Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Does FP still offer rebuild for JB ? Or can the kit be purchased?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does FP still offer rebuild for JB ? Or can the kit be purchased?

I am being offered an FP black that needs a rebuild at a good price.

I know FP recently stopped servicing FP Red and Black that are JB.

However on their site they still have the rebuild kit for around 100.

Sorry for the dumb n00b question just need to know if I need to act fast or not. Turbo is an amazing offer I am getting. Where I live a turboshop that repairs CAT, Mitsu and all kind of Turbo only charges around 125 to balance and rebuild a turbo.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

The turbine wheel will not spin and its locked up.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i contacted them a while ago about a repair kit for a black they replied they didnt sell repair kits for fp black

the ones on the site are for 14b or 16g
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Are they still repairing fp black at least
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd think that they would still offer a repair service for the turbos that they produced even if they no longer manufacture them with journal bearings. I would sure hope that they do as I am the owner of a JB Red.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDM EVO PANAMA
The turbine wheel will not spin and its locked up.
If the turbine wheel won't spin then the compressor wheel on the opposite end of the shaft won't spin either. Why don't you pull the turbine housing off and take a look to make sure that there is no blade damage. In fact I'd pop both housings off and inspect for wheel damage. It's easy enough.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They do still rebuild JB turbos. I talked to Robert
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:55 PM

Robert told me today that they no longer rebuild the blacks for JB. Instead you can pay $1800 to upgrade to ball bearing?!?!?!?!? THATS REDICULOUS!!!

Once mine dies im going to MAP for one of thiers. at least you can rebuild theirs. FP has lost my business
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVRcarbonEVO8
Robert told me today that they no longer rebuild the blacks for JB. Instead you can pay $1800 to upgrade to ball bearing?!?!?!?!? THATS REDICULOUS!!!

Once mine dies im going to MAP for one of thiers. at least you can rebuild theirs. FP has lost my business
If you look at it this way, the normal price of an FP Black is $2500. They are on sale for the holidays at $2250 right now though. $1800 upgrade doesn't sound bad, considering you're upgrading up to ball bearing and nowadays, spending the extra money on ball bearing is worth it. You're saving $450 over the holiday price of a brand new one so really, it's not that bad.

A comparable MAP turbo is the EF4 and that's priced at $2000. IMHO, go for that upgrade. You're really not going to gain much switching to an EF4. It's also the cheapest route I see too. So, does $1800 still sound ridiculous?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
If you look at it this way, the normal price of an FP Black is $2500. They are on sale for the holidays at $2250 right now though. $1800 upgrade doesn't sound bad, considering you're upgrading up to ball bearing and nowadays, spending the extra money on ball bearing is worth it. You're saving $450 over the holiday price of a brand new one so really, it's not that bad.

A comparable MAP turbo is the EF4 and that's priced at $2000. IMHO, go for that upgrade. You're really not going to gain much switching to an EF4. It's also the cheapest route I see too. So, does $1800 still sound ridiculous?
It's 1800 on top of the already paid 1200-1600 for the turbo. That's pretty hefty, but I'd still probably pay it if I was in the op's shoes and didn't want to go t3
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Didnt know this. I guess they don't care about making money by repairing blacks/reds

Mine is a red and if it ever goes out then I will go MAP. Learning this, FP has lost my business.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

So, If FP doesn't offer a rebuild service and neither do they sell the rebuild kits and if the client does not have the funds to do the BB upgrade, then JB Red's/Black's are pretty much worthless lumps of metal if and when they should should need repair.

I have a JB Red which I bought used. I am praying that it doesn't go south on me in the near future. I just don't have the kinda money right now that FP is asking for the BB upgrade.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDM EVO PANAMA
I am being offered an FP black that needs a rebuild at a good price......Where I live a turboshop that repairs CAT, Mitsu and all kind of Turbo only charges around 125 to balance and rebuild a turbo.
So, how much is the seller asking for this damaged Black? Can you take the turbo into your local turbo shop and have them look at it to ascertain the extent of the damage and whether or no they can repair it?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
So, If FP doesn't offer a rebuild service and neither do they sell the rebuild kits and if the client does not have the funds to do the BB upgrade, then JB Red's/Black's are pretty much worthless lumps of metal if and when they should should need repair.
that s about the size of it, ya get screwed buying a jb turbo off em in the first place then repeat the dose when it goes **** up , shocking service or lack of it i should say
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 420a-t
It's 1800 on top of the already paid 1200-1600 for the turbo. That's pretty hefty, but I'd still probably pay it if I was in the op's shoes and didn't want to go t3
Well he's buying it broken and since the wheel is seized up and won't turn, I'm guessing it's going to be way WAY cheaper than the original $1600. $100 would be the utmost I'd pay for a broken turbo like that.

Quick Reply: Does FP still offer rebuild for JB ? Or can the kit be purchased?