Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil catch can on the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2003, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil catch can on the Evo

I installed the Greddy Oil Tank on my Evo.
I ended up redesigning the PCV system to make all venting of gases from the cam cover go to the can. The disign is shown below. In a nutshell, the engine while under vacuum is pulling on the tank and pulling of the gases as normal. When the engine is under boost, the pcv valve naturally will close. The force of the air being pulled into the turbo will create a vacuum on the inlet pipe hose which will open the PCV valve in that line and start to pull a vacuum on the can while under boost.

This took a various fittings to perform and I have some actual pics after install on the ftp site. Greddyoiltank.zip

Oh and the best part is the picture was drawn with MS Paint.
Attached Thumbnails Oil catch can on the Evo-oil-catch-can-diagram.jpg  
Old Jul 8, 2003, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Woohoo.. I did it again, no one wants to reply to my posts.

They'll argue all day long whether a 16 year old shoul have an Evo but when it comes to things that matter to thier car, they don't care.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol no **** huh? There was like 60+ posts on that damn thread.

I read the first page and forgot about it...

Why would you need a catch can though in the first place? Are you getting a lot of Blow-by already? You shouldnt be if its low miles.... Blow-by = bad
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Some blow-by is inevitable on any car. A turbo exemplifies it because of the additional pressure. Naturally in time there will be more. I'd rather keep it all clean now then wait till it gets bad and put it on later. Any oil in the intercooler is bad since it inhibits the air-to-air heat transfer. I am not seeing much of anything now but oil still gets into the baffles of the cam cover and ultimately gets into the hoses. The inlet hose is all down hill to the inlet of the turbo, so.
Also part of the attempt here was to try and keep the least amount of pressure out of the crankcase. Obviously never having any pressure is a good thing, seals just love it.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to see some pictures if you could post them.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by joeycoates
I would like to see some pictures if you could post them.
They're on the ftp site. It's difficult to post pics here because of the size limits you have to edit every picture and then post them all. Christ, I had to edit the drawing to get it up here.
If you don't know how to ftp check out my ftp site post.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

bump*
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Oil catch can on the Evo

Originally posted by timzcat
I installed the Greddy Oil Tank on my Evo.

Did you consider the AVO Oil Separator Kit for the Evo?

While the picture below is not the current Evo it appears that they have a can fab'ed up to mount in the engine compartment without screwing into the bulkhead. I'm still trying to get more information on this part from the manufacture.

This can also is claimed to have baffles to help separate the oil.

Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:50 PM

I'm sorry for the newbie questions, but what's an oil catch can used for anyway ?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Trap blow by debris (essentially vaporized oil) from being deposited back into the intake manifold and burned with the next combustion cycle. It can also lead to deposits within then engine itself (sludge). The reason why this dirty air is recirculated is to help create cleaner emissions by burning more assorted material instead of just tossing it out the exhaust.

EDIT: Forgot the fact that on a turbo car blow by gets deposited in the intercooler (like Tim mentioned) and builds up which nobody wants.

http://www.tgilmore.com/talon/catchcan.html <---There's something else to peruse since it's basically the same premise as well. It's the older 4G63 off a Talon/Eclipse/Laser but no less informative.

Last edited by pjal84; Jul 31, 2003 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pjal84

http://www.tgilmore.com/talon/catchcan.html <---There's something else to peruse since it's basically the same premise as well. It's the older 4G63 off a Talon/Eclipse/Laser but no less informative.
I'm about at the point of just using the fuel filter approach. I am testing an AVO catch can at this time. Basically it is too large to fit in any location w/o fabrication of a new bracket, which requires cutting off what is on the can and welding on a new bracket. Nice product but it's really large.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
made my own, have a BR mas pipe and air filter so I don't have the option of running the line from the valve cover back to the intake pipe any more, used to have a little breather filter on the valver cover but yeah it started leaking oil out, don't have $100 for an oil catch can so this is what I did, took some stock size hose, ran it about 5 inches back towards the direction of the firewall, put a napa gold fuel filter inline with the hosing, put another 2 inch piece of hose on the other end of the fuel filter and attatched my breather filter to that end, used two zip ties to secure it in place and bada bing, I like the way it looks, I'm all about minimalism and that was the inspiration for this project, will try and post pics tomorrow. anyone with any input on this please post, just seemed to make sense to me.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Why would it be good to bypass the PCV like this?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bpclements
Why would it be good to bypass the PCV like this?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...864#post382557 See above.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but what and where is the PCV?

I'm new to all this, and trying to make sure that I don't plumb it into the windshield washer fluid by accident...