Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Noise after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Its likely the tensioner. I just did this a bunch of times, because it took me a while to get the tensioner set properly. If you could run without the serp belt, and or then without the balance shaft belt you could confirm and isolate.

You can remove the balance shaft belt without removing the plate you are thinking to replace. It threads out just so. I got it off and on this way, and then decided to delete the balance shaft.

If you get any cleaner, like brake clean or anything on/in the bearings of the pulleys, even new ones, it will effectively degrease inside the housing causing them to squeel. I accidentally oversprayed onto the one opposite the tensioner when the parts were on my bench. I ended up using the old one again.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
take the lower timing cover off if not already and check to see if you can fit grenade pin in and out of the hydraulic tensioner with the dowell on the cam gears facing up and the timing marks all aligned.

if it wont fit through then the tension is bad and with a gates belt and overly tensioned = say good bye to all your pulley bearings.. the gates belt is very stiff.. thats why i no longer use it and opt for power enterprise or OEM evo 9 kevlar.

i forget what size drill bit can fit in the hydraulic tensioner hole if you dont have the grenade pin anymore that comes with the tensioner.

that car should of never left the shop with that noise. putting to much tension on the balance shaft belt can also do some funky stuff and shorten its life by 50%.

also if the installer didnt use the special rod tool to compress the tensioner before removing the grenade pin and the piston shoots up to fast it can blow the hydraulic seal right out of the tensioner.

Last edited by tscompusa; Apr 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone. Being told that the pin slides in and out with no issue. I am at a complete loss as to what to check next. Only other thing is to swap the gates belt for an OEM belt
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Going to swap out the gates belts for HKS belts see if it helps
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

See if you can isolate belts too, as the previous posts suggested, because of the 3 it would be valuable to know for certain which one is actually causing the noise. i.e. What if its actually the tensioner bearing of the balance shaft belt, and the sound is just bouncing around and tricking in that tight space.....The easy one is the serp belt to eliminate that set of wheels.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yah did this still made the noise with the serp belt off wet the belt and noise was still there. Took the pulley off and noise went away. So still stumped.

Originally Posted by fireroasted
See if you can isolate belts too, as the previous posts suggested, because of the 3 it would be valuable to know for certain which one is actually causing the noise. i.e. What if its actually the tensioner bearing of the balance shaft belt, and the sound is just bouncing around and tricking in that tight space.....The easy one is the serp belt to eliminate that set of wheels.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, is that a new tensioner arm? Or the previous one? I guess I am getting at if you can A / B with another one. I had bought a new one, so I was able to swap things out until I found the wheel that was squeaking.

Not sure if it would help troubleshooting fast enough, but I have the original tensioner, oem belt, and balance shaft belt, with all the wheels. All it good condition (40k). If you don't want to buy swaps or can't afford it I can send you the box on your dime to troubleshoot.

Do you still have the OEM belt to swap in?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have replaced everything so its all new. Mechanic has swapped some of the parts around and the noise is still there. Why we are going with a different belt. I cant wrench cause I just had sugery so its really annoying me not being able to get in there and help figure it out

Originally Posted by fireroasted
Oh, is that a new tensioner arm? Or the previous one? I guess I am getting at if you can A / B with another one. I had bought a new one, so I was able to swap things out until I found the wheel that was squeaking.

Not sure if it would help troubleshooting fast enough, but I have the original tensioner, oem belt, and balance shaft belt, with all the wheels. All it good condition (40k). If you don't want to buy swaps or can't afford it I can send you the box on your dime to troubleshoot.

Do you still have the OEM belt to swap in?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem on my 06 ralliart changed the timing belt and now this noise is here.

Same thing happens only happens when the car is warm and it has the same ticking/rattling noise in your video

It is driving me crazy grrrrr.....
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:05 PM

sound like internal oil pump.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike Nguyen
sound like internal oil pump.
I will check but my oil pressure is spot on
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:22 PM

Have you gotten any closer to finding out the problem?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phukit
Have you gotten any closer to finding out the problem?
Not Yet been busy so havent had time. Hopefully this week I will get the new belts on. New Greddy timing and balance belt hope its that simple. Will post up if it works after I change the belt I am out of suggestions not sure what to try next
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have a similar noise.from what ive seen the front crank seal was being pushed(blow by) forward and rubbing against balance shaft belt pulley.I found rubber from seal on front case.When you look at pic you can see metal starting to show on seal.
Name:  05334905.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  90.3 KB

Last edited by Gordian79; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you. Will take a look!! Really hope to have an update this week.

Originally Posted by Gordian79
I have a similar noise.from what ive seen the front crank seal was being pushed(blow by) forward and rubbing against balance shaft belt pulley.I found rubber from seal on front case.When you look at pic you can seal metal starting to show on seal.

Quick Reply: Noise after timing belt change