Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam decision/guidance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam decision/guidance

In a couple months I'm going to be doing a timing belt job on my evo IX, as well im looking to drop in some cams,and I have a few questions.

I have been readng the debates of gsc s1 vs gsc s2 cams,but I am still on the fence as I need some guidance.

I hate lag,and I want more down low rather than up top,I wont be revving over 7500. I dont want to sacrafice streetability as this is what im using the car for. Also CHP is very strict in my area as far as exhaust noise goes, and I dont want to be the unlucky one loping at idle next to one at a stoplight. As far as my mods now I have a Works TBE, Boost conrtoller,and upper/lower intercooler piping. I plan to build outside the stock turbo. With cams do I have to get a dyno tune, or would a mail in flash work fine?

If I choose gsc s1, I dont want to regret it later and do it all over again obviously, but I'm not looking to pass 450hp. If I choose gsc s2 cams, it isnt a big deal because I want to put in ARP head studs,and new head gasket anyway, So if I do decide this route, What will I need besides behive springs? I was reading smaller valve seals? As far as dropping in cams do you just unbolt the cam gears,bolt them to the new cams and drop them right in?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
What i would tell you to do is go bigger get the s2. you will want them later when you go big turbo. the car it self should not be much louder if any at all but with a good tune can help with the loping. you will need springs and retainers.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The smaller valve seals are for dual springs since they require a bit more room, you can use the standard seal with a set of beehive singles.

Personally I would do the s2's and call it a day, only cams you'll ever need.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if you checked this thread out or not yet but it has a lot of good info. You can tune pretty much all of the lope out of the idle using mivec, no worries there.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tle-turbo.html
Old Jun 3, 2011, 02:10 PM

Thankyou sir, That helps me alot. Also I know to bleed the lifters, but is the install pretty easy? I dont really understand cam degreeing, Is there marks on the cams to lign up with the gears? And would replacing the seals be a good idea since im in there?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly first piece of advice chp isnt bad, my car is about as loud with an evo as you can get, ive been next to chp bike cops in riverside at lights, they look over and stare at me cuz they can hear my car over there bike, i just wave at them and acknowledge them as long as your not doin any thing considered suspicious dont sweat it. As for the cams go with the s2s according to numerous dyno plots etc the s2s dont really lose any downlow power compared to the s1s. As far as installing them goes you need to make sure your cam marks line up with the valve cover grooves on the top. remove valve cover. zip tie cam gears to timing belt, iirc the intake cam gear has a few bolts due to the mivec. then take off the cam bearing covers. lube up the cam lobes anything on the cams thats gonna be rolling on somethin so theres no metal on metal heat that can happen. then reinstall everything backwards make sure everything is torqued to spec. then once you do that rotate the crank a couple turns to make sure timing marks are aligned, other then that go get yourself a tune and enjoy the new found power.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Just last week I did S1's because they were cheap and I was cheap (didn't want to buy springs and retainers) lost basically no power down low. Dramatically overtook the stock cam power at 3800 rpms. Picked up 34 peak whp and 65 whp at 7350 rpms. There is minimal lope at idle it's not horrible but it is a different more noticeable sound. Other mods are in the sig.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
We are big fans of the S2s! We have done a handful of 8's and 9's here at the shop and every car we were quite pleased with the results.

When your ready drop, me a PM and I will gladly get you a price on a set!

Bill aka "Spins4"
bill@dynotechtuning.com
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I have S1's and am considering upgrading to S2's. What's the average loss/gain of power down low for an Evo8 without Mivec? I'm more concerned with down low power.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

I actually was pleasantly surprised at how well the GSC S2's helped down low. I didn't see any significant losses at all, even on stock turbo evo's.

-Jamie
(jack_of_trades)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

I know you've done tons of dyno tuning. Is there a range of -+power that you can tell me down low for 8s? And what's the best/worse case you've seen?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:22 AM

Any idea where I can get RTB lube, anti seize grease and a timing belt tensioner

Oh wait I live in alaska, no where that's right it's all freight or fly, ugh I hate it,

Anyways after I get said tools and a tune I'll post up some graphs for basic bolt on's and the cams (S2)

Pretty sure there's a thread floating around here and has been posted up top
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Didn't read anything but the first post.

If you are already pulling the head to do the HG, do the S2's and absolutely do the springs.

/thread
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thoe99
I know you've done tons of dyno tuning. Is there a range of -+power that you can tell me down low for 8s? And what's the best/worse case you've seen?
Its hard to give definitive numbers because every single setup I tuned with them was drastically different. Typical gains were at least 20whp on stock turbo's for most of the powerband though, sometimes nearly 30whp. Definitely get the GSC Beehive springs and run the stock retainers for only $215, that's a great deal/setup IMO.

-Jamie
(aka jack_of_trades)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
Its hard to give definitive numbers because every single setup I tuned with them was drastically different. Typical gains were at least 20whp on stock turbo's for most of the powerband though, sometimes nearly 30whp. Definitely get the GSC Beehive springs and run the stock retainers for only $215, that's a great deal/setup IMO.

-Jamie
(aka jack_of_trades)
Thanks, what about the down low power? Is it recommended that I upgrade retainers?

Quick Reply: Cam decision/guidance