Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Flywheel weight??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flywheel weight??

What's the stock weight of an EVO 9 flywheel? I'm gonna be purchasing a clutch soon and I've heard sometimes its not worth getting a lightweight flywheel.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 lbs, really light for a factory setup.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Aight thanks. That's what I thought it was. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a streetlite (13lbs) or the prolite(9lbs)....??
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
Aight thanks. That's what I thought it was. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a streetlite (13lbs) or the prolite(9lbs)....??
I am on the same boat, but I am more inclined with the streetlite.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

uhhh i put my Stock Evo 8 Flywheel on a scale and it was more like 16-17lbs.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed a pro-lite. I like it. The engine is more free revving. It takes a little getting used to. One thing I noticed is not only does it rev faster but it also decelerates faster. It makes for bumpy shifts when you're moving slow around town till you get the hang of it. At first I found myself letting the rpm's drop too much when engaging the next gear.

It takes slightly more revs when you start off. I also think that I'm idling a little slower, I haven't messed with it cause it's still nice and smooth. IMO it's worth the slight drawbacks to reduce the rotating mass of the clutch assembly and get a quicker revving engine. I love it for rev matching downshifts.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Well I've driven my friends evo 8 with the prolite flywheel and I did notice you have to give it a little more gas to get it going but as far as driving around it seemed fine. My only thing about having such a light flywheel is if it dies off too soon up top. The car already revs very quick because of the short ratio transmission so I'm not too worried about necessarily getting a much quicker rev out of it. So I'm prolly leaning more towards the streetlite flywheel.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
Well I've driven my friends evo 8 with the prolite flywheel and I did notice you have to give it a little more gas to get it going but as far as driving around it seemed fine. My only thing about having such a light flywheel is if it dies off too soon up top. The car already revs very quick because of the short ratio transmission so I'm not too worried about necessarily getting a much quicker rev out of it. So I'm prolly leaning more towards the streetlite flywheel.
It wont die off too soon up top. With a lighter flywheel, you will have less rotating mass which means you will accelerate quicker. It does require a little more gas when starting out in first.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id stick to stock flywheel.. You lose alot of the inertia / TQ with an aftermarket light flywheel.. even our full race cars runs a tilton full steel flywheel..
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Is the IX MR SE flywheel actually the lightest of all CT9 Evos???
I have a JDM IX MR which is equivalent to the USDM IX MR SE and heard that this flywheel is the actually lighter...
Can anyone confirm???
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

It's a ***** to break the clutch/flywheel in, but well worth it. Take it easy and be sure to get it all seated properly.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo@24psi
uhhh i put my Stock Evo 8 Flywheel on a scale and it was more like 16-17lbs.
The stock flywheel weighs 14.116 lbs
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Veronica@TTP
The stock flywheel weighs 14.116 lbs
Jeez thats pretty darn light for OEM... don't even ask what my stock VW wheel was
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I just installed a pro-lite. I like it. The engine is more free revving. It takes a little getting used to. One thing I noticed is not only does it rev faster but it also decelerates faster. It makes for bumpy shifts when you're moving slow around town till you get the hang of it. At first I found myself letting the rpm's drop too much when engaging the next gear.

It takes slightly more revs when you start off. I also think that I'm idling a little slower, I haven't messed with it cause it's still nice and smooth. IMO it's worth the slight drawbacks to reduce the rotating mass of the clutch assembly and get a quicker revving engine. I love it for rev matching downshifts.
After you installed the pro-lite, did it turn on your check engine light?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Id stick to stock flywheel.. You lose alot of the inertia / TQ with an aftermarket light flywheel.. even our full race cars runs a tilton full steel flywheel..
I was given the same advice by the guys at TurboTrix also when I was getting my clutch done

Quick Reply: Flywheel weight??