Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help with clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with clutch?

Hey everybody, i'm new here but was wondering if anyone can help me out. My clutch just went out and the Mitsubishi service center by me said they would charge me $2,000 for a new factory clutch, flywheel, and bearing along with labor. I want to get a better clutch that can handle around 450HP for under $800. I found an ACT street clutch kit on evo9parts.com but the guy told me that he wouldn't go with ACT because their flywheels have a possibility to make my Evo IX MR misfire. Then I checked out rallysportdirect.com and found an Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Disc Clutch Kit and a flywheel for it - Exedy Lightweight Flywheel. The guy at the service center told me to always go with the factory flywheel no matter what and also told me not go get that clutch because the puck style disc can damage the input shaft on the transmission. Can anybody tell me if the exedy clutch and flywheel listed above are fine or is there anything you guys recommend? Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:02 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically you would want to stay away from a puck clutch for street use. The main reason for the puck clutch is to reduce mass over a full face clutch, however to keep the power capacity high they significantly increase the friction level of the clutch pads.

We typically suggest doing something like the Exedy Stage1 or the ACT HDSS kits. These are full face clutch disc which are easy to drive, and typically have good clutch life given the car is not running more power then the capacity on the clutch/ car is not being drag raced and launched all the time.

As for flywheels, there is no downside to go with a aftermarket lighter weight unit. By going to a lighter clutch you reduce the rotational mass for the drive train helping increase engine response, gain some performance by removing rotational mass, and gain a little more power at the wheels by reducing rotational mass of the heavy OEM flywheel.

And overall by going aftermarket you typically pay about the same or less as the dealer stuff for a better product that better suites your driving needs
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:41 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Clutch's are typically rated for TQ not HP. Also you will get better responses if you clarify how you use your EVO, i.e. - daily driving, drag racing, autocross, etc.

For the $800 price range , if you are keeping the torque under about 370 at the wheels, the ACT HDSS (Rated at 510TQ at Flywheel) is a good choice IMO. To handle a bit more power I like the ACT XTSS (Rated at 565TQ at Flywheel). I've had both clutches and the pedal pressure with the XTSS is somewhat harder than the HDSS but it's not too bad. The XTSS grabs much harder when starting out in 1st gear, so it takes a bit of getting used to.

Some people have high RPM lock out issues with the ACT clutches. I haven't had any lock out issues with either clutch (shifting at 7800 RPM), but I do have the SS braided clutch lines, shifter bushings, and solid motor mounts which all help prevent lock out.

I recommend that you just get your stock OEM flywheel resurfaced at a local machine shop (usually about $50 to $75). A new braided clutch line is also a good idea and not very expensive.

Dan (drb)
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:54 AM

I use my Evo for daily driving and light track use in the summer. But thanks guys, it's nice to finally get some good answers.

Originally Posted by drb
Clutch's are typically rated for TQ not HP. Also you will get better responses if you clarify how you use your EVO, i.e. - daily driving, drag racing, autocross, etc.

For the $800 price range , if you are keeping the torque under about 370 at the wheels, the ACT HDSS (Rated at 510TQ at Flywheel) is a good choice IMO. To handle a bit more power I like the ACT XTSS (Rated at 565TQ at Flywheel). I've had both clutches and the pedal pressure with the XTSS is somewhat harder than the HDSS but it's not too bad. The XTSS grabs much harder when starting out in 1st gear, so it takes a bit of getting used to.

Some people have high RPM lock out issues with the ACT clutches. I haven't had any lock out issues with either clutch (shifting at 7800 RPM), but I do have the SS braided clutch lines, shifter bushings, and solid motor mounts which all help prevent lock out.

I recommend that you just get your stock OEM flywheel resurfaced at a local machine shop (usually about $50 to $75). A new braided clutch line is also a good idea and not very expensive.

Dan (drb)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

I have also wondered exedy stage 1 or act hdss?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drb
Let me be first of many to tell you that those mods don't cure ACT's lockout issues as I used to have an ACT HDSS with those exact same mods. Having the correct adjustment on the pedal and absolutely no air in the clutch line would play a more vital role in that.

Why not give Competition Clutches new 5152-2100 (HD pressure plate and 2100 full faced street disc rated at 450 tq) a try? Much less expensive compared to the HDSS.

