Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

carbon fiber intercooler piping???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and you think this is going to be a 250-500 dollar intercooler pipe kit if Extra layers are used . hey i lay carbon fiber and **** adds up. lol im not paying more then 300 for pipping. paying 900+ for it puts it in ARC territory so are people going to knock the price like they do ARC products??
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never said it would be cheap nor is it my idea, I lay up carbon fiber for a living and I know it is super expensive there is no way you could make that practical.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

its still a sweet idea tho.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

there is company called Carbonio which makes intake pipes for VW and AUDI applications. When I had my VW GTI I ran their Carbon Fiber intake tubing. Nice piece, but yes expensive. I bough one of the first ones and it was $260. Pipe and filter. The pipe was not flimsy, so if done right it will hold.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

a less expensive alternative would be to wrap aluminum piping with carbon fiber if you just want the look
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

And that is ricer period just like cheapo carbon fiber parts I think all that stuff is ricer.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see this being compared to any ARC part: very expensive, doesn't outperform it's cheaper counterpart, but for some reason people still buy it. Using clamps on it worries me, it would probably break easily.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

It wouldn't break I assure you of that cf is stronger then metal that is why almost all new aircrafts are composite, it will not corrode it will not breakdown and it is lighter and stronger, not your typical one layer of composite over a fiberglass hood that is the stuff that easily breaks.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to worry about is if any of the resin on the inside of the tube should flake off...guess where it's going into. I don't personally think it's a good idea, but hondas run intakes made out of CF so I guess why not. Just make sure no material is going to fly back through the TB.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AndersEvoIII
The eighties F1 cars ran up to 80 psi boost. Even with the carbon composite technology in it's infancy, BMW and others ran carbon fiber intake plenums. The airboxes didn't blow up.

Benefits of carbon intercooler pipe? You could do really gradual, flowing curves, the pipe shape could morph from round to other shapes and retain the same cross sectional area, carbon (post intercooler) would absorb less heat from the engine bay among other reasons. Aluminum end fittings, like Wiggins connectors, can easily be bonded to carbon (like carbon driveshafts)
Exactly! We built the plenums, tubes and intercooler end tanks from carbon for the Cadillac Le Mans car in 2000, not easy, and not cheap.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

there are companies that build such piping kits for turbo cars...

Fro example Werks for the 997 TT

Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey, Jim. Glad you are doing well. Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to your PM.

To do this properly you are probably talking several thousand dollars a kit. You would most likely use wiggins clamps at the coupling as mentioned above. You would also have to machine what ever vacuum ports, BOV flanges you would need out of Ti or aluminum and bond them in from the inside of the pipe. You'd probably want a flex coupler or two in there for driveline movement.

Then there's the issue of bag lines. Do you put them on the inside and have them in the flow stream or do you put them on the outside and have it look like ***?

It's a neat idea but, probably not very practical when tubing is so cheap. Although it is probably more practical than a carbon intercooler which was one of my crazy "what if" dreams at one point. Honestly, if you are going to go through the trouble and expense to make it out of carbon I'd probably just make it out of molded plastic.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Nov 17, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Hey, Jim. Glad you are doing well. Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to your PM.

To do this properly you are probably talking several thousand dollars a kit. You would most likely use wiggins clamps at the coupling as mentioned above. You would also have to machine what ever vacuum ports, BOV flanges you would need out of Ti or aluminum and bond them in from the inside of the pipe. You'd probably want a flex coupler or two in there for driveline movement.

Then there's the issue of bag lines. Do you put them on the inside and have them in the flow stream or do you put them on the outside and have it look like ***?

It's a neat idea but, probably not very practical when tubing is so cheap. Although it is probably more practical than a carbon intercooler which was one of my crazy "what if" dreams at one point. Honestly, if you are going to go through the trouble and expense to make it out of carbon I'd probably just make it out of molded plastic.
We had to use bladders for the tubes no fun, and a huge PITA. The plenums and intercooler end tanks were no problem, but why do it unless there is an endless supply of money to burn. We had to machine and bond any sensor bungs, and all the ICT connections (Wiggen's) lots of fun .

One more race for you guys...looking good! Tell the guys at HMS hello and great job this year.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Nov 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Intakes are one thing but Intercooler piping. Too many factors involved. and as stated before the cost of it, wont even be worth it.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber intercooler piping???