Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Inner tie rod?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Inner tie rod?

OK, so I keep driving along and I keep getting this clunking noise from the front-right side of the wheel. I can create the clunking noise by turning left and right too. I jack the car up and shake the wheel left and right and there is some kind of clunking when I do it. Can't be the wheel bearing as the calipers move sideways too when I shake it and I just replaced the lower ball joint a week ago and made sure everything was tighten. Can't be the tie rod end either as I checked it myself and it moves with the knuckle. Only thing I can think of is the inner tie rod. Just want to make sure this is all the symtoms before I go ahead and buy new ones for both sides (now the other side is making that noise but isn't as bad as the right).
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a possibility, however im thinking more along the lines of a blown shock, and bad cv joint in the axles. have you checked those?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

I checked the shocks and they seemed fine. It doesn't bounce around and absorbs bumps just fine. Ride quality and handling is the same too so it might not be shocks.

I don't know about the CV joints. What's a good way to check for these?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your boots to see if theyre not ripped and the inside is dry.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

OK, I finally got a camera mount so I decided to mount it outside, facing the right wheel. Well, I noticed it's wiggling left and right...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffpnL22YwY8

Another thing, I checked the CV boot and I guess it has holes in it. Grease is all over the place from it rotating the grease out of the boot. Ordered a new axle altogether and should be getting it next week.

Also, I decided to re-check my strut and it's easier to push the strut down on the passenger side then the driver side. The driver side is very stiff to push down and doesn't bounce at all while the passenger side does a small bounce when it comes back up. Possible the strut is bad too?

And finally, which of the two is the main cause of the wheel shaking left and right? Struts should just be affected on bumps, not steering. Right? When I steer left, the clunking sound is pretty much gone. When the wheel is straight, it clunks but when I steer right, it clunks HARD!!!

I guess it might not be an inner tie rod after all... Or is it the main cause of the wiggling...?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

replace your axle first, the only thing bad struts would cause would be tire wear, or it would cause vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds, if it does at low speeds more then likely an axle... shake down front end after you replace axle, see if it still feels loose, shake at 12 and 6 o clock will tell u if u have bad hub/bearing or balljoints, and 3 to 9 o clock will tell you if its possible bad tie rods...
check it out and report back
good luck