Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would benice if the stock intake would have been tested too. I did not think about that until now that the test is completed. I run the stock box too keep the noise miminal. I am not sure how much HP am I loosing by running the stock airbox.
The following users liked this post:
FROSTYQ (Apr 20, 2019)
Old Jan 3, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanS4
what are you going to do with the filters? PM me if you want to sell the AMSoil one.

$45.60 Plus tax and one is yours.

Doc
Old Jan 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Interesting how the K&N and Apexi have about 7-10 less hp than the perrin & Amsoil but around 10ft-lbs more tq than the Perrin and Amsoil.
I don't mind a little trade off in HP over some TRQ to be honest. I wish there was a baseline test with the stock intake. Good job on the test though.

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i wish you tested the HKS RS filter. imho it would have done well. nice results thanks
Yeah, I think the HKS filter would've done really well as far as power goes, but if it were a filtration test it would be close to the bottom. I had it on my last EVO and loved it, but I would take it off periodically to clean the MAS cause it would get dirty.

BTW, what was the pipe that was being used in this test? I'm kinda curious if the Perrin filter would work with the Apexi induction box with the stock intake tube.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corey
I don't mind a little trade off in HP over some TRQ to be honest.
That's way I made the comment. Depending on what you are doing with the car and where the TQ gain is one filter may be better than another for a particular purpose. Hopefully we'll see some dyno plots in the future.

Def a cool test though. I bet they had fun today.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I think the HKS filter would've done really well as far as power goes, but if it were a filtration test it would be close to the bottom. I had it on my last EVO and loved it, but I would take it off periodically to clean the MAS cause it would get dirty.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

After seeing this filtering test of the HKS RS filter above, I'm glad I steered clear of it.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
i think you will find the extra torque will be because of a boost spike at pk tq.

tq is proportional to hp so maxing out one will max out the other (for a given rpm)
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the test. Thanks tephra, I was just about to ask why their was such a torque difference with the perrin and amsoil. I didn't even think about a boost spike.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
however that does bring up an interesting debate - is the filter allowing more airflow to allow the boost spike?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
BTW, what was the pipe that was being used in this test? I'm kinda curious if the Perrin filter would work with the Apexi induction box with the stock intake tube.
Read the first post, I have all the info on the car listed
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer135
It would benice if the stock intake would have been tested too. I did not think about that until now that the test is completed. I run the stock box too keep the noise miminal. I am not sure how much HP am I loosing by running the stock airbox.
I'd be willing to bet the stock airbox would be below the worst filter in this test.
The following users liked this post:
FROSTYQ (Apr 20, 2019)
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

After seeing this filtering test of the HKS RS filter above, I'm glad I steered clear of it.
People act as if the HKS is a horrible intake or filter. I had it on my 03' for over 3 years and changing the filter out ($15) every 6 months I never had any issues. I cleaned my MAS one time in those three years that is the reason it was so dirty. I never seen any ill effects from it though.

Its not like the HKS is allowing rocks, birds, and small children to enter the turbo. I haven't seen any major problems posted on here about the HKS in the 5 years I've been posting here.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JordanS4
what are you going to do with the filters? PM me if you want to sell the AMSoil one.
The Perrin or the Amsoil will be going on my car, the Apexi, Vibrant, and Buschur may be for sale soon, and the K&N's and generic red filters will most likely be donated to MitsuStyle to use as raffle prizes at their next dyno day event since they were donated to me. If the Amsoil filter doesn't go on my or one of my local friends' cars (and get paid for of course) it will be sent back to Oil Doc.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
I had little doubt that the Perrin would flow well being the type of foam filter it is. I am very familiar with that filter as it is the same as the old style AMSOIL Filters that we let go of a few years ago in favor of the equal flowing but better filtering Media we now have.
So the old Amsoil foam filters used the same foam as the Perrin filters? If so, that does not look good for Perrin since the old Amsoil was shown to filter very poorly in tests.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for taking the time to test all of them

for all the variables this sort of test can experience it seems ur findings were similar to ours..

im a big perrin filter advocate.

cb
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like I'm going with the Perrin/Samco inlet hose and the AMSOIL Filter, hey OILDOC, which one will I need for the Perrin inlet hose?

Quick Reply: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!