Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pep Boys told me it was the turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pep Boys told me it was the turbo?

Last week I blew a hose in my cooling system when I was WOT. I took it to PepBoys and got it back on Friday but when I go WOT now the car starts to make a sound coming from beneath the passenger feet. It kinda sounds like rubber on rubber or something hitting the tire. It sounds what I imagine a tire hitting a hose with the hose jumping back and forth onto it.

So when I took it back in today they told me that it was the turbo and that everything is fine. I do not believe they really know what it is. I just bought my first evo 4 weeks ago and it is a 2004 Evo 8 with 90,000 miles on it. So my question is anyone ever heard of a turbo doing that? Secondly, I live in the Phoenix area and does anyone has any recommendations as to having a better mechanic look at it? Thank you guys!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.wingzperformance.com/
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Deluxe2481
Last week I blew a hose in my cooling system when I was WOT. I took it to PepBoys and got it back on Friday but when I go WOT now the car starts to make a sound coming from beneath the passenger feet. It kinda sounds like rubber on rubber or something hitting the tire. It sounds what I imagine a tire hitting a hose with the hose jumping back and forth onto it.

So when I took it back in today they told me that it was the turbo and that everything is fine. I do not believe they really know what it is. I just bought my first evo 4 weeks ago and it is a 2004 Evo 8 with 90,000 miles on it. So my question is anyone ever heard of a turbo doing that? Secondly, I live in the Phoenix area and does anyone has any recommendations as to having a better mechanic look at it? Thank you guys!

Is this your issue? circled in red at right front side of valve cover?

Last edited by VanduzerWilliam; Apr 7, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Maybe the passenger wheel liner was taken off and then wasn't put back correctly. That might be the sound you are hearing.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
dont take your evo to pepboys.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kada__85
i missed that small part in my reply haha, thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

Wow.. Please do not take your evo to mom & pop shops or ANY shop that does not specialize in evo's. Do yourself a favor and join a local evo forum.. Even if you cant find a shop, im sure you can find a few experienced guys that can help you out..
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pepboys I would rather have my little brother screw with my car than take it to them
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

lol we wont even take our hoopty to pep boys.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I would never take an Evo to Pep Boys. If you are not able to wrench on your own car for whatever reason find a good shop that is familiar with the platform.

the noise is more than likely one of your fender liners is loose rubbing on the tire. Probably re installed wrong at Pep Boys.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by asu11
^^ This!!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Rofl I saw the thread on this title and knew that was your first mistake. They were more then likely too busy joy riding your car around the block to check what was wrong
Old Apr 8, 2014, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kada__85
hey... i work at pepboys... i also run an evo shop... i can't say for certain that their diagnosis stands but the guy who would have looked at the car would be ase certified or a very experienced technician... or at least in el paso...
if he said they turbo is ****ed its probably is... even if its not the reason you brought it in..

that being said dont take your car to pepboys because they are expensive as ****...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I actually LOL'd when I read the title. Not bashing pep boys but they my not have the experience with EVOs. Its not a common car to take in there. Take all the advice in this thread and take the vehicle to a dedicated evo shop or find a local member that knows these cars and have it looked at.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Pep boys around me will hire any ****ing thug that needs a job. I asked one of their techs what he does while he was removing a wheel and he told me he was the brake guy. ****ing brake tech? GTFO

Edit: brake guy actually said he's really good at brakes.

REALLY GOOD AT BRAKES?

Last edited by hamburger_train; Apr 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Pep Boys told me it was the turbo?