Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Valve Springs w/ retainers for evo 9?? Need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoEvo9
Thats awesome haha. Cant wait to see how mine holds up! How much power are you pushing on it?
Nearly 400tq and over 400whp for the past 2 years with a few launches at this power level. I personally wouldn't own anything but a 6 speed in the Evos
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:37 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
So, I run the GSC S2 cams and I wanted to add the cheap insurance of springs, but I wasn't sure if I really needed to change the retainers so I asked the guys at GSC. Maybe they push them to sell another part, but this is what they had to say about it:

Originally Posted by golgo13
I already own your set of titanium retainers for my evo IX, but is there an advantage to going away from the OEM aluminium and putting in the heavier titanium retainers? These are part of the S2 cams and beehive valve springs I purchased as well. If they are not needed, I'll just sell them to someone else. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Travis@GSC
The added weight of the Ti retainer is overshadowed by its durability. Our Beehive spring kit is designed to use them and I suggest installing them for reliability, especially with the added pressures from the S2 cams and beehive springs.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting.. So many mixed opinions lol

Last edited by ChicagoEvo9; Mar 8, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
Nearly 400tq and over 400whp for the past 2 years with a few launches at this power level. I personally wouldn't own anything but a 6 speed in the Evos

Thats pretty good but I'm a little more power hungry!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:48 AM

i am installing s2s on my mivec next week n have brian crower spring n retainers.. with my current bc cams.. should i upgrade my springs n retainers to kiggly or gsc??? or does it not really matter?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

So, I run the GSC S2 cams and I wanted to add the cheap insurance of springs, but I wasn't sure if I really needed to change the retainers so I asked the guys at GSC. Maybe they push them to sell another part, but this is what they had to say about it:
Did you also change the seats?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:59 AM

bought the car as is .. was told it had a "BC head job"... cams valves spring n retainers is all i think it is.. so i bought the s2s n a bunch of other big power stuff n just dont know if i should change the springs n retainers or not... or if the bc stuff will maintain
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dlucasevo8
bought the car as is .. was told it had a "BC head job"... cams valves spring n retainers is all i think it is.. so i bought the s2s n a bunch of other big power stuff n just dont know if i should change the springs n retainers or not... or if the bc stuff will maintain

I'm pretty sure you can use any brand springs/retainers. If you actually have them then I wouldnt but you if your not sure I would probably do them just for your own satisfaction.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Not sure about the best, but I used gsc. I run s2's also
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Ive searched and searched but every post is outdated about this..

I have an Evo 9 that will be running gsc s2 cams on stock turbo.

The question I have is what are the best valve springs w/ retainers for my setup??

I was thinking about going with the gsc stage 2 valve springs w/ retainers or the stage 3 which would include changing the seats. Ive also heard to go with the kiggly valve springs..

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

None of our kits include seats. They are designed for the OEM seats.
As long as you don't want to rev it higher than stock rev limit, or turn up the boost the stock valve springs/retainer will be fine.
You can run any upgraded valve spring with our S2 cams. I personally suggest keeping with some sort of beehive, they are proven to work better, even the OEM spring is beehive. Our kits are designed to use our Titanium retainers, that's why they are sold in a set. But as others have said, stock retainers are actually pretty good for a lot of set ups.
As for the guys running BC springs, they offer a low and high pressure, so you just need to be sure of which one. But it shouldn't be a problem as long as your not trying to run 40PSI at 9500RPM.
EDIT: BC has a single and Dual Spring, so it will be easier to tell which you have, their specs are on their website.
Travis

Last edited by Travis@GSC; Mar 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Did you also change the seats?
Nope stock.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

any more suggestions?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We use the supertech duals in pretty much every car we build. They seem to work really well.

-Em
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick with beehives, duels are pointless.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I run Kelford 272s and have a ported head with Ferrea valves, beehive springs and titanium retainers and my shop said basically the same thing. The tiny extra cost is worth the reliability.

Quick Reply: Best Valve Springs w/ retainers for evo 9?? Need suggestions!