Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

QUARTERMASTER users i need your info/experience here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
QUARTERMASTER users i need your info/experience here

ok here is my little run down. i blew up my trans after 65k miles. ''4th gear 5 speed trans'' i have a Exedy twin HD installed and has been very strong for 30k miles and still counting. i am having my trans rebuilt. i am also having my T/C rebuilt and a Quaiffe LSD added to the mix. now i wanted to replace the clutch as well. you may ask why so ill just tell you here. the reason i want to replace it is because it has 30k miles on it. i am going to be stepping up my turbo setup soon to follow and i do not want to reuse this clutch or have to worry about it failing on me. i also want to replace it to goto the push style instead of the factory pull style.

Before you ask
QM = 1400.00 ish
Exedy push conversion 1200.00 + 550 for rebuild kit = 1750
enough said.

now here is what i need from you.

i want to know how long you have had it installed on your car '' how many miles on the QM twin clutch.

what type of driving do you do?
example
1. granny street driving
2. hard street/highway driving
3. hard street/highway/DRAG on weekends driving <------- this is me
4. FULL drag driving

how is it holding up with your driving habits??

thanks guys for your help.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have 2000 or so miles on the clutch because my car has been down due to changes to my setup.

but I do sprinted highway/city driving with going to the drag strip on the weekends. the clutch has held up fine with consistant 1.6 60ft times.

but like I said I havent had the car together in a while so I havent been putting a whole lot of miles on it.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

If you daily drive the car at all, I would stay away from the quartermasters clutch. I killed it the first time i drove on it

But if your car is a weekend warrior and a straight drag car, then its a great clutch.

Goodluck.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
If you daily drive the car at all, I would stay away from the quartermasters clutch. I killed it the first time i drove on it

But if your car is a weekend warrior and a straight drag car, then its a great clutch.

Goodluck.
ok explain your issues. thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
ok explain your issues. thanks.
Well the clutch is extremely rough, loud, and is not fun to drive.

Just giving my .02

Good luck.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
Well the clutch is extremely rough, loud, and is not fun to drive.

Just giving my .02

Good luck.
you said you killed it when you 1st drove it. so it lasted 1 mile?

drivability i dont care about. it can be loud and rough thats fine to me. it just needs to work for DD and for when i need it most.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I prolly have 4k miles on my clutch. I am def #3 on your list, a very hardcore #3

I beat on my car/flat**** it everywhere I go. For racing/shifting fast I love this clutch. It shifts great.

It is noisy, loud when you have the clutch pushed in. If you do not rev match it when downshifting it will chirp like mad. And it will chirp/chatter trying to take off from a stop slowly. Sometimes being at a stoplight that is on a hill is a Pain in the rear.

I have drove a evo with a pushstlye exedy in it. I did not beat on the car to hard per the owners request but it def drove nicer than mine in a "daily" driver type style. It took off nicer and was much quiter.

I am fine with my clutch though. I am prolly a little more hardcore than most on what I like to DD. My car is a RS with no radio added, solid engine mounts, soild rear diff mounts, etc etc. Its noisy everywhere and I like it.

Fathouse
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fathouse
I prolly have 4k miles on my clutch. I am def #3 on your list, a very hardcore #3

I beat on my car/flat**** it everywhere I go. For racing/shifting fast I love this clutch. It shifts great.

It is noisy, loud when you have the clutch pushed in. If you do not rev match it when downshifting it will chirp like mad. And it will chirp/chatter trying to take off from a stop slowly. Sometimes being at a stoplight that is on a hill is a Pain in the rear.

I have drove a evo with a pushstlye exedy in it. I did not beat on the car to hard per the owners request but it def drove nicer than mine in a "daily" driver type style. It took off nicer and was much quiter.

I am fine with my clutch though. I am prolly a little more hardcore than most on what I like to DD. My car is a RS with no radio added, solid engine mounts, soild rear diff mounts, etc etc. Its noisy everywhere and I like it.

Fathouse
we are just alike.... i also have solid front cross member solid diff brackets, solid AMS rear mustache delete setup, devo 2 piece drive shaft, and all solid shifter/linkage bushings. your reply was exactly what im asking for from everyone else. thank you.

note
i have driven a tilton carbon clutch. i dident mind it at all. it was a pita but its not my car so clearly i only drove it to see how it felt. i can get used to it.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

i just installed one for a customer...

installed.. exedy's..cuscos..tiltons..carbonetics..

this is def the BEST feeling twinplate imo.. pedal doesnt feel as harsh as a tilton... not as noisy as a tilton and holds just as well.. i was really surprised with it
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evodan2004
we are just alike.... i also have solid front cross member solid diff brackets, solid AMS rear mustache delete setup, devo 2 piece drive shaft, and all solid shifter/linkage bushings. your reply was exactly what im asking for from everyone else. thank you.

note
i have driven a tilton carbon clutch. i dident mind it at all. it was a pita but its not my car so clearly i only drove it to see how it felt. i can get used to it.
You will like it then.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

The QM twin is a toss up. For racing it will last for a very long time, for daily driven, not so long. I ran this clutch in my 8sec talon and it held up for 2 seasons, but it was a track only car. I installed one in my buddies 2005 evo that he daily drives and he was only able to get about 14k miles out of it before it started to slip. So again it's a huge toss up. I love the clutch and it's not nearly as expensive to rebuild as a tilton or exedy twins. I'm sure you could get 20k miles out of it if your easy on it driving around town. I've noticed as the clutch wears in more it gets much louder and sometimes harder to control taking off from a stop. I would deffintly look into getting stiffer motor mounts if you plan on the QM clutch.
When it does chatter it likes to shake the hell out of the motor on low rpm take offs.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Jake, what have you seen for rebuld costs? I have not even looked into that.

Fathouse
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fathouse
Jake, what have you seen for rebuld costs? I have not even looked into that.

Fathouse
My last rebuild was for about $450-$500 IIRC
new floater plate
new pressure plate (not the clutch cover but the 2nd plate, they call it the pressure plate)
new discs
and just had the flywheel surfaced and it was ready to rock and roll. The clutch cover can take all sorts of beating, I never had to rebuild or replace the clutch cover.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
i just installed one for a customer...

installed.. exedy's..cuscos..tiltons..carbonetics..

this is def the BEST feeling twinplate imo.. pedal doesnt feel as harsh as a tilton... not as noisy as a tilton and holds just as well.. i was really surprised with it
cool thanks good to know for sure.

Originally Posted by evil_eagle
The QM twin is a toss up. For racing it will last for a very long time, for daily driven, not so long. I ran this clutch in my 8sec talon and it held up for 2 seasons, but it was a track only car. I installed one in my buddies 2005 evo that he daily drives and he was only able to get about 14k miles out of it before it started to slip. So again it's a huge toss up. I love the clutch and it's not nearly as expensive to rebuild as a tilton or exedy twins. I'm sure you could get 20k miles out of it if your easy on it driving around town. I've noticed as the clutch wears in more it gets much louder and sometimes harder to control taking off from a stop. I would deffintly look into getting stiffer motor mounts if you plan on the QM clutch.
When it does chatter it likes to shake the hell out of the motor on low rpm take offs.

same to you. thanks for the reply and what you have seen.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

whats your new setup going to be? why not just keep a pull style, twin disk exedy? i have ran a twin and now a triple carbon pull exedy, and no problems with clips, im just a street car but i shift at around 9,600 when im playing around, just have to make sure you have two or more wave washers. just my opinion

Quick Reply: QUARTERMASTER users i need your info/experience here