Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Labs 25G Turbo Failed in less then 2 months!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Turbo Labs 25G Turbo Failed in less then 2 months!

Hey all I just wanted to make a informative thread about Turbo Labs there customer service and there "high" quality parts they use on there turbo's

I purchased a "Turbo Labs" 25G Billet, TD06 Turbine wheel, 3inch antisurge kinugawa housing with ported hotside to fit the Td06 wheel which THEY balanced and built for me

It took these guys almost 2 months to build me the turbo and that's how long it lasted.

I paid a little over $700 for this turbo because of a "core charge" of $150 for a blown evo 9 turbo that they used to rebuild it to the 25g with...ok whatever.

Let me get to the point

I made 450whp and 390wtq @ 25PSI (24 MAP) @ Precision Tuning dyno
I have NO BOOST LEAKS in my car i did boost leak tests before i went on the dyno.

How i have the turbo hooked up:
Im using the FP OFH JB Relocation kit with Kiggly HLA and revving to 8500 rpms
which was recommended to me by "Austin Cole" possibly the "president, owner, builder" of "Turbo Labs" whatever he wants to call himself.

oh and Im running Joe Gibbs Racing oil 20/50 and yes i do let my engine warm up to 180 Water temp before i start driving/boosting

What was happening:
Under Boost the car would pull fine (seemed much more laggy then it did a few weeks ago) when i released the gas and the bov would blow off one second later a BIG CLOUD OF WHITE SMOKE WOULD SHOOT OUT OF MY MUFFLER. I was like WOW MY TURBO IS GONE!

I Contacted Austin from TL explaining to him what i noticed and why i think my turbo is going to fail, long story short he was giving me every possibility to why its not my turbo and i need to make sure i have a VTA VC which i do on the intake side but im still running stock PVC on Manifold / VC side (which shouldnt cause the turbo to fail). Ok so i decided to do some more trouble shooting in hopes its not my turbo so i took the down pipe off and what did i see dripping from the turbo? hmmm oil....i ONCE AGAIN called Turbo Labs (austin) and told him "listen i think my turbo is blown because im getting A LOT of white smoke coming out of my exhaust muffler. He once again stated that its because 1 i dont have a catch can 2 my car isnt tuned properly 3 something wrong with my engine yada yada yada...and proceeded to sell me a "Rebuild kit" at this point i realized he was NOT going to help me and i purchased the rebuild kit off of him for $60 that he gets from this site
http://www.zageturbo.com/

Dont buy from these guys they have no reputation as a company, have no type of warranty service and they didnt offer to take a look and see what they could do considering i dropped almost 800$ with them. If there customer service was anywhere near FP or PTE i would not be here wasting my time posting this on EVOM. No one helped me no one offered to help nor did anyone care.

I have called / Txt Austin numerous times since yesterday with no response.
he does all his business on his Facebook group "Turbo Labs" and has over 1000 members which 100 of which are a bunch of fan boys that make immature posts about how "your a f*g, stop complaining, stop B!tching" I dont get it this is a business but your hoodlums are sitting there bashing on a PAYING customer that is unhappy because no one is responding to his requests? or even ATTEMPTING to assist me.

These are the pics of my beautiful turbo taken apart:
oh yeah when i was talking to them on facebook one guy kept saying POST A PIC OF THE SHAFT I BET ITS BLUE! I was like of course its blue METAL broke off the turbo and clogged the oil lines you morons.

Name:  IMG_5050_zps75171301.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9020_zpse0e1a2cc.jpg
Size:  73.3 KBName:  IMG_7526_zps2cce71e5.jpg
Size:  92.5 KBName:  IMG_8696_zps2f011e18.jpg
Size:  97.6 KBName:  IMG_0337_zps02e7902a.jpg
Size:  98.8 KB
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy inferior parts expect inferior customer service... shoulda bought an FP from the start...what went through the turbine wheel?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Im not really a turbo builder thats why i paid someone else to do it....But your right i could of just gotten a used FP BLACK would of lasted MUCH LONGER then this junk

and if u see the pic of my holding that ring in my hand...that was inside the turbo.....
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Sorry to hear that sucks. They should have had u send back the turbo so that they can inspect it and try to figure out what went wrong.

