Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red on stock 83,000 mile block

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Red on stock 83,000 mile block

Ok I know this will be a very open ended discussion with lots of variables but here it goes.

Current mods:

AEM EMS
hks 272/272
full 3inch BR tbe
3.5 inch fmic
forge mbc
walbro 255
1250cc fic blue max injectors to support e85
invidia 02 housing
mild head port
arp head studs.
fp red

the car has been on an FP green (only different mod than the above list) for the last 30,000 miles or so and ran a best et of 11.3 and best mph of 123 on e85 and only holding 23 psi of boost (had a clipped turbine wheel when I bought it used and thats all the boost we could get @3000 ft). Started to push a tad bit of coolant so I decided to replace the head gasket and found out my turbo was due for a rebuild as well (in and out shaft play) so I upgraded to a red.

The cylinder walls look good for an 83,000 mile bottom end with a slew of 11 sec. passes. what I am wondering is how far should the car be pushed (or not pushed) on the stock bottom end with this set up. I am pretty mild on the car when I am commuting and lots of these miles are 70mph freeway miles. I was thinking 25-27psi on e85 would be somewhat safe with my driving habits and good enough to run some good numbers at the track. Just looking to get one more season out of her so I can save up the loot to build the block...but dont want to throw a rod through the block in said season lol. like I said, I know opnions will be varied but I welcome them all in helping me decide on how far the car should be pushed.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

well, it seems that if someone said not put the red on, u would anyway... My buddy is throwin a red on with over 100k miles... i say do it, let us now how long ur motor lasts, and worst comes to worst u get a stroker and run 9's!!!!!!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

KevinD, a reputable tuner on this site has 80,000+ miles and is running a 35r @ 30psi on stock block, daily driven, and tracked regularly.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty much lol^^I needed a new turbo anyways so the next best thing to do in my mind was have my trashed green upgraded to a red. Well if your buddy is doing it with over 100k at least I have someone piloting this boat with me haha!! This can either workout great OR cause me about 2 grand lol
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
KevinD, a reputable tuner on this site has 80,000+ miles and is running a 35r @ 30psi on stock block, daily driven, and tracked regularly.
I have a buddy on here (Fre is his screen name) in the same scenario...88,000 miles with a 35r on e85/30psi and drag races (131mph traps) and does hill climbs. Like I said, I think the results of this thread wont really make my decision but it is a fun discussion....I am waiting for the "you are going to grenade your ****" comments lol...those are welcome too!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:11 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are totally going to grenade your engine.

Last edited by fre; Apr 13, 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

e85 works wonders....the only thing you have to worry about is a rod going threw your block...lol.... i say do it...... we all know the 4g63 motor is insane....but i say go all out 30 psi on the red.... id prefer to say i threw a rod at 30psi than at 27 psi....
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justa4banger
e85 works wonders....the only thing you have to worry about is a rod going threw your block...lol.... i say do it...... we all know the 4g63 motor is insane....but i say go all out 30 psi on the red.... id prefer to say i threw a rod at 30psi than at 27 psi....
\That is an excellent way of looking at it...maybe 26-27 for the road and bump it to 30 for a 10 sec. pass!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fre
You are totally going to grenade your engine
Speak of the devil....this is the guy I spoke of previously. Your car gives me some hope!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:24 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is really in how well you are tuned. If you do back to back 4th gear pulls all the time, your engine might not be long for the world, but other than that, it should be fine. Just ensure you aren't breaking that magic mid 500 hp range and your engine should be able to handle it. Also keep in mind you might make more power in higher gears. I made 530whp in 3rd gear, but 560whp in 4th, because of higher boost being held. Just monitor your aem logs regularly for knock and o2 range and get the dyno math libraries for aem so you can monitor how you are doing on power. (I can give you the settings if you want).

As far as breaking goes, if I break, that gives me a project to work on so I don't mind. I just hope it happens close to my house hah.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

yeah same here!! I just want her to make it through this year and I will be a happy camper praising the badassness which is an Evo. I can get those setting from you or Jake....I think he has them as well. Either way that sounds like a smart approach....btw I disliked doing third and fourth gear roll ons with my FP green so you can bet your bottom dollar I won't be doing it with the FP red in place! First gear roll and then take it through 3rd or 4th to get logs. that way there is no excessive load.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fre
It is really in how well you are tuned. If you do back to back 4th gear pulls all the time, your engine might not be long for the world, but other than that, it should be fine. Just ensure you aren't breaking that magic mid 500 hp range and your engine should be able to handle it. Also keep in mind you might make more power in higher gears. I made 530whp in 3rd gear, but 560whp in 4th, because of higher boost being held. Just monitor your aem logs regularly for knock and o2 range and get the dyno math libraries for aem so you can monitor how you are doing on power. (I can give you the settings if you want).

As far as breaking goes, if I break, that gives me a project to work on so I don't mind. I just hope it happens close to my house hah.
exactly....idk about knocking though...
ever since i got tuned on e85 my car has not seen any knock..
shiet sometimes i would go as lean as 12.5 and it would still not knock...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:32 PM

i say do it i plan to do the same bro
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justa4banger
exactly....idk about knocking though...
ever since i got tuned on e85 my car has not seen any knock..
shiet sometimes i would go as lean as 12.5 and it would still not knock...
yeah mine was virtually silent after e85 and a 1g coil pack install.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else? It would be nice to hear from some of the big guys on this matter but they may be just laughing when they read the title lol.

Quick Reply: FP Red on stock 83,000 mile block