Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Input/Output shaft....Can't get it in! lol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input/Output shaft....Can't get it in! lol

EDIT
I think I screwed up...I just looked at the output shaft and it appears to not even be long enough even if it went the 2 more inches through the drivers side. There would still be about 5 inches in the tcase empty and nothing for the passenger side axle to connect to. Are there TWO output shafts?? One that goes in through the trans side and one through the tcase side? I think I may have sold the other output shaft with the old tcase...

Last edited by BuiltS13; Jan 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I might be the most immature person on this forum
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Can't belive no one else has had issues with this
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:04 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check the splines for anything obvious. It is a ***** to align the tcase and tranny though, because of the concentric shafts. They both have to line up and it usually takes awhile to get them to cooperate. I think last time it took be like 2 hours to get the damn things to align. Would be a lot easier if you attach them while both outside the car. The problem is you have to have the engine out as well to get them back in as one unit. Well unless you drop the subframe (bad memories).

Oh just for clarification you said input shaft, but that is the shaft that goes into the clutch hub/attached to the flywheel. Output shaft goes to the tcase.

Last edited by fre; Jan 22, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
sounds like you have bad splines on your front diff
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
sounds like you have bad splines on your front diff
I don't think that's the issue its a new t-case.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

I think I screwed up...I just looked at the output shaft and it appears to not even be long enough even if it went the 2 more inches through the drivers side. There would still be about 5 inches in the tcase empty and nothing for the passenger side axle to connect to. Are there TWO output shafts?? One that goes in through the trans side and one through the tcase side? I think I may have sold the other output shaft with the old tcase...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, there are 2 shafts.
one is app 7 inches ( passenger side LHD going into tcase ) and the long one app. 13 inches ( driver side LHD going through Transmission into tcase)

If you used too much force for the long one, there is a chance that you destroy the front diff located in the tcase.

Last edited by german_evoVII; Jan 23, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

German is correct. 2 different shafts.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

yea if you're doing it right you shouldn't need alot of force to get back in.......I think you need more force to get it out than in??.......that's what she said!!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Berts24
yea if you're doing it right you shouldn't need alot of force to get back in.......I think you need more force to get it out than in??.......that's what she said!!
Maybe the other way around lol But anyway I guess the search is on for a another passenger output shaft. I'll see what kinda cost I can get from a connection I have at the dealer.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
should be around 80 $
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Now I am a bit confused. you have two concentric shafts connecting the tranny to the tcase, the outter one drives the rear wheels and the inner one drives the front wheels. They meet on the passenger side of the Tcase inside the limited slip portion of the center diff (where you fill up the center diff fluid/number 10 in the picture). The actual mechanical portion of the center diff is actually located in the transmission (number 13 in the picture) and is where the concentric shafts come from out of the transmission.

I am not talking about the half shafts that actually go to the wheel hubs or the middle shaft that comes out of the driver side front diff to connect to the drivers side half shaft.

Not sure what the BuiltS13 is referring to now. Now that I reread your top post, I think you might have forgotten to put the middle shaft in (the one that requires a slide hammer to remove). I believe it is around 8 inches or so long (the red added box in the picture).

Here I attached a pic to show you what I'm referring to.
Attached Thumbnails Input/Output shaft....Can't get it in! lol-tranny.jpg  

Last edited by fre; Jan 23, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fre
Now I am a bit confused. you have two concentric shafts connecting the tranny to the tcase, the outter one drives the rear wheels and the inner one drives the front wheels. They meet on the passenger side of the Tcase inside the limited slip portion of the center diff (where you fill up the center diff fluid/number 10 in the picture). The actual mechanical portion of the center diff is actually located in the transmission (number 13 in the picture) and is where the concentric shafts come from out of the transmission.

I am not talking about the half shafts that actually go to the wheel hubs or the middle shaft that comes out of the driver side front diff to connect to the drivers side half shaft.

Not sure what the BuiltS13 is referring to now. Now that I reread your top post, I think you might have forgotten to put the middle shaft in (the one that requires a slide hammer to remove). I believe it is around 8 inches or so long (the red added box in the picture).

Here I attached a pic to show you what I'm referring to.

I need the Passanger output shaft. Directly on the other side of the drivers side one you have in red.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:29 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BuiltS13
I need the Passanger output shaft. Directly on the other side of the drivers side one you have in red.
Oh, I never remove that one. I have always left it in place.

Quick Reply: Input/Output shaft....Can't get it in! lol