am assuming it is the transfer case or the front diff inside the transfer case. Does this make any sense to anyone? Could it be something else? I am stumped. I will probably pull the front diff out of the transfer case this weekend and see what it looks like but from what most people tell me, when the front diffs grenade they make a crunching/grinding noise... not a whine. Any help would be great!
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but what was your problem?

I have a similar problem that only happens during decel in 1st gear. I changed the transfer fluids with no luck. Fluid was very clean and no shavings. Transmission is next.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea destroyed my first gear one time at the strip with some bad wheel hop. Wasnt smart enough to let the throttle out. It made a terrible whining sound...

That was with some 8.5" rims with new A046's. I drove it home then had the car towed to the dealership on Monday morning and told them it went out driving to work heh... they ended up replacing the tranny for me. What can I say? I can say that was a few years ago and since I've been more gentle with my launches.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

but you only noticed noise on decel?

I didn't have any wheel hop at all hmm
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

It was during anything in first gear basically. Sorry I dont remember which part or anything busted, just remember it was 1st gear
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

To everyone I described my problem to was a cracked first gear. I had multiple people magnaflux the gearset and there apparently were no problems. I ended up replacing the input shaft, output shaft, both 1st gears, all the synchros and hubs, etc.... It fixed the problem And honestly..... I made probably 10 passes after the noise started and it never got any worse and nothing bad ever happened.. I just replaced it for the hell of it I guess.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Interesting... glad it is fixed. Looks like mine may be a wasted ring and pinon in the rear diff

I just spent a grip on the tranny rebuild/new x-fer/Exedy HD, guess I'll be looking through the salvage yards for the rear...
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

We just got an Evo in our local junkyard. I can call them up tomorrow and find out how much for the diff if you want. Send me a PM if ya want me to.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

PM sent, thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Pretty sure mine is the tcase Going to see shep in the next few weeks to get it fixed.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'm hearing a whining noise in every gear while accelerating. It's kind of weird though because it gets louder as I drive slower, or so it seems. I'm thinking that it's the transfer case....does this sound right to anyone else?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well I've changed my tcase fluids 3 times since this noise has started.. never any shavings at all. I changed my rear diff today and TONS of shavings on the magnet AND the fluid had shavings in it I had planned to get the tcase/tranny rebuilt by Shep.. but now it's looking like the rear diff might need some attention as well.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

I somehow ruined a reverse gear (not evo) by missing a shift one time. I way overrevved on a missed 2-3 shift and the next day reverse would engage just fine but it was not drivable. I took everything apart, found nothing visible wrong with the gears, they looked fine to the naked eye, put it back together and it was still not drivable. Took it out again, swapped in another used set of gears from another trans and it was fine after that. So, it appears you can somehow distort a gear although that sounds odd.

Decel whine can be too much backlash in the differential. In my AWD talon after 150k miles I had to reshim ALL of the differentials in the car- front, center, and rear. After reshimming them the noise was 95% gone.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:37 AM

I just developed the above 1st gear whine noise from launching at the strip. Damn it! Exactly as described above. Junk a$$ transmissions. I think I will live with it until it gets real bad and then take it in. I would take it in now but I have aftermarket clutch and they won't warranty with that. I will have to put the stock clutch back in, which I still have and then take it in for warranty. Just wanted to vent.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Mine has been fine since the noise was discovered. Finding the shavings in the rear diff was bad tho. Mine definately needs a rebuild but I've put another 20 drag launches on it since....

The EVO tranny is nice man.. if it can handle 60k miles of my abuse... well thats more than I can say for any other car I've had

Quick Reply: Gear whining noise ideas?