Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch problem? need some insight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch problem? need some insight

Hey guys i need some help. I have a 2006 Evo IX MR with 80k on the clock. Yesterday the car ran just fine, then I parked it in my driveway, and after an hour came back out to drive it and it will not go into gear. With my clutch pressed in and car in neutral, the car starts. When I keep the clutch depressed and try to shift into gear, it acts as though I'm trying to shift it in gear without depressing the pedal. My first thought was "OK my clutch is bad?" But then I turned the car off and shifted the shifter into 1st gear and depressed the clutch and tried starting it. As the engine was turning over I gave it a little bit of gas and the car started moving forward then stalled as soon as I let off the gas.

My assumption on what the problem is: the mechanism that is connected to the clutch pedal that disengages the clutch plate has somehow snapped or slipped off so my clutch pedal isn't doing anything? Does that sound about right? If so is there a clutch cable I need to check or a linkage that may have come loose? I already tried adjusting the clutch pedal height thinking that the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way when I depressed it but that didn't work and that's why I think its a cable or linkage. Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrevo
Hey guys i need some help. I have a 2006 Evo IX MR with 80k on the clock. Yesterday the car ran just fine, then I parked it in my driveway, and after an hour came back out to drive it and it will not go into gear. With my clutch pressed in and car in neutral, the car starts. When I keep the clutch depressed and try to shift into gear, it acts as though I'm trying to shift it in gear without depressing the pedal. My first thought was "OK my clutch is bad?" But then I turned the car off and shifted the shifter into 1st gear and depressed the clutch and tried starting it. As the engine was turning over I gave it a little bit of gas and the car started moving forward then stalled as soon as I let off the gas.

My assumption on what the problem is: the mechanism that is connected to the clutch pedal that disengages the clutch plate has somehow snapped or slipped off so my clutch pedal isn't doing anything? Does that sound about right? If so is there a clutch cable I need to check or a linkage that may have come loose? I already tried adjusting the clutch pedal height thinking that the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way when I depressed it but that didn't work and that's why I think its a cable or linkage. Any ideas? Thanks guys!
do these steps

1. check slave cylinder for leaks, pull back the rubber boot
2. bleed the clutch
3. adjust clutch pedal (most likely your issue)
4. look at the peep hole on the tranny for the TOB and make sure the wave clip is still on!!!! (another big possiblity)

as for your shifter, if it feels like slop and moving around like crazy.....check your shift linkage, most likely the bushing came off....the clips that hold the bushings fall off some times
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
do these steps

1. check slave cylinder for leaks, pull back the rubber boot
2. bleed the clutch
3. adjust clutch pedal (most likely your issue)
4. look at the peep hole on the tranny for the TOB and make sure the wave clip is still on!!!! (another big possiblity)

as for your shifter, if it feels like slop and moving around like crazy.....check your shift linkage, most likely the bushing came off....the clips that hold the bushings fall off some times
Hey thanks for the suggestions. So I already tried adjusting the clutch pedal to the highest position and still nothing. I don't think there's anything wrong with the shifting side of the equation since when the car is off I can shift through all the gears smoothly. When the car is on it seems as though my clutch pedal isn't disengaging the clutch to allow me to shift into gear. It basically is the same feeling as if I wasn't pushing in my clutch pedal. As for checking my throw out bearing through the peep hole, how do I do that? And this may seem like a stupid question but how would I bleed the clutch and check the slave cylinder for leaks? Thanks again
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Hey thanks for the suggestions. So I already tried adjusting the clutch pedal to the highest position and still nothing. I don't think there's anything wrong with the shifting side of the equation since when the car is off I can shift through all the gears smoothly. When the car is on it seems as though my clutch pedal isn't disengaging the clutch to allow me to shift into gear. It basically is the same feeling as if I wasn't pushing in my clutch pedal. As for checking my throw out bearing through the peep hole, how do I do that? And this may seem like a stupid question but how would I bleed the clutch and check the slave cylinder for leaks? Thanks again

