Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Possible Boost Leak after HKS Intake install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Boost Leak after HKS Intake install

I just installed my "HKS" intake last night. Yeah, that was fun, let me tell ya.
The question that I had was, I am wondering if I have a boost leak or not. Before I put the intake on I was getting about 19.5 lbs then tapering down to 18.0 or so. After I put the intake on, it seems as if I am only hitting about 18.5 then tampering down to about 17.2 or so. I am currently running an EBC Blitz SBC-iD boost controller.

Is this normal after installing an intake? Also, wow you can really hear the turbo spool up and the Greddy Type S is loud now too. It almost sounds like I am venting a little bit. I checked and re-checked all of my coupler connections. Everything seems to be nice and tight.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Nathan
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my 03 evo with the green HKS intake (it's the cheaper of the 2 they offer) already on it and i am lucky to see 18 psi according to my boost guage. now i suppose my guage could be off but i'm in the process of buying a stock intake to see what i sit at with that installed, it wouldn't surprise me if i was hitting 19.5 psi with stock intake.

I'd like to see someone who is a bit more knowledgable comment on this but it would seem to me that it is possible for you to lose a little boost top end with the HKS setup.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

i really dont think preturbo is going to have a boost leak, unless its right at your BOV.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
i really dont think preturbo is going to have a boost leak, unless its right at your BOV.
you took the words out of my mouth. If your recirculating, or if your VTA, make sure the BOV or cap is secuely clamped on, and check your other clamps as well just to be sure.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Do a boost leak test if you're still paranoid.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:41 AM

+1 bov connection.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Well, like I said all of the connections are pretty darn tight. I dont think there is any boost leak at the BOV. What I am curious about is the fact that the boost dropped when I put the HKS intake on.

Has that happened to anybody else? Now, I cant always turn up the boost. But, I am just surprised to see that the boost drop about 1 lbs just from adding an intake.

I will triple check the BOV tonight, but I am almost positive it is in there snug.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Sep 7, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

If anything your 'boost' should come on stronger sooner. You've just made it easier for the air to flow in through the turbo inlet.

I have the HKS RS intake as well. You may want to make sure your i/c piping is SUPER tight, those clamps take a lot of pressure. Don't overtighten though, they will break.

I am not familiar with your recirc valve, but is it in need of adjustment perhaps? Like other say, pre-turbo shouldn't create a boost leak. The only other things would be i/c piping clamps and valve connections.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
If anything your 'boost' should come on stronger sooner. You've just made it easier for the air to flow in through the turbo inlet.

I have the HKS RS intake as well. You may want to make sure your i/c piping is SUPER tight, those clamps take a lot of pressure. Don't overtighten though, they will break.

I am not familiar with your recirc valve, but is it in need of adjustment perhaps? Like other say, pre-turbo shouldn't create a boost leak. The only other things would be i/c piping clamps and valve connections.
I just took the intake off and put everything back on again, fastening each clamp correctly. I guess I should have stated my issue different. The initial punch definitely feels harder. However, the peak boost dropped a little bit after I put the intake on. Therefore, I had to turn up the boost a smidge. I am hearing a bit of a whistling noise while in vaccuum though (when I am driving normal). I am wondering if I need to tighten the BOV because more air is now being pulled into the intake. I will give it a couple of turns and see what happens.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Are tuned for the intake? I had a problem with my Blitz SUS intake and DSG 3" intake pipe. After install my car ran great up to 4500 rpm and then would fall flat on its face. Never looked at the boost gauge so not sure if I was boosting less. After being tuned for the intake the car pulls hard to redline.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Something to check, on the largest fitting of the HKS kit, check the hose that attaches to the MAF on the turbo side. When I installed it the first time, I turned the clamp too tight and ended up with a leak on the bottom when the lip turned under the clamp.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RyanM
Something to check, on the largest fitting of the HKS kit, check the hose that attaches to the MAF on the turbo side. When I installed it the first time, I turned the clamp too tight and ended up with a leak on the bottom when the lip turned under the clamp.
Very good point, I had that same problem because I overtightened the clamp which holds the filter onto the maf coupler.

Turbo Meg, plenty of people run the HKS RS or other intake without problem... I highly doubt this is a tuning issue since the car runs fine other than .5psi of boost.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j3revo8
+1 bov connection.
second that.... im 99 percent thats your leak..
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Well,

I redid the entire install this time, and made sure every coupler was fitted nice and tight. Everything appears to be in place. However, for some reason, I really cant boost over 18.5 psi in third gear. Not even if I turn the boost up. So, I guess I have a leak somewhere. Also, when I am driving with the window down I can hear a high pitched whistling sound. Is that the leak whistling? I also tightend the BOV a little bit, but that didnt seem to work.

I am heading down to Atlanta to get tuned by Al this saturday. So, if I can get it fixed by friday night, then I am going to have to go back to the stock airbox.

So, after saying that, do we still think the cause of not being able to break 18.5 psi is a boost leak? And do you still think it is probably coming from the BOV coupler?

Thanks again for everyones comments and suggestions. They are very helpful.

Nathan
Old Sep 8, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Nathan, have you ensured that all couplings are over the lip of their respective part? i.e. bottom of bov, top nipple, side of bov, the couplings at the turbo...

Quick Reply: Possible Boost Leak after HKS Intake install