Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Excess blow by even after catch can

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excess blow by even after catch can

My car is a built 2.3 and it runs good and never had white smoke..i had a problem with the oil dipstick popping regularly so i bought a catch can and connected it to the front and rear vents from the valve cover and connected the can to the intake before the turbo and blocked the line out from the intake manifold but i still have blow by and my dipstick pops and oil goes all over..also my catch can collects nothing!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Pics of your set up please, this way we can give more accurate advise as to what is going on and what you need to do to fix it.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
Pics of your set up please, this way we can give more accurate advise as to what is going on and what you need to do to fix it.
I dont have a pic because the car is at the workshop but it looks like this with the fatch can linked to the intake pipe
Attached Thumbnails Excess blow by even after catch can-image.jpg  
Old Sep 6, 2014, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Do a leakdown test. Eventhough it doesn't smoke you may have one or more broken ring lands.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by wreckleford
Do a leakdown test. Eventhough it doesn't smoke you may have one or more broken ring lands.
All the 4 are the same and the car is performing well
Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Titish
I dont have a pic because the car is at the workshop but it looks like this with the fatch can linked to the intake pipe
Where is the filter for the catch can to vent to atmosphere?

Also what size lines are those and why only two, I would run 3 lines off the valve cover at about -10 each.

Here is my valve cover

Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:17 PM

How are your valve guides, does the car smoke on cold start? You said it's a built 2.3... Is your piston to wall clearance on the loose side?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

You guys are shooting way outside the box here. He tested it, it's fine he is just having blow by issues. I have been there, dipstick jumped out the tube so fast it left a mark on the bottom side of the hood and oil went everywhere.

A sufficient catch can system will stop that, even with it he still may have to make a retainer spring for the dipstick in high psi situations.

Am I the only one that noticed that his catch can has a lid on it and not a filter, there isn't a vac source going to the intake that I can see in the pic either. Come on attention to detail people.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's no place for the gases to go... that set up is just a loop.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:49 PM

Am I the only one that noticed that his catch can has a lid on it and not a filter, there isn't a vac source going to the intake that I can see in the pic either. Come on attention to detail people.
That's not "his" catch can. As he stated, his has a hose to the intake, before the turbo. [Found a detail]

Also, a filter would negate the effect of any vacuum source. The can needs to be sealed to be under vacuum [Found another detail]
Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
That's not "his" catch can. As he stated, his has a hose to the intake, before the turbo. [Found a detail]

Also, a filter would negate the effect of any vacuum source. The can needs to be sealed to be under vacuum [Found another detail]
True my can has a line connected to the filter and acts as a vacuum ... My fittings are the stock ones...will adding a vent in the valve cover and going to bigger fittings solve the problem??my car is running gt37 turbo and is seeing high boost
Old Sep 6, 2014, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by i8acobra

Not to be mean here, but if your comprehension was half as good as your need to be cute you would have found no details. So your telling me that those lines from his valve cover going to that black can behind the drivers side headlight is not his catch can?

Details right?

No duh the can needs to be sealed for vacuum, as I mentioned in my post that there are no visible lines going to the intake (pipe before turbo) that it wouldn't work. It would need to be vented to atmosphere which it isn't. All you did was look silly
Old Sep 6, 2014, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

True my can has a line connected to the filter and acts as a vacuum ... My fittings are the stock ones...will adding a vent in the valve cover and going to bigger fittings solve the problem??my car is running gt37 turbo and is seeing high boost
So the lines going from your valve cover to that black can have a vacuum source from the intake on your turbo?

Here is a good read, check it out... Then get back to us!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html
Old Sep 6, 2014, 07:38 PM

Not to be mean here, but if your comprehension was half as good as your need to be cute you would have found no details. So your telling me that those lines from his valve cover going to that black can behind the drivers side headlight is not his catch can?
No, that's not his catch can. See his quote below. That is "like" his, but isn't his.

Details right?
Don't be an a*s. Keep reading...

No duh the can needs to be sealed for vacuum, as I mentioned in my post that there are no visible lines going to the intake (pipe before turbo) that it wouldn't work. It would need to be vented to atmosphere which it isn't. All you did was look silly
Again, that pic is not his car. Still think I look silly? See his quote below.

i bought a catch can and connected it to the front and rear vents from the valve cover and connected the can to the intake before the turbo !
Migsubishi, I get that you're looking at my post count and thinking "freakin' newb", but trust me... I'm no newb. Just trying to offer advice, not trying to tread on anyone's "turf".

Last edited by i8acobra; Sep 6, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 07:41 PM

No. Don't add a vent. Start by just adding a 3rd line, like Migsubishi's picture.

Quick Reply: Excess blow by even after catch can