Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer keeps calling me....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer keeps calling me....

About a month or 2 ago I was interested in selling my car for an IX. Since then, I've decided to keep the car because I thought I'd lose to darn much. Well, this morning the dealer calls again and wakes me the f*** up from my sleep and asks if I am still interested in trading/selling in my car. I reply and say yes, with a catch, only if I don't lose to much money, which I know is impossible because this is the stealership we're talking about. But to get down to business, the dude was like if I can find somebody to buy the car from you, would you buy our new IX's... I was like hmm, like I said if I don't lose to much and I get a good discount on the IX. They are charging 34.9k for the IX, and 37 for the MR.... Still to ridiculously high if you ask me.... What is the least I should trade or sell my car for if I were to go back into hunting mode because the thing that swayed me away when he called was the fact that cars arn't selling to good right now since gas prices and car vehicle MRSP's are at its peak during this sesaon.... So I know he was trying to trick me, and I ain't that stupid, no anymore!!! I aint losing money in trading my darn car in ever again! I rather sell it private party lol.. If you guys could give me insight on what I should do, I would appreciate it...

P.S. by the way... he says dealers never use the kbb or edmunds and that people can only get loans that are only 25% over what I wanted..... Not sure if this is true or not, **** I never believe those basterds at the stealership!

Last edited by fareastkorean; Apr 28, 2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Here's an MR on ebay for #34k - so you can do better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3ASS%3AUS%3A1
Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Do not do anything that is going to cost you money. They apperently realy need to sell some new cars. I have found that if you keep them on the hook eventualy they will give in. It is after all getting close to the end of the month and all dealers have sales numbers to keep up.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

first you talk price of the car.. when you have that all hashed out.. THEN you talk about trade in. If you tell them you're going to trade your car in up front, the dealer is going to be working the backend of the deal into the the frontend of the deal.

just my 2cents
Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
first you talk price of the car.. when you have that all hashed out.. THEN you talk about trade in. If you tell them you're going to trade your car in up front, the dealer is going to be working the backend of the deal into the the frontend of the deal.

just my 2cents
+1

Once you start the "Haggling" of the price of the car then you can say "I have a trade", you will have to be very tough when it comes to your trade in, in order for you to get what you want price wise...

you never know what they will/can do for trade until you start the price process...

Side note..

I had a 2004 6speed Acura TL as a trade... they wanted to give me 17k for trade at the begginng of negotiations... end result i got my evo ix for 500 over invoice.... and they gave me 25k for my trade.... so with some really tough negotiations, and about 6 hours ish.... i got what i wanted price wise as well as trade wise....
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Well if the car is paid for you wouldn't totally lose your ***.. but if it's not private party will be the only way to go.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

the only benefit I see is......tax break from trade-in, other than that, you'll be losing lots of money....probably in the neighborhood of $10K(assuming you still owe $20K on your current 04')...give or take...

no matter how good of a deal you get, the dealer will always make $$$$....

Last edited by djskyy; Apr 28, 2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Since I do work for a dealer( not a car store) no offense but if you are financing the car which I asssume you are, go in there with a monthly payment that you wont go over, make it just a bit higher that what you have now and go in there saying that if you can get my payment to this ill make the deal. Trust me, it works a lot better than going in there and fighting about your trade and what the new one will sell for.

The dealer will wise up, if it works on selling 100,000 rv's it will work on a 34k car.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

well i still would sell your car privately, it might take some time but you might be able to get what you want. trade ins i feel are usually a rip off unless as rich 1 say you haggle like a ****. i traded in my 02 rsx auto with close to i beleive 30 thosand miles, i first went to car max had them appraise it when i put it back to stock then me , my father and mother went to mitsu coconut creek we haggled like crazy and got about 16 for my rsx 2 thousand to pay the rest of my acura off and the rest went to my 05 evo not to mention i got my 05 evo without sll for around $28. just depends on your bargaining skills partner
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a real good trick. Negotiate the price of the car first. Don't mention the trade at all. Once you get the price you want and they agree to that tell him to give you a few minutes to think about it and when he come back then tell him " Ok we have a deal at that price IF you can give me this much for my trade....." Its a shady od way of doing it but it puts most stealerships on the spot. I use to work for Volvo and BMW and the real good negotiators use this tactic. Works real well
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much do you want for your trade?let me help you out here...
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

As for 20k trade in, and $500 below invoice on the new car. Stay firm.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:23 AM

if they keep calling you back about your car, then its because they have a buyer who wants a used 8. In other words they are looking at 2 deals instead of one, because they can sell your car and sell you a car at the same time. Which means that you have what they want, so you control the situation.... make them give you what you want. I used to work in car sales.... if you have something a dealer watns, they will do whatever it is they can to get it, so push them to the limits.

Someone else mentioned going in there and negotiating a payment... that is a good option. Remember you never want to really "negotiate" just go in with a number and say "if you can do it for this then you got a deal" dealerships like to here a commitment, and if that means going down to invoice or under for that deal, they will do it. But also be reasonable... don't expect to get 5k more than what your car is worth, or 7k under invoice on the new car... dealerships can afford to take a small loss, but they won't take a big one.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Just keep what you have.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

u should tell him, since they can't give you that much for your Evo due to the fact that they dont sell well, because of gas prices, etc., They should sell you a IX for cheap since they're having such a hard time selling them. I bought my Evo IX GSR for 32k OTD. Tell your dealership to f*** off. lol. Most people on average pay about 34k for a IX GSR OTD. I agree with the whole 'give them your current payment and make them come close' thing.

Quick Reply: Dealer keeps calling me....