if you look at the tranny from the bottom you will see a rubber round piece, take it off and shine a flash light in there and make sure the wave clip is still attached to the pressure plate. as for bleeding the clutch and checking the slave cylinder for leaks:http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=17
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

did you adjust your clutch like this:http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=28
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:38 AM

did you adjust your clutch like this:http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=28
OK I will bleed the clutch and check the peep hole, and yes that was how I adjusted the clutch. Its all the way to the end and is at the highest position haha.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

haha peep hole!!! i forgot the real name....so anything work out for you?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:12 AM

haha peep hole!!! i forgot the real name....so anything work out for you?
So I bled the clutch and the cylinder isn't leaking. Still isn't working. I'm thinking it could be a bad clutch or bad pressure plate which sucks since they are hard to replace
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, so I had a very similar experience last winter, except my clutch was almost new and only had about 10,000 miles on it.

I drove it home like normal one evening at an easy cruising speed and pulled it into the garage. Got up the next day to leave and it would not go into gear. Same story as you. A little investigation revealed that the clutch disk was not disengaging.

I put the car on jackstands and had a friend operate the clutch pedal. I watched the fork move through the inspection hole in the bell housing. It worked just fine, like it was supposed to but the clutch never let go. I couldn't understand it.

Anyway I realized that I probably needed a new clutch. I thought that it must have came apart or lost a spring on the hub. I ordered a new one and went through the trouble of putting it in. When I got everything apart what I found was the clutch disk had stuck to the PP. It came apart stuck together and I had to separate them with a flat blade screw driver. It left little bits of the clutch material stuck to the PP, just on the outside edge.

I don't know if it was the Kevlar that made it stick. I had a comp stage 3, one of the first models. Maybe Kevlar disks are more prone to that but it definitely wasn't abused. Went with a comp stage 2 and I'm pretty happy with it.

I had this idea in my head the whole time that it might be stuck like that. I almost had someone hold the clutch pedal down while I slipped something in between the spring fingers on the PP to tap the disk with a hammer and knock it loose. Looking back now I should have tried that but I wasn't sure if it was a stupid idea at the time. It probably would have knocked it loose and I would have been back in business. It sounds a little crazy but think about it.

Anyway I do like the comp stage 2 better so it wasn't a total lose.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:15 AM

@JohnDoe1984

Thanks for the insight. Yeah it's so strange that sounds like the exact same thing that's happenning to me. The pp is not disengaging to allow me to put it in gear.

The current clutch I have in there right now is a clutchmaster fx300 stage 2. I actually ordered the comp stage 2 full faced clutch last night. When I saw your post today I was relieved when you said you had bought the same clutch. It worried me at first with the lower cost but all of the reviews said it was good and thanks for validating. Does the comp stage 2 clutch hold pretty well and it is difficult to drive?(grabs hard and loud) I will be sure to check and see if I can separate the pp and clutch once I get my car up on stands. I just haven't had alot of time to work on it. I will do that tonight and let you know. Thanks again for the help guys.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:18 AM

Also everyone says the clutch install is hard. Is it really pretty difficult? I know it will take a long time and I'm fine with that.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Also everyone says the clutch install is hard. Is it really pretty difficult? I know it will take a long time and I'm fine with that.
clutch install is pretty simple if you have any type of mechanical skill, it will help if you have an engine hoist or tranny jack. if you do this on the ground with no lift i would suggest the car be 15-20in off the ground from the front lip. i used my cross beams in my garage as i had no lift, PITA!!!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:09 AM

awesome ha yeah I've done clutches before, but never on an Evo. I heard there's a lot to it and there's only a few people I would trust with the car.

@lostsoulsevo- I will see if I can get ahold of a engine and tranny jack.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup I had this same problem before, clutch disk fused to the flywheel/pressure plate. How many miles are on your clutch? I think mine crapped out around 40k, but it took a hell of a lot of abuse in LA traffic.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea clutch jobs are pretty hard after it's all said and done it's alot of work. But I did mine in midsummer heat almost a week it took, I think I can do it in one weekend now with the experience and cool weather though.

Quick Reply: clutch problem? need some insight