Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO 8 valve springs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
EVO 8 valve springs

I think its funny that dave bushur got all excited about how weak the spring pressure on the evo 8 was comparred to stock springs found on the 4g63 dsm cars.

The stock springs on dsm cars have been revved to 8500 rpm with no problems and people have seen 9-10000 on miss shifts without valve float damage. makes sense to me. If I were building a car with a 7500 rpm redline I would put springs on it that could handle an accidental 9000rpm or more.

If were building a flagship mitsubishi (evo8) I would certainly put in the same safety net if not more. I think dave jumped to the wrong conclusion about how weak the stock evo8 spring is.

The stock evo valvetrain is far LIGHTER than the dsm valvetrain. It therefore does not need as heavy a spring as the dsm came with.

The stock dsm exhaust valve weighs 55 grams.
The stock evo8 exhaust valve weighs 44 grams.
Stock evo retainer 4 grams, dsm 9 grams.
I dont have a hollow stem intake valve to compare to a dsm valve but I am sure it is lighter by the same margins.

If you dont plan on making power past 8000rpm and you keep the killer stock evo valvetrain parts there is no reason to upgrade to power robbing heavy springs.

Larger duration cams do not put more stress on the stock springs. the larger duration profile is actually easier to follow than the stock lobe profile. the ramps start sooner and are more gradual.
as long as you dont get coil bind you are al good.

A good upgrade for the evo valves would be the crower 5 gram retainer and stock dsm springs.