Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car wont go into gear again! But on a brand new build!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car wont go into gear again! But on a brand new build!?

Ok guys, so to summarize my last build, my flywheel bolts came out of my crank and my flywheel from my Exedy triple was buzzing the crank. Damaged the threads pretty good in the crank and the crank itself was badly chipped up. While it was still together, the trans would not go into gear at all, it was totally locked out unless I adjusted the clutch pedal rod all the way out it would go in after playing around a bit.

In short, a new motor just came back to me from English Racing along with a Competition Triple Disc with a pull to push conversion. A brand new shep Trans also went in the car.

Car started up flawlessly yesterday as it was all finally 100% together, I was very happy. But when we went to adjust the clutch with the car in the air, the SAME problem I had with the Exedy not going into gear (which I attributed to the flywheel bolts coming out of the crank at the time) the Comp Triple now will not go into gear at all.

If I can get it into gear, the tires are spinning like hell and mind you the clutch is 100% to the floor. Aka, the clutch is not fully disengaging and there is bad drag. The rod on the clutch pedal is adjusted all the way out to allow the pedal the greatest amount of travel. But, at the top of the travel, the pedal feels floppy/dead. If I adjust the rod in to shortten the pedal travel, the pedal feels dead and like it wasnt bled at all. My friend also said that the throwout fork is literally moving like 1/2" when I move the clutch pedal down to the floor. Isnt that not enough?

My immediate guesser are rebleed the slave again, or my master cylinder needs to be replaced. I have a brand new slave on the trans as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or any ideas! Happy 4th btw!

Last edited by Svendiesel; Jul 4, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to add, that does suck. I'd be interested to hear what the culprit is.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:45 AM

Just wondering, do you have a clutch fork stop on the new transmission? Is it properly adjusted? I know you said your friend saw it moving a little but just wondering if he knows about the fork stop, that's of there is one.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is the clutch fork bent or not moving freely?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

there is no fork stop on this system because it is a push clutch. and to my knowledge no the fork is not bent at all.

one thing I thought of, is that I was attempting to bleed the system with the pedal adjusted all the way out. I think i need to attempt to adjust it with the pedal all the way in, or at least in more, to allow for the piston to compress properly and bleed properly. im going to give that a shot
Old Jul 4, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah bleed clutch properly and report back...
http://teamrip.com/how_to_properly_b...utch_info.html
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

That ^ is extremely helpful and was the exact opposite of what I was doing I am pretty confident that a PROPER bleed will do the trick. Thank you for posting that. Ill report back if it worked.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

the pedal feels better. but the trans still will not go into gear with the engine on. I measured from the contact point of the bolt that pushes the fork that that there is only1/2 in of fork travel when the pedal is pushed from the top of the throw down to the floor.

isnt that not a lot?

I have no idea why it isnt. the master cylinder is not leaking. the slave seems to be bled just fine now. still, it doesnt work.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
the pedal feels better. but the trans still will not go into gear with the engine on. I measured from the contact point of the bolt that pushes the fork that that there is only1/2 in of fork travel when the pedal is pushed from the top of the throw down to the floor.

isnt that not a lot?

I have no idea why it isnt. the master cylinder is not leaking. the slave seems to be bled just fine now. still, it doesnt work.
Hm that's weird Steve, if you want I can measure how much my clutch fork moves. You may have to shim your pivot ball to get more fork travel. Pm me ya digitz so I can text you tomorrow. lulz
Old Jul 5, 2013, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

tell me this tho, if anyone. if I gently apply pressure to the shifter, it does eventually slip in. But it doesnt go in easily like it should. and once it is in gear, with the car in the air, the tires are spinning like hell. and it doesnt matter where I have the clutch pedal adjusted. High, low, the tires spin.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 05:54 PM
08x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the same thing happen to me bro you gotta bleed the clutch properly.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I mean it makes sense to me really. I dunno tho haha Im so stressed over this for no reason. the motor literally runs like a dream. i just want to drive the car
Old Jul 6, 2013, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered a new full clutch line, mine, I believe had a leak a while back at where the fitting is crimped to the line. Lets hope this fixes it.

Anyone else have any ideas? Anyone familiar with Comp's push/pull conversion?

The piece below the clutch.

Last edited by Svendiesel; Jul 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Currently waiting to hear from Comp and English. Nothing seemed to work, slave was fully bled at least 5 or 6 times total. My master cylinder is not leaking.

Looks like the trans will need to come off to address some unforseen clutch issue.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Currently waiting to hear from Comp and English. Nothing seemed to work, slave was fully bled at least 5 or 6 times total. My master cylinder is not leaking.

Looks like the trans will need to come off to address some unforseen clutch issue.
Did Aaron confirm the push pull conversion is installed correctly ( correct orientation? Pic might help there?

Quick Reply: Car wont go into gear again! But on a brand new build!?