Last edited by bigben; Dec 5, 2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:10 AM

My clutch also went out on me last week. I bought a competition clutch. As for the flywheel, my mechanic told me to get a new flywheel. I didn't listen to him since there were no cracks anywhere, I just got it resurfaced costed me 30$ instead of couple of hundreds. If your flywheel cracked, I would suggest u buy a used oem flywheel and just get it resurfaced, if you have time to wait.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:55 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigben
Let me be first of many to tell you that those mods don't cure ACT's lockout issues as I used to have an ACT HDSS with those exact same mods. Having the correct adjustment on the pedal and absolutely no air in the clutch line would play a more vital role in that.

Why not give Competition Clutches new 5152-2100 (HD pressure plate and 2100 full faced street disc rated at 450 tq) a try? Much less expensive compared to the HDSS.
I never said that these mods "cure" ACT's lockout issues. I said these mods "help prevent lock out" and "some people have high RPM lock out issues". I will stick with those statements. Proper adjustment and bleeding are also important. I think that the new Competition Clutch could be a good choice, but there is no long term evidence/use that I am aware of at this time.

Dan (drb)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:02 PM

Still haven't decided on a clutch, but thats for all the replies everybody. The ACT clutches talked about above seem good but there is the possibility of the lock-up. Has anyone heard anything about the Competition stage 2 clutch? I just came across this clutch - http://www.stikiller.com/product.php...cat=259&page=1 Seems like that would be a good possibility also?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:54 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oO Evolution Oo
Still haven't decided on a clutch, but thats for all the replies everybody. The ACT clutches talked about above seem good but there is the possibility of the lock-up. Has anyone heard anything about the Competition stage 2 clutch? I just came across this clutch - http://www.stikiller.com/product.php...cat=259&page=1 Seems like that would be a good possibility also?

The link you posted isn't for a Competition clutch? Here is a thread on the new competition clutch in case you have not seen it yet:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...-alt-hdss.html

Sounds to me like it might be a good chice but unfortunately there isn't much long term data on it yet.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:32 PM

Sorry about that. The link you posted is a good read, but like you said, only time will tell. I'll definitely keep the brand in mind though. Here is the link to the Competition clutch I came across. http://www.evomoto.com/product.php?p...&cat=47&page=1 I'm definitely going to replace the clutch line while i'm at it I suppose, wouldn't hurt.

Originally Posted by drb
The link you posted isn't for a Competition clutch? Here is a thread on the new competition clutch in case you have not seen it yet:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...-alt-hdss.html

Sounds to me like it might be a good chice but unfortunately there isn't much long term data on it yet.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:59 AM

I just installed the Competiton HD Street Disc clutch HDSS today. It grabs a lot so far. Ill see when I have driven more on it. When my car came out of the shop for like 3 min I had teach myself how to drive stick again since it was so different from my old cllutch master.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:35 PM

Oh really? Nice. Yeah let me know how you like it. I'm kind of wanting to get the Competition Clutch I posted on the link above along with the Competition forged ultra lightweight steel flywheel. Are the Competition clutches universal? Like work with the MR, SE, RS, etc.? And does anybody suggest any brand of clutch line? Thanks.

Originally Posted by GeToFFmE
I just installed the Competiton HD Street Disc clutch HDSS today. It grabs a lot so far. Ill see when I have driven more on it. When my car came out of the shop for like 3 min I had teach myself how to drive stick again since it was so different from my old cllutch master.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

I have pushed well over 500 + whp for a long time done nothing but drag race and the act I recently pulled out looked pretty good to be honest I recommend that clutch it did me pretty good
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:33 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oO Evolution Oo
Sorry about that. The link you posted is a good read, but like you said, only time will tell. I'll definitely keep the brand in mind though. Here is the link to the Competition clutch I came across. http://<br /> <br /> http://www.ev...&cat=47&page=1 I'm definitely going to replace the clutch line while i'm at it I suppose, wouldn't hurt.
I believe that the clutch you posted a link to and the clutch described in the thread that I posted a link to are the same clutch. I could be wrong, so I would recommend contacting a vendor to find out.

Quick Reply: Help with clutch?