Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Triple Disk engagement issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Triple Disk engagement issue

What's going on guys. I'm have a clutch engagement issue that i'm stumped on.
I just finished my build and was trying to put some miles on the new motor, clutch, tranny for the break-in when last week at a stop light, the clutch pedal got soft and wouldn't disengage to go into gear when the engines running.
Got the car towed to the house, swapped in a new master cylinder i had laying around, bleed the system and everything worked again. Drove it again for about another week and 300 miles and bam, samething again at a stop light. Spongy clutch pedal feel and no clutch disengagement .
Towed the car home again, looked over the master and slave cylinder for leaks and didn't find any but did notice that my braided clutch line wasn't "completely" tightened into the slave and was pinching against my UICP. Fixed them both and started bleeding the system again which took way longer than usual .
As I was pumping the pedal, and it started to get more feel, I heard a pop from the clutch area and pedal got hard near the bottom. Took a look at my TOB, clutch, and monoloc thru the inspection hole and everything looked normal. Checked the pedal again and the pedal feel is back and the car goes in gear now but it's extremely notchy in some gears. 1st is easy, 2nd and 3rd take some effort (more than usual) and reverse is a lil harder, I have to throw it in another gear first for it to go in.
I'm out of idea's, i'm hoping it isn't the clutch since it's been intermittent. I might try bleeding it some more but I don't see anything but fluid come from the valve.
Here's a run thru of everything I checked and/or changed:
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Clutch line
TOB
Monoloc
Shift fork
Clutch engagement rod
Also, there's a slight vibration in the pedal halfway down. I noticed it when i was driving before but it rode completely fine. Thanks guys.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Update:
Adjusted the clutch engagement rod again and now it goes thru the gears like normal. Drove it for about 20 miles. Still have the vibration in the pedal but the car drives and rev's normally. So weird. Still kind of worried about it losing engagement again.Anybody have an idea how it would hold pressure for so long and loose it without leaks?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey did you ever figure out what the issue is? I'm kind of in the same boat right now :-/
Old Dec 15, 2015, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With a vibration in the pedal, check to make sure all your pressure plate bolts are tight. I had my pressure plate bolts back out on me a bit. I caught it before I was having engagement issues. My pedal had quite a vibration in it though.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:27 AM

when you were installing the clutch, did you polish the towers on the flywheel that the clutch cover bolts to? from the factory or even over time they can warp, distort and get material buildup on them that will result in really terrible feeling clutch and the clutch not disengaging fully. i dont know if affects the triple plates or not but it definitely is a twin plate problem.

procedure is described here on jacks transmissions website.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...clutch-warning