Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

300hp Tuning Cost?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300hp Tuning Cost?

Does anyone know the approximate cost of tuning an Evolution VIII to 300hp?
There is much discussion about the STI having 300hp.
It would seem to be pretty easy to get 300hp from the Evolution.
Didn't I see an article on the VII that dynoed @320hp in Cali.
What is the big deal of a six speed? I have never driven one.
I can't remember ever saying "damn I wish I had another gear!"
I can however remember saying "damn I wish my car was lighter!"
Thanks for the help in advance
Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

You will be able to get 300 or so hp with just a few mods. Less than $1000. Really there is no big deal to having a 6-speed. A strong 5-speed with optimum gear ratios is better than an unproven 6-speed imo.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd say cold air intake and cat back exhaust and you'd be sitting really close to 300hp. If not, really, really close.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:24 PM

The article on the Evo in "EVO" (the UK car rag) said that their new Evolution "was rated at 276 HP, but some engineers at Mitsubishi in-the-know rate the figure closer to 307..." - or something to that effect. So for whatever that's worth...
With all the restriction supposedly in the factory exhaust, I wouldn't be surprised to see a well developed, high-quality catback system free up about 10-15 HP. Then again, I'm not an engineer, so someone will probably call BS on me....
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I think with a "Type R" badge, a giant "Powered by Mitsubishi" windshield banner, those 'Cobra Eyes' windshield washers and a light-up 'Afterburner' tailpipe, you'd be up to 300hp at least, maybe 400.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boost controller
Old Feb 12, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In other words, probably less then the cost difference bewteen the 8 and an STi. Now it just remains to be proven if the Evo will handle better...
Old Feb 12, 2003, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by rollo
I think with a "Type R" badge, a giant "Powered by Mitsubishi" windshield banner, those 'Cobra Eyes' windshield washers and a light-up 'Afterburner' tailpipe, you'd be up to 300hp at least, maybe 400.
ROTFLOL

I have to agree with 4g63 Attack, a boost controller will probably be the cheapest (less than $50) and easiest way to get the car from 271 to 300 fwhp.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Fireball
I'd say cold air intake and cat back exhaust and you'd be sitting really close to 300hp. If not, really, really close.
CAI??? If im correct i understand a CAI to not be good for turbo applications! The shorter the intake pipe the better as far as turbo goes!
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

i dont know if a manual boost controller would cut it to make this application better because by mitsubishi's specs., the 16g's solenoid restrictor is already allowing it to spool up to 19psi, then it drops to 16.25 where they rate the 271hp at 6500 rpms... if it held the 19psi to redline, at approx. 8hp gain per psi (reflective of turbo size) the 2.75 extra boost alone with get you close to your desired 300 hp, so maybe a greddy profec b eclectronic boost controller would work better.... also a little intake upgrade will help a bit but not much seeing as the turbo pulls the air in through whatever, thats more a throttle response thing... downpipe would be better than exhaust because it looked like the evo already had a pretty sizey for a stock exhaust when i saw it at the show, the downpipe tends to make better gains since its right after the turbo, and fills up with exhaust first, but i dont know any of this for sure, its just what ive seen on the eclipse turbo and galant vr-4. One other option is what these guys are doing at www.vishnutuning.com which is flashing the ecu to remap air/fuel ratios and alter boost on the wrx, which is a way different system so dont quote me, but they have dynos that display power at the motor going from 227 up to 260 or so, pretty impressive....
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TeamRedline808

CAI??? If im correct i understand a CAI to not be good for turbo applications! The shorter the intake pipe the better as far as turbo goes!
True...but you also have understand the colder the ambient temp. is that induced to the turbo the better. That's why you see guys who drag proffessionally have the intake to the turbine sticking out the front fiberglass shell of the drag car. This application would be nice but very impracticle for street applications(weather)...PEACE
sidenote..most of people still run with their MAS unit anyways, don't want it too close the turbo which is usually right next to the block and exhaust manifold(heat)

FOR 300: intake, exhaust w/ down pipe, piggyback or stand alone ECU and of course boost controller. $cost depends on the maker and type. But you definitely have 300hp...most likely more! Have fun!! PEACE

Last edited by ishi; Feb 12, 2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

CAI wouldnt do much on the 8. when I saw it in the show, it seems like one of the big nostrils (driver side) is ducted to the intake box already.. its drawing in cool air.. a free-er flowing filter might help out, but not much, and you'd probably have to repipe the intake to keep the cold air duct working. I dont think that ecu remap will be necessary for 300hp. the reason they need to alter it on the wrx for big gains is b/c it's turbo will not go past 15(?) psi, so you cant make it boost much more than stock, so the air/fuel and timing come into play more..
The best bet would be downpipe, possibly removing the extra resonator, and upping the pipe diameter past cat. the exhaust tip is 4", but the actual tubing before it is like 2-1/4 - 2.5". After that, boost controller would be a good bet too, plus it will smoothen it's response more.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

A good Downpipe and EBC or MBC will easily get you 300. Are you wanting 300@crank or 300@wheels? I'm waiting to see what success others have with mods before I modify mine. I'd love to up the boost first thing but the turbo's already pushing 19psi. That's a lot for a stocker. The Turbo Supra only pushed 11.5psi stock. I'm wondering how much more boost the stock turbo in the Evo 8 can hold. Can't wait to find out though. Although here in Smog **** California it's getting harder and harder to keep a modified car. They're giving way too much power to cops if that law passes allowing them to impound your car based on their judgement alone.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GPTourer
In other words, probably less then the cost difference bewteen the 8 and an STi. Now it just remains to be proven if the Evo will handle better...
don't worry, a stock evo will outhandle a stock STi anyday, anywhere

Quick Reply: 300hp Tuning Cost?