Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

dip stick blew off need help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dip stick blew off need help

i just bought my evo about a week ago when i took it home i checked the oil and there was electrical tape around the dip stick.i maybe thought they put it on to clean the motor and they forgot to take it off.i take it off and the next day i take the car to the track car was running fine no problems.so when i get home i popped the hood and i see oil everywhere,by the dipstick area,the dipstick was out about 2inches it was hitting the struct bar.i dont know how stiff your guys dipstick is, but mine comes out like butter is this normal. i have read other posts and people seemto have the same problem about dip stick coming out.does any body know who sells a dip stick to prevent this. mods are k&n filter,front mount with piping,3inch turboback,safc,ebc set at 21psi,exedy single,the car also has a catch can shouldnt this prevent from the dipstick popping out. thanks for any input

albert
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

omg lol ive never heard of this. Just get another thicker rubber seal to put on the gasket or get anothher on from mitsu...Im sure their cheap
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

its common for the dipstick to come out or be pushed out during hard driving conditions such as auto-x and circut events. u can use a zip tie to tie it down.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

mine does that all the time. most people just tie it down. It is too much pressure in the crankcase. I have been looking at maybe putting a two port catch can vented to air to release the pressure. No easy fix. Just quick band-aids.

Running higher than normal boost will cause the stick to pop out.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with blue by you. It's very common. I ziptie mine down after every oil change or when I'm heading out to the track.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is from too much pressure in the crank case. You should really fix that problem first rather than trying band-aid fixes like the electrical tape.

You said that the car had a catch can, right? On which side...the PCV or breather hose?

If it is on the breather hose, are any of the lines clogged? The line to the breather hose is the only vent that the crankcase has when under boost, if you have a stock breather/PCV setup. Make sure that line is free flowing in both directions.

Also, the car does have a functioning PCV valve, correct? Make sure that the PCV valve is working, too. The valve should not let any pressure out of the intake manifold under boost. That is a one way valve only.

Eric
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

I put a small bend on the stick right under the handle.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Blow by... how much miles you have on her? Its common with the 4g63.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:28 PM

shouldnt the catch can prevent this.isnt the catch can releasing the pressure from the crank case. i also forgot to mention the car has has 272 hks cam and cam gears.also wondering best location for catch can mine is by the the oil dipstick on the firewall isnt this to far.because the hoses have to run all theway to intake and valve cover.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:30 PM

60,000 miles
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

The catch can shouldn't prevent this, but it shouldn't cause this either, unless it's a bad design.

It's really easy to test, though. Just get a new, short hose and run it from the valve cover vent to the intake pipe to bypass the catch can for one run. Go do a pull and see if the dipstick blows out again.

Eric
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:34 PM

the hose is coming out of the valve cover by the intake,side of valve cover and that goes into the catch can and the other,catch can to the intake.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinch the top of the tube alittle and zip tie it.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem when you drive the car hard it pops out so i just put 2 zip ties and how it stays in place
Old Sep 17, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since the car is used check the compression. if all the cylinders are good just zip tie it. My car spits it out as well btw...

Quick Reply: dip stick blew off need help