Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car won't start - searched, please help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start - searched, please help

The car is a bone stock 05, no mods at all. It has been sitting outside the past 3 weeks. It was cold, but today is almost in the 40's. It was working just fine before I parked it.

It doesn't crank at all. The battery is fine - everything works and I tried to jump start to no avail. I can hear the fuel pump and the clutch pedal pushes the switch all the way in. The only sounds I hear are the fuel pump and a very faint clicking when I turn the key.

I don't want to have it towed to the dealership. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A similar situation happened to me, however mine was turning over. I drove mine into my shop and turned it off. It didn't start again. No 12v to prime the pump. I did get 9v while it was cranking and a small amt. of fuel. No injector pulse, but I did have spark. I even had a friend bring me my other key. Had it towed to Mitsu and they "put a fuel pump in it." I do not know why I even told them what I had done. I even dought they put a pump in it because I found where the tech had been under my dash. It runs now.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:27 PM

I do get 12V but doesn't crank at all. As if I am not pushing the clutch pedal...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrEvoRS
The car is a bone stock 05, no mods at all. It has been sitting outside the past 3 weeks. It was cold, but today is almost in the 40's. It was working just fine before I parked it.

It doesn't crank at all. The battery is fine - everything works and I tried to jump start to no avail. I can hear the fuel pump and the clutch pedal pushes the switch all the way in. The only sounds I hear are the fuel pump and a very faint clicking when I turn the key.

I don't want to have it towed to the dealership. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Same thing happened to mine.

It snowed and I left the car parked for 1 night. Next morning I tried to start up and crank was very slow and car won't start. I found out it was my mini battery. Battery power dies quicker in cold.

Later that night, I tried to restart but I hear clicking instead.

I jumped started it from someone's altima whose battery terminal was covered in acid. It didnt' work. Off of my brother's explorer it worked.

It could be the battery that you are trying to jump start off of that's the problem.

Try to jump start from a different car.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

if the battery is ok it might be the starter...or it could be like what happened in this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=313115
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

If the you crank and it won't even crank it should be a starter issue, if you could get your hands on the DMM do voltage drop on the wire that goes to the starter. The voltage that require to start is 9.6v at the battery when you crank it so if it is below there is problem.

Last edited by eclipsegsx012; Dec 19, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

you could try using a long extension and tap on the starter while someone cranking the engine
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

check the ECU fuse. with the key in the 'ON' position look for the SES light, if you don't see it the fuse is blown.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with Eclipse.. get your hands on a DMM (Digital Multimeter) and read the voltage at the starter.. Or before that, check all your fuses and relay's.. then with your DMM check the source voltage, and cable to post voltage drops on both the negative and positive side.. the positive should be at or just under source voltage maybe a .05V - .15V difference, then the negative.. it should come back a little above 0V.. if it comes back as the same as the positive side you probably have an open circuit or a short to ground (can't remember exactly which one, it's been about 2 months since my Adv. Electronic & Diagnosis at U.T.I.)
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check them all tomorrow. Hopefully it is something simple.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

a blown ECU fuse wont cause the car not to crank, it'll only cause it not to start. just like i said earlier. use a long extension or something that you can tap the starter while have someone try to crank the engine. if it still won't crank, then you have to check the wires on the starter. there is two wires on the start. one is a thick one that come from the battery and then there is a skinny one that come from the ignition switch. the thick one should have constant 12v from the battery all the time and the skinny one should have 12v when you turn the key to the starting position. if both have power and it still wont crank. then the starter is bad. if the skinny wire doesn't have power when you turn the key to the starting position then you need to check your clutch switch and the ignition swich. sorry for the long post
Old Dec 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

so any update on your issue?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:04 PM

It is down to starter and clutch switch. Couldn't get my hands on a DMM yet. I may have it towed to the dealer and get it taken care of next week, since I still have the warranty... I will update once I find out.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrEvoRS
It is down to starter and clutch switch. Couldn't get my hands on a DMM yet. I may have it towed to the dealer and get it taken care of next week, since I still have the warranty... I will update once I find out.
I wouldn't recommend doing this but since you can't get DMM what you could do is try to jump the starter, meaning give direct 12v from battery to the starter and try to crank it over if it does start than the wire from battery to the starter is either have high resistance or open, If it still doesn't start it could be the starter. Good luck with it keep us posted
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
it's the starter...someone mentioned an oldy but goldy...tap the starter with an extension while someone tries to crank it.

Quick Reply: Car won't start - searched, please help