Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Please Break down Alky Injection for me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Break down Alky Injection for me

Okay. First and foremost let me say I AM NOT asking what Alky injection is. I know what it is. Nor am I asking how does alky injection benefit me. I know that as well. I know alky injection helps prevent detonation and knock, allowing you to advance more timing, run more lean, and run more boost. That is not my question.

My question is this: How real world of an application is alky injection? You will have to excuse me, I am coming from a DSM world where alky injection is a COMPLETE rarity, However it seems in the EVO world it is a commonplace mod. I mean as soon as someone asks how to make more power they are told get an alky injection kit. I do not understand this. Here is my reasoning. Obviously we know the benefits of alky injection, so I can obviously understand why it would benefit you on the Dyno or on a track. But how much benefit is it going to be in daily driving? Take me for example. I am one HELL of an aggressive daily driver. But is it really plausible for me to get an alky injection kit? I mean of course I would run it on the dyno or on the track. But am I going to run the kit 24/7 whenever I am driving? That just doesn’t seems realistic. Of course I realize you can just run windshield wiper fluid which is very cheap, but still.....

I guess my main thing is this. Wouldn’t the main benefit of alky injection be contained to track use or Dyno runs? Not daily driving? Which would mean all of those tunes on Alky injection are worthless for day to day driving? If it IS beneficial to day to day driving please explain it to me. I mean how plausible is it to run an alky kit 24/7? Now please do not say "well when you are racing just turn on the kit!" That is quite unrealistic. I am seriously interested in this information because I am considering if this is a worthwhile modification or not. I always do all of my reading on something before I make a decision. I tried to ascertain the answer from the boards here but my question was not really answered. Most of the posts on alky injection where just what did it do? Or how much of a gain is it? Please remember guys, dont tell me WHAT alky injection is, or the benefit of it. I am asking how plausible and beneficial is it in a real world daily driving application. Also I guess my thought pattern is this, if you dont run alky injection 24/7, then that tuning you did at the dyno on alky injection is completely worthless for day to day driving correct? Because of course you cant run the same timing and boost if there is no alky injection correct?

Thanks a lot in advance guys. Also if this is an obvious question let me apologize ahead of time. I am genuinely interested in the answer. Thanks.

- Sayajin

Last edited by Sayajin; Sep 1, 2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You run the alky at a boost YOU set. (control knob) lets say it will start spraying at 10-12 psi, it is where you set it! You also have an on/off switch, where as you can leave it off for just daily driving, and turn it on if someone pulls up next to you and wants to "dance"! I used to run 110 LEADED, but just when someone pulls up to me, I am usually out of it in my tank. I have 2 choices here:

1. ask the guy to pull over and wait for me to put the race gas in, or
2. alky kit!!

Last edited by smokedmustang; Sep 1, 2005 at 05:48 PM. Reason: ...
Old Sep 1, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
You run the alky at a boost YOU set. (control knob) lets say it will start spraying at 10-12 psi, it is where you set it! You also have an on/off switch, where as you can leave it off for just daily driving, and turn it on if someone pulls up next to you and wants to "dance"! I used to run 110 LEADED, but just when someone pulls up to me, I am usually out of it in my tank. I have 2 choices here:

2. alky kit!!

That's only if you can switch between maps that you can turn it on and off. If you don't have a utec or aem, etc and use flash then you have to always leave the alky kit ON.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by smokedmustang

2. alky kit!!

I understand the switch thing if you are running a UTEC, course you would have to switch it on AND switch your maps. But the boost setting doesnt mean anything. I mean lets say you hit full boost at 3500RPM, even if you have the alky setting at high boost, it is still essentially running ALWAYS, since you will hit full boost so often, or at least I would. I mean I shift at redline during daily driving. So wouldn’t that essentially be an always on thing?

-Sayajin
Old Sep 1, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

I want to know also....
Old Sep 1, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it would be on all the time if you shift at redline all the time, I guess the alky is the least of your problems shifting that high, I would watch for the gear shift knob to pop off and hit you in the eye any day, or the TC, tranny taking a dump on you.
I have the alkycontrol kit, and the XEDE, I was under the impression that you can have it on or off, and it was independent on maps or standalones. I guess I am going over my head on even trying to answer this. ask Al, Bushur, Vishnu etc... maybe they will answer this post and help me out! Maybe the Bushur kit is different.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

if you have alky and are tuned for it then you definetely want to leave it on unless you have another map to switch it to. alky makes your car run very rich therefore you have to retune it to lean it back out. if you turn the alky off then you are gonna be running very lean. not a good idea.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

why would alky make the car run rich!^
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:38 PM

I think it depends on how you would want to set your car to. Some wants to race at every change they get, others set the car up so that they can drive to the track, unleash the beast, drive back home normal. Todays ECU's are alot better than before, you can program settings for either everyday driving and the track. There are so many things that you can do to these things. That doesn't mean only the Evo can have this set up, any car. It depends on how you want your car to be set up, and a tuner that can do it right and clean.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'd like to know the same but nobody has given a decent answer yet.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo542
why would alky make the car run rich!^

Just think of it as extra fuel being dumped in the chamber. More fuel then air = running rich
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on the type of "kit" you get; I would suggest making your own kit. You can make one for less than $150 for either a dual or single stage. You use boost pressure switches inline a vacuum source, that way you adjust an allen key on the boost pressure switch to activate THAT "injector" to spray whatever mixture *100% methanol>* at a certain boost pressure. So say you want to boost 20psi, what's worked for me on my Eclipse with a fp3065 is activating the first injector around 14psi (lower and you'll bogg, higher and it wont really do its job in preventing detonation/knock) and second around 20psi. For me driving around town I rarely used to boost so no point of it then, but when I did "get" on it it activated promptly shooting ~700cc of methanol directly into my intake tract. By doing so I was able to achieve ~26psi with 20degrees timing advance on 93pump gas. I hadn't a chance to find out it's limits but they are way up there. I have also tried out different fluid combinations and the end all result is 100% methanol nets the most hp/knock prevention. The main thing is to find out the amt of methanol you want to inject into your motor. I had to try out several sizes of injectors and finally came to the "perfect" setup for my car. Utilizing 950cc injectors, 255lph hi press fuel pump, stock rail/lines/fpr, I chose an m15 nozzle. There is a LOT more info I can give you if you'd like..feel free to PM me. Other than that its a DEFINATELY worthwhile modification, probably the best mod after a PLX wideband.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

I plan on putting alky on my car, but I wouldn't do it without EMS.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:27 PM

Also, if the answer IS you are running it 24/7. How often are you forced to refill your alky tank? I am talking about a normal average size tank. Not one you custom made to fill your entire trunk. Thanks.

-Sayajin
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

1gal tank (stock rear windshielf washer resevoir on a 2G) lasted me a tankful of fuel ~13gals.

Quick Reply: Please Break down Alky Injection for me