Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4G64 with evo head timing belt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were only talking about the evo, so maybe.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Maybe the 1,000whp stock ecu car uses one and the rx7 uses the other?
The RX7 uses the 1153-1 since its a 6 bolt. I have heard people claim they used that gasket on an Evo but I dont see how since the drain backs are different between the blocks. There are differing PT gaskets as well that still have the PT in the part number. I doubt they have the 34.00 one on the 1053 car. Just in the 1153 there are 3 options ranging from 60 to 210.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Any one ever do use the 4g63 timing belt with a fidanza exhaust gear on the mivec setup. Im having a slight problem like if the timing on the exhaust side is incorrect
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:10 AM

What lower timing cover are you guys running? I put the 2.0l one on my 2.1l 4G64 and it doesn't line up at the top. I'm looking to find one from a 2.4l eclipse/galant, unless there isn't any difference?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sublime44
What lower timing cover are you guys running? I put the 2.0l one on my 2.1l 4G64 and it doesn't line up at the top. I'm looking to find one from a 2.4l eclipse/galant, unless there isn't any difference?
None of them from the mitsu's fully line up. I just have a piece of heavy duty shipping tape covering the seam so no debris gets in there. The only motor that I think the timing cover might work is like a 03-05 Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata since those 2.4 motors came DOHC from the factory. Im not sure if they use a two or 3 piece design or not. I know the mitsu 4G64 lower cover from the Galant or Eclipse definetly doesnt work.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC Killer
None of them from the mitsu's fully line up. I just have a piece of heavy duty shipping tape covering the seam so no debris gets in there. The only motor that I think the timing cover might work is like a 03-05 Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata since those 2.4 motors came DOHC from the factory. Im not sure if they use a two or 3 piece design or not. I know the mitsu 4G64 lower cover from the Galant or Eclipse definetly doesnt work.
I was looking at the lower cover from the 94 Galant GS. I believe this was one of the few cars that had a 4G64 with DOHC.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:51 PM
Account Disabled

I just got the buschur racing bf 272 cams, stage 3 head and 2.1 block. I had to modify the alternator bracket. They sent me the water pump and head gasket that was included with the price of the block. i have AEM cam gears. And it is a half a tooth off. So it really dont matter where the gear part is... so i just adjust the part where the cam is bolted to to "0" degrees? David Buschur said to run them strait up with no adjustment so i gues he means to make sure the cam itself is at "0" degrees. I just dont want 8K to get trashed.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by one1fastevo8
I just got the buschur racing bf 272 cams, stage 3 head and 2.1 block. I had to modify the alternator bracket. They sent me the water pump and head gasket that was included with the price of the block. i have AEM cam gears. And it is a half a tooth off. So it really dont matter where the gear part is... so i just adjust the part where the cam is bolted to to "0" degrees? David Buschur said to run them strait up with no adjustment so i gues he means to make sure the cam itself is at "0" degrees. I just dont want 8K to get trashed.
call buschur.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 07:48 PM
Account Disabled

I did today but every time i do he is not avaliable to talk. I know he is a very busy man. So thats why i came on here. This is my first build and have researched for about 3 years before doing a build and i just dont want my money down the drain because i rushed into something to get it into the car. When it come to race engines its a whole new world and different specs to go by. I am a mechanic and have been for 18 years but race engines are different than an every day rebuild and i want to make sure than everything is done right the first time.

Last edited by one1fastevo8; Apr 4, 2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dyezak
you have to use a 4g64 belt and adjustable cam gears to account for the increased deck hight. Then you degree your cams in. All with stock mitsu parts, good for 1000hp and done many times over. If you have problems it will be with the water pump. You have to use the 4g63 water pump with an adapter plate so the pully's line up properly.

If you don't want to think about it and just want to "bolt in and go" contact slowboyracing.com (they are a sponsor here). Mike huml has been doing this setup for the past 8y and he has a kit he will sell you.
i am about to finish with installation and slow boy sent me two fidanza adjustable gears. I have a evo ix and mike told me to install the adjustable gear on the intake cam. What happens with the mivec gear? Will i just remove it and now the intake won't be mivec? Mike told me to retard that cam 3 degrees.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fvaldes
i am about to finish with installation and slow boy sent me two fidanza adjustable gears. I have a evo ix and mike told me to install the adjustable gear on the intake cam. What happens with the mivec gear? Will i just remove it and now the intake won't be mivec? Mike told me to retard that cam 3 degrees.
no, you keep the mivec gear and the tuner compensates for it in the tune.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
no, you keep the mivec gear and the tuner compensates for it in the tune.
so I keep mivec gear and where do I put the fidanza adjustable gear ( at the exhaust cam ???) .I am installing the 2.4L motor with the 4g64 belt supplied by SBR
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:16 PM

pics

So i see alot of good info here, but Im Running the gates racing 4G63 belt with AMS tru time cam gears evo 8 head on my 2.4 and was told I need to grind the arm om my tensioner to make the belt fit, but also I notice that the idler pulley on the arm rubs the water pump as well. If someone has done all the steps it be cool to see some pics. Im a mechanic im going to try my own idea Im 99.9% confident it will work fine. wish me luck. If im happy with it ill post pics

Last edited by BOOSTDBSTRD; Jan 7, 2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BOOSTDBSTRD
So i see alot of good info here, but Im Running the gates racing 4G63 belt with AMS tru time cam gears evo 8 head on my 2.4 and was told I need to grind the arm om my tensioner to make the belt fit, but also I notice that the idler pulley on the arm rubs the water pump as well. If someone has done all the steps it be cool to see some pics. Im a mechanic im going to try my own idea Im 99.9% confident it will work fine. wish me luck. If im happy with it ill post pics
You shouldn't need to grind anything.

When you say idler pulley, do you mean the pulley the tensioner pushes on? You will have to tweak the positioning of that pulley (using the 2 holes on the pulley) to adjust the tension the pulley puts on the belt, the 4G63 belt will have a slightly tighter fit. I may have pictures of mine at home, I'll look tomorrow when I get home from Texas.

I am running the gates belt 4G63 belt as well and didn't have to grind anything, just some slight readjusting to the tension pulley.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
its been answered earlier in this thread but i will say it again so you dont have to go through the thread again.

use the evo 9 kevlar timing belt (stock) (works for 8 and 9! same belt as 8 but its kevlar)

set the gears 1 half tooth advanced meaning, the mark on the cam gears must go 1 half tooth clockwise.

other then that, you dont do anything else regarding the timing.

Quick Reply: 4G64 with evo head timing belt