Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Royal purple to cause damage to T-Case?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal purple to cause damage to T-Case?

Hey guys been trying to figure this out. I have-had royal purple in my tcase. It went out. Not taking either sides here just trying to figure this out. I call shep and find out how much to get rebuild and what not talk to him for a bit and he asks me what fluid was in it. I said royal purple. He tells me that was my problem. That was most likely waht cause failure of my tcase. Well my mechanic that works on the car emailed them to find out if there was such thing if it could be related in anyway and they say no? Now before you all go taking shepards side see it from both ways. Is shepard right from first hand experience or is royal purple trying to keep their name good with me? I can see it both ways but i dont have a clue honestly thats why im asking. The shop my car goes to they use royal purple for everything and they have been around a long time and seem to have a very reputable name. Any imput on this would be great i need to know as the new tcase is going in this week

Matt
Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

IMHO,i would trust shep. Why would RP tell you Yes our fluid is what messed up your tcase?shep has being doing this for way to long to know what fluids to use and not to use,trust shep.

and honestly i used there oil one time,never again..back to mobil 1 for me.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

have Shep talk to your contact @ RP and see what they say to him.

IMO if their fluid is responsable for your failure it should be there dime. HOWEVER as far as I know our TC's call for an SAE 90 Hypoid gear oil specifically, from the research I've done, RP doesn't make a fluid that meets that exact spec. they have something that supposedly "exceeds" an SAE 90 rating and the have multi viscosity fluids, but nothing that is an exact SAE 90 weight Hypoid gear oil.

Therefore if you deviated from what calls for the rebuild is on you.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
Former Vendor

royal does sell a compliant fluids, i bought them for my car, but for some reason the site doesnt show the stuff i have bought..
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

hmm, ive run RP in a few of our cars and mainly the tcase of our time attack car which uses a carbon LSD. what went wrong with your tcase? just out of curiocity did it burn up? or did something break?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The fluid is supposed to be compatible. But I fear it is not. two locals used on the t-case and three months later they both had whiners.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

My tcase whined then it just locked up on me driving down the road. actually the highway at 65 to be exact! But this is what im trying to get at and figure out if anyone else has had problems or heard of such think i dont want to make the same expensive mistake!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

No experience with RP, just seen poor reviews here. I have Shep rebuild t-case and tranny. He told me to use Mits. Diaqueen LSD only in the T-case and OEM or Redline in the tranny. I would trust Shep. His expertise is right in our field.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

you sure he told you Redline in the trans???
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

yes, pretty sure he said OEM or redline for the transmission. I stick with OEM though.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

oem ftw
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
you sure he told you Redline in the trans???
It specifically states on sheptrans.com he recommends redline MT90 or pennzoil syncromesh. Speaking of their website they finally updated the news section with ring and pinion gear replacements and double fifth gear synchros. That should resolved alot of fifth gear grind with the stock single fifth gear syncro.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
It specifically states on sheptrans.com he recommends redline MT90 or pennzoil syncromesh. Speaking of their website they finally updated the news section with ring and pinion gear replacements and double fifth gear synchros. That should resolved alot of fifth gear grind with the stock single fifth gear syncro.
Redline MT90 or Synchromesh?? That's a BIG difference. The "mesh" is thin and the MT90 is thick. IMO any of the 'mesh fluids are too thin and break down quickly...especially in high temps and racing conditions. I use RP 75-90 Max Gear in the tranny and OEM Daiqueen in the t-case. I had an issue with my diff carrier (long story..but basically I had a jdm carrier which has a smaller end shaft that doesn't seal tight) and it caused half my RP tranny fluid to leak into my t-case and it din't hurt anything at all surprisingly. I drove to Buschur, got dyno tuned and even did a track day with 1.5q of RP in the tranny and the t-case filled (1+q) with a mixture of the daiqueen and RP. Both survived.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

I have run royal purple in my tranny and transfer case for almost two years with no issues from it. As for RP, I run it in every vehicle I own and have ran it since day one it was released to market with no issues at all. Failing tranfers cases and transmissions in Evo's is fairly common regardless of what fluid you run.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by broeli
Redline MT90 or Synchromesh?? That's a BIG difference. The "mesh" is thin and the MT90 is thick. IMO any of the 'mesh fluids are too thin and break down quickly...especially in high temps and racing conditions. I use RP 75-90 Max Gear in the tranny and OEM Daiqueen in the t-case. I had an issue with my diff carrier (long story..but basically I had a jdm carrier which has a smaller end shaft that doesn't seal tight) and it caused half my RP tranny fluid to leak into my t-case and it din't hurt anything at all surprisingly. I drove to Buschur, got dyno tuned and even did a track day with 1.5q of RP in the tranny and the t-case filled (1+q) with a mixture of the daiqueen and RP. Both survived.
http://www.sheptrans.com/faq.php

Both are recommended on the website. You can check yourself.

Quick Reply: Royal purple to cause damage to T-Case?