Sucks this happened to you but if the level of CS is what u say it is (I mean how can they not ask that u send the turbo back for inspection) they will not be in business very long
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:15 PM
Account Disabled

exactly my thought. But they didnt instead they sell me a rebuild kit....GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! and i get bashed by hoodlums in there facebook group LOL
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
It looks to me by the last picture, that this isnt the turbo or turbo builders fault. something went through the hot side when the turbo was at speed. large enough to damage all the tips. once out of balance it self destructed in just a few pulls. there are too many errors that could have caused this. and the offending particle is long gone out the exhaust. But from where i am sitting this was your install or failing engines fault. so you might want to reconsider your attempt to bash someones reputation.

Every new turbo no matter where its from should be inspected frequently for shaft play or siren type noises while boosting. I free rev before drive. check shaft. quick run get into boost for a second come home. check shaft. slowly increasing the check intervals until you are confident. you got a good one. you can always catch problems early before major problems arise if you are paying close attention.

it is also very clear this was not at all related to any type of oil malfunction. there is no burning of thrust or shaft. the problem occurred at the turbine. the chips through tips of the wheel can only be explained by foreign object damage.

I built a car a few years back that set the record for turbo nightmares. unthinkable chain of events led to four blown turbos in just two weeks. all foreign object damage.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
case closed^^^^^^^^^^ he hit it on the head, something went through that turbo and caused it to die. what were you using as a filtration?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:44 PM
Account Disabled

fp oil filter thats in the oil feed line of the turbo....took filter out and there were no metal in it..

I spoke to austin 2day and the company is willing to rebuild the turbo. We shall see and this post will be removed if there customer service is up to par.

All i really wanted was customer service from them i wasnt expecting them to say OK WELL FIX IT FOR FREE SEND IT BACK! this is not a XBOX 360 and they are not microsoft.

It takes time/money to do this and i do understand that as i am a distributor for maperformance and customer service is something i LIVE by
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:59 PM

What an a**hole you must feel like ... lol
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That ring is the turbine oil seal. Did the Turbo have massive shaft play? If it did then the ring could have been spit out at speed. If not then it was probably crooked when the Turbo was assembled. That's why it started smoking. The foreign object damage was probably none of the issue.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
That ring is the turbine oil seal. Did the Turbo have massive shaft play? If it did then the ring could have been spit out at speed. If not then it was probably crooked when the Turbo was assembled. That's why it started smoking. The foreign object damage was probably none of the issue.
turbo much?? if the ring was crooked when assembled it wouldn't have made it through dyno session.. "lasted only two months"

beeep , thanks for playing. your diagnosis is not even close.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Blown turbos don't blow engines, blown engines blow turbos
Saw "metal flakes" and stopped reading.
What a tool
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

is this guy for real
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:57 AM

took filter out and there were no metal in it
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
It looks to me by the last picture, that this isnt the turbo or turbo builders fault. something went through the hot side when the turbo was at speed. large enough to damage all the tips. once out of balance it self destructed in just a few pulls. there are too many errors that could have caused this. and the offending particle is long gone out the exhaust. But from where i am sitting this was your install or failing engines fault. so you might want to reconsider your attempt to bash someones reputation.

Every new turbo no matter where its from should be inspected frequently for shaft play or siren type noises while boosting. I free rev before drive. check shaft. quick run get into boost for a second come home. check shaft. slowly increasing the check intervals until you are confident. you got a good one. you can always catch problems early before major problems arise if you are paying close attention.

it is also very clear this was not at all related to any type of oil malfunction. there is no burning of thrust or shaft. the problem occurred at the turbine. the chips through tips of the wheel can only be explained by foreign object damage.

I built a car a few years back that set the record for turbo nightmares. unthinkable chain of events led to four blown turbos in just two weeks. all foreign object damage.

This^

that is why I asked what went through the turbine wheel.. the clip he had in his hand would have been mangled if it had caused the eating of the turbine wheel like is shown in the last picture. In the picture of the thrust bearing there was no irregular wear and there was no coking on the shaft from getting hot. FOD would cause that big chip out of the turbine wheel for sure, my guess is a piece of porcelain

Quick Reply: Turbo Labs 25G Turbo Failed in less then 2 months!